Can Canadians buy MG-42 parts from the US?

How not to see club fed.
MPLoyd
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel

Can Canadians buy MG-42 parts from the US?

Post by MPLoyd »

For the IMA-USA NG-42 rear receiver sections (see link: http://www.ima-usa.com/product_info.php ... ts_id/1428 ), would it be legal to send them to Canada? I know for to the US you need the ATF form 6 and all that mess but what about to Canada? Thanks.
A noble and honorable man does not fear violence. He does not hide and cower from it, permitting vicious and evil men to commit heinous acts.
Sledge303

Post by Sledge303 »

Good question. I suspect there is a form to cover exports just as there is a form that covers imports. I know the registered big firearms houses (like Century Intl. Arms) have to have Export, Import and in-transit permits. Not sure what International organization these are filed with, or if it is just individual countries.
As a related story, Century has TWICE lost large shipments to the Italian authorities when a ship entered there waters. The Italians had an issue with the "in-transit" permits. First time was Yugo SKS's, next time was a mixed shipment of Romanian AK's, Yugo Mausers and German MG's.
striker754
Oberst
Oberst

Post by striker754 »

YOu need an export license. I tried to send a romy kit to europe and needed a $1k license
Sledge303

This leads to another interesting question..

Post by Sledge303 »

This leads to another interesting question, I can see where an export license would be needed for firearms, major firearms parts or "implements and articles of WAR". However, what are scrap receiver parts considered to be? Would they be considered "SCRAP" metal by US standards? What would the Canadians determine them to be. I know the USA and England have a very different idea of what process steps are applied to de-mil a firearm. What do the Canadians use as a standard when it comes to de-milling?

If both the USA and Canada consider the item as just scrap metal, then it would be OK to ship. The "Devil" is in the determination.
The BATFE doesn't regulate "scrap", not sure what Gov't agency does?
TOM R
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by TOM R »

why don't you just buy from marstar they are in canada
Great men are born in fire, it is the privilege of lessor men to light the flame, no matter the cost

FOR M60 GOTO http://WWW.M60MG.COM
nra lifer
mvpa 31698
46 cj2a
54 m37
56 CJ3B U.S. Navy
t24/m29 weasel
striker754
Oberst
Oberst

Re: This leads to another interesting question..

Post by striker754 »

Sledge303 wrote:The BATFE doesn't regulate "scrap", not sure what Gov't agency does?
You WOULD be suprised. The ATF sure does a LOT of things outside of their power, the BIG one being interpretation of laws, instead of just enforcing them.
drooling idiot
General
General

Post by drooling idiot »

TOM R wrote:why don't you just buy from marstar they are in canada
Because thats the one section Canadian law requires marstar to keep from the gun kits they sell as demilled.
so I'm guessing MPLoyd already has a canadian kit and is looking for the missing piece here.
Is it legal for Joe sixpack to ship one to Loyd , i doubt it.
Is it legal for Loyd to own , :?: that i don't know but doubt it or why keep it out of the kits ?
"good , bad, .....I'm the man with the gun."

Its amazing anything works right around here with a bunch of
over-age juvenile delinquents running the place.
MPLoyd
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel

Post by MPLoyd »

The AECA makes it unlawful to import "defense articles," including firearms and ammunition, into the United States without a permit and to export such articles from the United states without a license. Import permits and export licenses specify the importer or exporter and the purchaser. AECA regulations, 22 C.F.R. Parts 120-130 and 27 C.F.R. Part 47, require the registration of individuals and entities engaged in the business of importing or exporting defense articles. Registration is a prerequisite for persons engaged in the business of importing or exporting these articles.

This came from ATFs sight "https://www.atf.gov/firearms/legal/international.htm". Legalities are just cloudy and hard to understand, just trying to get a better idea of what is what. It would be nice if the legal reps of the respective bureaus would open an account and provide real world understanding and interpretation of what is what. But I guess collectively they see it as more of liability. They could be more of a government servant and help people be legal and stay legal. See people don’t want to break the law, with very little effort they could help people stay legal. Likewise a lot of the bad opinions people are developing of the agencies would be dissuaded. It makes one think that the agencies is more interested in making criminals then helping us to do what is right. My .02
A noble and honorable man does not fear violence. He does not hide and cower from it, permitting vicious and evil men to commit heinous acts.
striker754
Oberst
Oberst

Post by striker754 »

export of stuff like this, parts kits etc is NOT atf from what i have been told. They told me to call someone else, forgot who it was, and they said you need a license that costs 1k.
762x51
Oberst
Oberst

Post by 762x51 »

Call IMA-USA on Tuesday and ask for Christian - He will be able to give you an answer to this question.

They have both import and export licenses and will have the answer at hand.

My guess is the answer will be "no" - If Marstar cannot bring them in, then you will not be able to either.

Regards,
Orin
"It is well that war is so terrible -- lest we should grow too fond of it." Gen. R.E. Lee CSA
Skype ID: ACE1100
Abominog
Major
Major

Post by Abominog »

MPLoyd's post was quite accurate on US exports. What it boils down to is a license is required for guns and parts as described in the legal sections he listed (this is generally called ITAR, for International Trade in Arms Restrictions). You would have to get a license for export from the State Dept, which isn't all that hard.

However, as he pointed out, as of last year you need to be registered as an exporter, which costs a big chunk of money.

The cut receiver, as scrap, requires no ITAR compliance. It would be exported as scrap metal, and would fall under BIS regulations (I haven't looked it up, but I'm guessing no license is required).

Note that I have not at all addressed Canadian import regs.
FNG