Any blueprints out there for making a MG34 transit chest?

Tripods, ammo cans, gunners kit, etc.
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Anti-spam: Mg42

Re: Any blueprints out there for making a MG34 transit chest?

Post by DARIVS ARCHITECTVS »

Matt wrote:why did you have a picture of your chest on the board, no wonder it crashed :D
:roll: Bil, stop teaching the the new kids your bad habits.
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

You make it so easy,no-one can resist! :lol: ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
Sturmgewehr83

Post by Sturmgewehr83 »

DARIVS ARCHITECTVS wrote:You tell'em Bergflak. I get tired of rehashing the old topics when some people don't even try the search engine. :search
Well I tried the search engine but I wasn`t trying to find out if the germans made transit chests or not but the plans with measurements to make a transit chest, and that my friend I could not find on this forum..

And I also found this on ww.germanmilitaria.co.uk :

http://www.germanmilitaria.co.uk/pics/mg34bx1copy.jpg
http://www.germanmilitaria.co.uk/pics/box342copy.jpg

"MG34 wooden transit box
With several compartments inside to hold all the basic equipment that goes with the MG34. It was made from a very strong wood to keep everything together and store the MG34 safe when transporting the MG"

No wonder some people though there was a german MG34 transit chest :shock:
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

It has the proyuguese markings,but it is a nice picture,if you are capable of building the box,you should be capable of using this picture and your 34 to make a duplicate. ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
resting
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel

Post by resting »

Bil wrote:It has the proyuguese markings,but it is a nice picture,if you are capable of building the box,you should be capable of using this picture and your 34 to make a duplicate. ---bil

I've been collecting photos of the Portugese boxes with exactly the same idea. This photo is a welcome addition. Now it is probably time to get on with it.
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

Oh,man-i shouldn't try to type before the meds kick in! :oops: That doesn't even look like a mis-spelling-thats just wrong![ ]Space for DA to add insult! ---bil
bergflak
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by bergflak »

Sturmgewehr83 wrote:
Well I tried the search engine but I wasn`t trying to find out if the germans made transit chests or not but the plans with measurements to make a transit chest, and that my friend I could not find on this forum..

And I also found this on www.germanmilitaria.co.uk :

http://www.germanmilitaria.co.uk/pics/mg34bx1copy.jpg
http://www.germanmilitaria.co.uk/pics/box342copy.jpg

"MG34 wooden transit box
With several compartments inside to hold all the basic equipment that goes with the MG34. It was made from a very strong wood to keep everything together and store the MG34 safe when transporting the MG"

No wonder some people though there was a german MG34 transit chest :shock:
:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Do NOT believe everything you find on the net to be real or correct. The link above is a private collector in the UK. Although he has a few nice items, he has listed almost every single Yugo-made MG34 accessory ever made/built and presented it as German WW2! That homepage is a snake pit for the unexperienced collector!
Mit freundlichen Grüße

Bergflak
www.bergflak.com
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

You mean that some of the stuff on the internet is NOT true???? Well,this changes everything! :shock: I am going to have to think things through all over-what a developement! :? The picture on that site is ofviously a PORTUGUESE box,but it IS for a 34,and would be as accurate as any other you could come up with.At least you could say that it might be what the Germans would have built,if they had built any.So much for the internet! ---bil
bergflak
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by bergflak »

Bil wrote:You mean that some of the stuff on the internet is NOT true???? Well,this changes everything! :shock: I am going to have to think things through all over-what a developement! :? The picture on that site is ofviously a PORTUGUESE box,but it IS for a 34,and would be as accurate as any other you could come up with.At least you could say that it might be what the Germans would have built,if they had built any.So much for the internet! ---bil

IAW

Bil! At this point I must stress that everything I say/write/brag about etc is of course 110% corect/true. :mrgreen: The comment above is valid towards what everybody ELSE is writing :puk:
Mit freundlichen Grüße

Bergflak
www.bergflak.com
Ed S
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by Ed S »

BRP sells their transit boxes for $295. Or just get Reidar to send you an original one :mrgreen:
bergflak
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by bergflak »

:puk:

That one hurt, well below the belt, Ed! :lol: :lol:
Mit freundlichen Grüße

Bergflak
www.bergflak.com
transitchest

Post by transitchest »

I have found a real true German Transit chest and the correct diminions and will be geting the correct hardware from Germany in about a week.
Sara
bergflak
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by bergflak »

transitchest wrote:I have found a real true German Transit chest and the correct diminions and will be geting the correct hardware from Germany in about a week.
Sara

GREAT NEWS! :cheer: :wnana: :bnija:
We have all been waiting for the breakthrough! All we need now are pictures of the box!
And I assume you have found a "real true German Transit chest" for the Mg34 ?
I have plenty of German WW2 transit chests from mortar to pistol (and one I suspect is for bananas :wnana: ), but so far the chicken-teeth rare MG34 transit box has gotten away!
Mit freundlichen Grüße

Bergflak
www.bergflak.com
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

That would be good.I once got a transit chest for eggs,I thought it was original German,but it turned out to be Norwegian,slightly post-war.But it is still a nice addition to my collection. ---bil
transitchest

Post by transitchest »

[I made a Friend that was a former German Calvary Soldier durring the Second War, he has helped me with the correct MG34 Transit Chest and found a source for the Harware for me in Germany. The original Transit Chest Held the MG34 with the Butt stock attached, One E tin (ammo Can) , double or single barrel carrier and a space for a gunners kit. It was also to my suprise that the transit chest were not marked with what the contents held (example MG34) as he said only the Manufatures code marks and division marks were present with a lot of other stamping . The color was German Gray, (close colr match elephant gray). I am sharing you my first picture of a chest I built with a modification to hold a saddle drum instead of where the barrel carrier should have been. (The hinges and hardware are not correct on this chest)
Sara
MG34transitchest.com
Attachments
securedownload4.jpg
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

Very nice! ---bil
Sturmgewehr83

Post by Sturmgewehr83 »

transitchest wrote:[I made a Friend that was a former German Calvary Soldier durring the Second War, he has helped me with the correct MG34 Transit Chest and found a source for the Harware for me in Germany. The original Transit Chest Held the MG34 with the Butt stock attached, One E tin (ammo Can) , double or single barrel carrier and a space for a gunners kit.
So this means that original german made MG34 transit chests did exist after all? I`m a little confused here..
bergflak
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by bergflak »

Sturmgewehr83 wrote: So this means that original german made MG34 transit chests did exist after all? I`m a little confused here..
Weeeeel, I wouldn't bring out the baloons and uncork the champagne just yet.....

So far, "Transitchest" has made himself a nice chest based upon the memory of a friend. As "conclusive evidence" I am afraid that we have come no further!
Mit freundlichen Grüße

Bergflak
www.bergflak.com
Blanksguy
General
General

Post by Blanksguy »

......notice....."transitchest" has not posted a photo of an "original" MG34 Transit-Chest........just a photo of a reproduction.

On a side-note........you still have to realize that evn though a shipping-crate/storage-crate had to have been made for shipping numbers of MG34 and MG42 Machineguns during WWII........even these will be made differently to hold those items issued with the weapon "at the time of manufacture and shipping"......."and" at times without "deviders" on the insides for accessories and/or spare-barrel(s).
An example of this would be early MG34s may have been shipped with more spare-barrels than later manufactured MG34s as we are told that initially, MG34s were shipped with a total of 4 Barrel-Assemblies (1 in the gun and 3-spare-barrel-assemblies. This would require more room in the box...........
Later, they were not shipped with all of the earlier accessories.....and again, would be a different-styles for the MG34 standard MG ......vs. .....the MG34 "Tanker" model....vs...... the MG42.

Question:
Has anyone been able to come up with any of the photos from that old issue of either "Machinegun-Times" or early "Small-Arms-Review" where they visited old Yugoslavia and photographed the boxes full of new WWII German MP-44s.......and new WWI German MG42s in crates (?).

Guys, in all reality, there may not be any "original" MG34 or MG42 shipping/storage-crates to get photographs of.
The best that anyone may be able to do is to go by the guidelines of what is available in photos.........use the correct period "hard-ware" (hinges, metal-corners, latches, etc.) like those used on K98 crates and other WWII German Crates that have survived..........and make your own crate.
Then when you design your crate........make it "believeable" in that it would have been shipped with at least one spare-barrel-assembly in carrier (remember head-space)........and maybe an earlier example would have a Gunners-pouch for the spare-bolt/AA-Sight/Tools........but not much more. A carry-sling would have been either thrown into the crate, or attached to the gun. Ammo-Cans were used/issued in bulk........assault-drums w/carriers and ammo-cans would have been accessory items ordered separately.......as would Belt-loading-machines.

When you look at the "Portugese-contract-MG34-Crates".....remember that that was a separate order and may have been ordered with storage-crate (not shipping-crates) with such items as Booster-Soaking-Cans, and/or additional parts/accessories as Portugal was not manufactureing the MG34. With that in mind......did the Germans make the crates (?)....or did Portugal make them after receiving the shipment of MG34s from Germany (?).

Last.....would the WWII German crates be painted (?).......if you look at K98 rifle-crates that didn't go to thrid-world-countries.......and WWII German ammo-crates/wooden-boxes........I don't recall seeing any German crates that were painted green or tan....just left as bare-wood to age-brown. Big Nazi-Eagles (?). .......mabe something smaller and a short stencil of what is in the crate/Serial-Number/maybe a date (?)....all in WWII German-style and language.....and factory-"coded" correctly when required.

Regards, RichardS in MI.
Blanksguy2001@chartermi.net
Matt
Major
Major

Post by Matt »

nothing like a really short post