Tripods, ammo cans, gunners kit, etc.
cbass
Hauptmann
Hauptmann
Anti-spam: Mg42

Mg34 Lafette built from/off Yugo lafette

Post by cbass »

Members of the forum,

It has been almost one year since I first got my mg34 (Project Guns Semi Auto) that I've been wanting since I was a child. Over the course this year I've been wanting to possibly get everything I can get in terms of accessories for my mg34. The biggest and I would say hardest item to get was a 34 lafette, unfortunately I did not have the 4-5k to put down on the or any tripod. So that is when I began to wonder can a mg42 lafette be converted to fit a mg34?

On the forum there was and is another discussion on how the mg34 can be adapted to fit the mg42/3 H&K lafette's by using a mount built from TNW (cost friendly $25) that will allow the mg34 to fit in the lafette. However that did not satisfy me because it will not allow you to do any quick barrel changes and its not close to the original either. But if you want to, you can still use the piece and it will work and fit properly on the German and Yugo mg42 lafettes. The only Issue with that is the trigger has to be removed for it to fit and sit in there properly. But if you want to have quick barrel change and the authentic look just know it can be done, if you have the right parts.

THE PROJECT BEGINS

The project now began and was underway & began in late October. My first challenge was that I had to get me a lafette. Luckily I did manage to find one, I actually purchased it from a gentleman off Facebook who is a reenactor / collector. I now had the setting stone to the project "The Lafette" (it was and is a Yugo mg42 Lafette). Now that I had that I had an almost impossible piece to buy and find! The Barrel Jacket Clamp.

I was extremely lucky to have gotten a barrel jacket clamp, as those are near impossible to find. But 42rocker was selling his and I desperately needed it (if im not mistaken there is a thread still where he has pictures of the clamp. I will still post photos though to make it easier for you all)! 42rocker was extremely polite and manged to work out a deal with me and over the course of a few months I managed to pay him for the clamp and he shipped it.

Now I had the two biggest pieces to the puzzle the Lafette & the clamp. And now I can get into the knitty gritty fun stuff.........or so I thought.

Im going to try to sum this up (not trying to write a novel) as accurate as I can, If I need to at any point go further into detail please feel free to ask.

I now at this point had the lafette and clamp. I decided to order from mg34.com an extra set of inner rails for the project. Once I received the rails it was off to work. First I had to cut off the entire mounting bracket from the mg42 lafette. Once that was completed I could then figure out how and where to mount the clamp. Now the clamp wasnt exactly ready to go either since it was cut short but thanks to both 42rocker and oli who managed to show and me hundreds of close up photos from almost every angle as well as measurements! I owe Both of you a huge thanks because it was alot of help.

So I had lafette, the clamp and other rails ready to go. I managed to find a place not far from me called Dixie metal who were definantly interested in the project and where not gonna charge me out the ass for it either. They were able to weld the clamp on the inner rails and make it as close as factory new as possible. I then managed to and was able to put it together and as of now is ready to rock and roll. The only thing right now that is an issue is the trigger which in time i Will have to work out but for now it works!

regards,

Sebastian 'cbass' Rupp
Attachments
ResizedImage_1387472765756.jpg