Mg 34 lafette.

Tripods, ammo cans, gunners kit, etc.
Kingo
Friendly New Guy
Friendly New Guy
Anti-spam: Mg42

Mg 34 lafette.

Post by Kingo »

Up untill August I had only a passing interest in mg's in general. The mg34 would have to be my favourite only on the grounds that I found it aesthetically pleasing. I collected small things such as belt buckles, they have the advantage of being easily secreted away thereby avoiding awkward questions. The last weekend in August I'm at my local dealer, as I leave I spot this lafette next to the door (I'd missed it on the way in!). Back in to the shop, it's not for sale it's reserved for someone. Anyway to cut a long story short after about a month the other guy can't be got hold of and it's sold to me. I sent some photos to Bergflak who kindly looked it over and the information on his site has been invaluable. It is a bit of a reconstitution. The upper mount is dated 1943 and made by Schluckebier, the lower mount is stamped s323 within a triangle, and the front leg and support strut are both stamped 'dar'. The search and fire mechanism is dated 1941 and made by Prazisionwerke (bga). It has been repainted and under the rear cover on the upper mount as well as on the retractable parts of the front leg and support strut is the green paint of which other county used this piece. The buffer tube is a different green and the optic block is painted black aluminium, but without markings.
Now here's my question any ideas on the green paint?

Dai
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
messerschmittfan
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann
Anti-spam: Mg42

Re: Mg 34 lafette.

Post by messerschmittfan »

Looks like post war Austrian Bundes Herr green to me. Harry
Pug42
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Re: Mg 34 lafette.

Post by Pug42 »

As a lot of MG34 lafettes ended up in Norway it could possibly be that country's green, although the photo makes it look much greyer than Norwegian Army green?
David

Stimme aus dem sumpf