Our MG42 Builds and The ATF - (Long Post)

How not to see club fed.
drooling idiot
General
General

Post by drooling idiot »

TOM R wrote:man thats a lot of reading :wow:
you got that right , I've had a headache for two days after trying to research this out for 7.62 .
EZFEED thank you for sparing me from more research , but next time post sooner please. :bang: my heads killin me. :bang:
"good , bad, .....I'm the man with the gun."

Its amazing anything works right around here with a bunch of
over-age juvenile delinquents running the place.
Pirate
General
General

Post by Pirate »

EZFEED, thanks for all your input and help, hopefully your letters will smooth the road for
an approval
EZFEED

Post by EZFEED »

I cannot believe that TNW's MG-34 letter is not posted on this site?
This si no doubt due to threats made by Ti Bero and a lawsuit. That dude has some serious problems and I could go on and on but i'll bite my tongue for now.

I have a copy of the letter at the house but wont be able to get to it until several days. Does anyone else have it so they can post it soon?????????????

On the letter you will see that his sample was approved as a "firearm". As far as features go, the 34 and 42 are similar and the classification will be the same.

The "firearms" classification is just a classification for weapons that do not fall into any of the common categories. The MG42/34 do not readily accept spring loaded magazines so they fall into this group just like damn near every beltgun. Since the death of the AWB we can now install the Doppel Trommel covers now.
jittychitty

ATF technical letter

Post by jittychitty »

I just received this letter from a friend who wants to build a dummy out of his Suomi. I did find it very interresting, and some of the information contained within, could be adventagious to some of the questions being asked here. This is the ATF's response to his email technical question...

Mr. Blank: Thank you for visiting ATF's Website. As stated on our site, generally, we do not answer technical questions via e-mail, but I contacted our Firearms Technology Branch (FTB) and was advised the following:
"RECOMMENDED PROCEDURE FOR BUILDING DUMMY GUNS"
A Machinegun receiver that has been properly destroyed may be used to assemble a "dummy gun" that is not subject to NFA or GCA controls. When utilizing sections of destroyed machinegun receivers to build a dummy gun, and the severed sections are welded back together, the dummy gun receiver must be at least one inch shorter than that of an original machinegun receiver. The bolt, if present, must be welded to the receiver in the closed position. The breech of the barrel must be welded closed and an obstruction welded in the barrel. Alternatively, a solid metal/plastic bar in the same shape and configuration as the original model may be used s a "dummy receiver".
Please be informed that an attempt to fill in the cut away section of a receiver that was previously cut into sections, with commercial glues and non-metal material could constitute manufacture of a machinegun. For example, by filling in parts with certain modern glues and epoxies, having the same tensile strength as ferrous metal, you may be manufacturing fully functional machineguns".
If you have any further questions, please call them on 304-260-1700. Regards,

I would like to get to the bottom of this before anyone gets into trouble. I would have to agree with many of the posts here that these receiver pieces could easily be considered junk, but they could also be classified as just the opposite as what we all would hope.
Has anyone just up and asked the ATF their stand on this matter of rewelding?
Surely they would have the answers we need instead of wondering and speculating with all sorts of different scenarios?
Great site BTW. I am serious about my kit, but like the rest of you would hate any complications in the future.

Curtis J.
salt6
General
General
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by salt6 »

Orin and his elves are working on that now. This is allot like going to court. You want to lead the witness down the path to the answer you want.

Give Orin time to get this laid out and submitted correctly. Otherwise we might end up with a knee jerk answer from the batfe that is not what we want and will have to live with.
Through many dangers, toils and snares
I have already come;
'Tis Grace that brought me safe thus far
and Grace will lead me home.

John Newton (1725-1807)

George Orwell

salt6
Daskraut
Oberst
Oberst

Post by Daskraut »

I think EZfeed has earned 2 steak dinners!. What a major help you are, thank you !!.
Never give a sucker an even break, unless that sucker can break you in even halves!
bart
Unteroffizieranwärter
Unteroffizieranwärter

Post by bart »

Is there any new news about 922 r parts. It seems to me that if you had a transferable semi auto brp reciver and 6 other us made compliant parts that there should be no problem.What determines weather a compliance part is us made?
nlander

Post by nlander »

You don't need them. The MG42 is a firearm and not a rifle as defined by the ATF. (we hope)
drooling idiot
General
General

Post by drooling idiot »

"good , bad, .....I'm the man with the gun."

Its amazing anything works right around here with a bunch of
over-age juvenile delinquents running the place.
mdm2

Re: Our MG42 Builds and The ATF - (Long Post)

Post by mdm2 »

is it possible to get a copy of the brp mg 42 approval letter the one in this post wont open for me
Thank You