Doppeltrommel on sturm

Tripods, ammo cans, gunners kit, etc.
mgfun
Oberleutnant
Oberleutnant

Doppeltrommel on sturm

Post by mgfun »

I saw this add in case anyone cared.

I can't recall the differences between the 15 and 34 mags, a tension adjustment I think. Anyhow, this one looks pretty rough and I'm not so sure its the right mag - but just in case:

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/webBBS/parts.cgi?read=301514

It's not mine and maybe its not advertised right, so I put this here. Is that thing authentic?

Regards,
mgfun
mgfun
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator
Anti-spam: Mg42

Re: Doppeltrommel on sturm

Post by JBaum »

Sure looks like DT 15 (MG15 mag) in the picture to me. A close up of that spot would be the clincher.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
mgfun
Oberleutnant
Oberleutnant

Post by mgfun »

I thought I recalled seeing pictures where there was an arrow and a set of central tension adjusters, but I don't trust my memory.

The seller was declaring that the drum mag was 'very different' from a DT15 one that he had looked over. Well...maybe not.

Since it looks like it laid in a farmers field for a few years, I think his price, if a DT15 version, is like wow.

Regards,
Bill
mgfun
TactAdv
Major
Major

Post by TactAdv »

It is mechanically a PT-34 though of interesting pedigree....some parts correct, some not.

-First easy way to distinguish are the much larger center axle holes in the covers of the real PT-34, as here- (the DT-15 covers use much smaller axle holes),
-Second, the rear axle holes are not surrounded by a rivet set as they are on a DT-15 (correct PT-34 here),
-lastly, the PT-34 latch is different (a DT-15 one installed here),
-Mfgr & acceptance markings differ,

...this one has the correct coverplates, indicating correct adjustable internals, but the latch is a DT-15 latch (likely salvaged and added because the restorer didn't realize there is a significant difference), the FL numbers on the drum body are not probably wrong in the sense that seemingly existing actual DT-15 marked drum bodies were in fact used at times, and in the poor pictures there is no way to tell if any WaA markings exist on the hold-down plate, or if the tensioning instructions are on the front cover plate (though I do see the correct direction arrow in one picture there, so likely yes)......

So, it appears mechanically correct, minus the obviously wrong latch...so, IMHO, noting the damn near absolute rarity of ANYTHING "PT-34ish" even remotely genuine, $800.00 is a steal....

More thoughts??
-TomH
Vieles ist bekannt, dass ist nicht offenbart.