reciever welding

How not to see club fed.
TOM R
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Anti-spam: Mg42

reciever welding

Post by TOM R »

remember before rewelding a reciever you must modify the area where the grip/trigger group attaches so the fa grip won't fit or else it is a machinegun this is the only difference between a fa and sa reciever all other mods are to bolt and grip/trigger group
mspurg
Obergefreiter
Obergefreiter

Post by mspurg »

This seems to have been overlooked in several posts that I have seen. Not interntional, of course, but very important.
It would nice if we could see some diagrams and measurements posted.
I have a bunch of pictures and some text from an old MG42 website (that went defunct) that I had downloaded several years ago. There may some interest in posting some of this here. It is backed up on one of CDs, so may take a while to find it. I have also accumulated a bunch of odds and ends on the MG42 that might be of interest, also.
I guess I will just ZIP everything up and email it to SALT6, unless there is somewhere I can put this stuff.

MikeS
"That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." - George Orwell

"Those who refuse to LEARN from history are bound to repeat it." —unkown?

"Stop the illegal aliens from coming across our borders before it is too late!!!" — mspurg
TOM R
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by TOM R »

sounds like the beginings of a build tutorial, be good to post in the build area, I can post pics of the sa rec mods when I get it back I just shipped it out today so it will be a while,I just wanted to remind all our home builders so they don't hunt down a welder and make a legal bo bo :wink:
1919gunner

Post by 1919gunner »

Tom, I realize the trigger attachment must be modified but I have yet to see a photo of the reciever rear where it is blocked or riveted to prevent an unmodified bolt from being installed. Like BRP does with theirs. Do you have ant photos of this?
Cpt_Kirks

Post by Cpt_Kirks »

Is there anyone available who could do the receiver welds? No way I could do it, but I have a brother-in-law who might be able to, if there were very clear directions.
huntsinmtns

I have pics but no way to post them

Post by huntsinmtns »

I have pics of these area's but no way to post if someone can ask and I will send to you.

GR
TOM R
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by TOM R »

1919 gunner tanker will have my rec in a few days if he wants he can put the fa and sa side by side for a pic of the mods to the bottom, I am not sure if I have the block inside, huntsinmts probly has the pics you need he will be doing my work once i scrape the money together
ak47dennis

Post by ak47dennis »

there is a requirement to ad a bolt block before welding , without the block (or rivet) what is to keep you from installing the original FA bolt and cocking it then letting it fly. Remember it has a fixed firing pin.

The BRP guns use a rivet the protrude up into the receiver.
Reichpapers
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by Reichpapers »

Producing new semi autos is a rough business. Imagine trying to get a semi MP40 design approved and they deny it at the level where you sent a sample in. They wouldn't give it back to you.
MDMike

Post by MDMike »

Reichpapers wrote:Producing new semi autos is a rough business. Imagine trying to get a semi MP40 design approved and they deny it at the level where you sent a sample in. They wouldn't give it back to you.
I believe the practice is to send the protype back to the person that submitted it........... cut into pieces
TOM R
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by TOM R »

you may be correct but I believe that the maxim semio that was turned down a while back they told him he had to come get the gun and disasemble it, which could be a good thing if they will go over it with you for changes they want to see
Great men are born in fire, it is the privilege of lessor men to light the flame, no matter the cost

FOR M60 GOTO http://WWW.M60MG.COM
nra lifer
mvpa 31698
46 cj2a
54 m37
56 CJ3B U.S. Navy
t24/m29 weasel
MDMike

Post by MDMike »

If they would go over the changes they required, that would be quite helpful...
Daskraut
Oberst
Oberst

Post by Daskraut »

Down at the local gun shop, I asked how you would deal with the assualt weapon limit of 10 rounds (in california) when building a semi auto belt fed. They said you can't do it anyway because "once a full auto, always a full auto" so it would be illegal..period :shock: . I mentioned all the changes to the gun, but thay said the receiver is the problem. What is the letter of the law on this matter and where is it stated that we can weld up a modified receiver and it is legal?. This should be a sticky, and a well researched one. I know you guys know your stuff, but we should really look into the federal letter of the law and post it for all to see, cuz "I read it was ok on the internet " aint gunna cut it!.Thanks. DK
Brass Scrounger

Post by Brass Scrounger »

IIRC, the "once a MG..." thing came into vogue with the MKS M14 debacle. They were taking uncut (not destroyed) GI receivers and removing/welding/modifying the area where the FA selector was.
Blademaster

Post by Blademaster »

The BRP MG 42 has two blocks installed into the receiver (To prevent the installation of the orginal FA bolt). Are two needed? I am not sure why there are two I would think that one would be enough. Does anyone have any input on this? I know the early units only had rivets then later the blocks were being put in instead. I am now in the process of my own build and want to make some improvements. I am also thinking about installing some small brackets on the front area where the gripstick goes and putting either screws or a push pin for a rock solid grip stick. This is one of the improvements I am thinking about. Anyone have any input on this?
Blademaster
Karbinator

Post by Karbinator »

Blademaster wrote:The BRP MG 42 has two blocks installed into the receiver (To prevent the installation of the orginal FA bolt). Are two needed? I am not sure why there are two I would think that one would be enough. Does anyone have any input on this? I know the early units only had rivets then later the blocks were being put in instead. I am now in the process of my own build and want to make some improvements. I am also thinking about installing some small brackets on the front area where the gripstick goes and putting either screws or a push pin for a rock solid grip stick. This is one of the improvements I am thinking about. Anyone have any input on this?
Blademaster
That grip idea has been done.....by pirate. He made some ear like tabs you weld to the side of the grip opening
and the pin runs through them, and the front of the grip.
Didn't know Brp did 2 blocks, but as long as it doesn't interfere with your semi parts, I don't see why not.
There are a few places in the bottom trough for blocks.