6 Piece Barrel Shroud Used Over Barrel Jacket on Mark III Ta

Tripods, ammo cans, gunners kit, etc.
michaelangelo
Stabsunteroffizier
Stabsunteroffizier

6 Piece Barrel Shroud Used Over Barrel Jacket on Mark III Ta

Post by michaelangelo »

There is a picture of this in Myrvang's Book on page 273 (I think). I would be interested in purchasing the two small pieces if anyone has them lying around. Thanks.

Michaelangelo (new member)
Ed S
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Re: 6 Piece Barrel Shroud Used Over Barrel Jacket on Mark III Ta

Post by Ed S »

Good luck. I have the fortress mount these are used in but have not been able to find these pieces.
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

Welcome michaelangelo! Damien Horn probobaly has these by the bucketful! Seriously,I have never seen any,but you may want to contact him anyway-he has a lot of fortress mount stuff,as he lives on a fortress.He is a member here,and a real good guy. ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
Reichpapers
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by Reichpapers »

What parts are exactly looking for? Are you looking for the barrel shroud attachments for when the MG is used as a ground MG?
It's better to be silent and considered a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
michaelangelo
Stabsunteroffizier
Stabsunteroffizier

Post by michaelangelo »

Andy,

This barrel shroud pressure fits on the standard MG34 barrel jacket that has the AA sight mounting parts removed. The rear two parts fit into the ball mount of the tank. They each cover half of the barrel jacket and fit into the ball mount and the two pieces in front of them.

This grouping of parts was meant to protect the standard barrel jacket from combat damage and assuming the shroud was damaged the press fit pieces could be removed. A picture of this is on page 273 of Myrvang's book.

Michaelangelo
Ed S
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by Ed S »

I think the parts are used primarily for fortress mounts and not in armoured vehicles. I would like them myself, as I have the mount for them, but no luck so far.
michaelangelo
Stabsunteroffizier
Stabsunteroffizier

Post by michaelangelo »

I have been with the curator of the Patton Museum when we put these pieces on a 34 in the ball mount of a Mark III tank. These six pieces are required to hold the gun in the mount. Mr. Lemons said that I could donate them to the museum any time. They don' t have them.

I met Folke in April at Knob Creek. He knows of only one complete set. He doesn't have a set either.

Michaelangelo
Schnee

Post by Schnee »

Here are a couple of photos showing some of these adapter sleeves. They are in museums in France and Switzerland. The one in the ball mount is not together correctly. The one that is shown apart is marked cxn on all the pieces.