1st model MG42 Bipod?

Look here for sites to buy or sell something? Found a good deal or something on the web you want to share? Put it here.
Countryboy77
Oberstabsgefreiter
Oberstabsgefreiter
Anti-spam: Mg42

1st model MG42 Bipod?

Post by Countryboy77 »

Never seen one of these,I don't need it but it's one of those Hens tooth items that might make someone's day.

https://www.ebay.com/i/264339623328?ul_ ... noapp=true
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 1st model MG42 Bipod?

Post by 42rocker »

Thanks for sharing that.

Later 42rocker
Countryboy77
Oberstabsgefreiter
Oberstabsgefreiter

Post by Countryboy77 »

No problem, kinda like an early brake or horizontal cocking hamdle.The hens teeth do come time to time.Hopefully somone gets it and doesnt buy it to scalp somone on GB.
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

I have some of the early 34 legs like those used in that early 42 bipod. Now to look around for the rest of the parts.
Always wanted one of those early front ring brakes and of course on of the slab cocking handles. There I'm dreaming of buying a lot of stuff again. I need to sell not buy. Well maybe a few special things are needed.

Later 42rocker
Abominog
Major
Major

Post by Abominog »

How do we know it’s not an mg34 bipod with a mg42 head swapped in?
FNG
Countryboy77
Oberstabsgefreiter
Oberstabsgefreiter

Post by Countryboy77 »

Good question.Time to look at old photos and research.Looking at Johns Mg42 repair manual on page 88 we have a bipod modification with a photo and a description " 143. Bipod The bipod is like tgat of tge mg34 except for the Mount."Look at side view of photo.While crossarm is not present the cutout is. Modification is shown to add brackets to hold bipod up against the shroud.Seems that what you said is exactly what the Germans did untill a speciffic one was developed.I could be incorrect,we can look towards black and white combat photos to see.John I hope its ok to use a page out of your book if not my apology.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Countryboy77
Oberstabsgefreiter
Oberstabsgefreiter

Post by Countryboy77 »

Look at side view of leg in this photo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Countryboy77
Oberstabsgefreiter
Oberstabsgefreiter

Post by Countryboy77 »

Look at third gun from the top bipod.The cutout from the latch is there so it was dont.Now did an unscrupelous seller put one together,possibly.We have seen this with first model charging handles.Hard to authenticate,hard to disprove.I posted it ( in no way do I know the seller) as info only. If i had an early model 42 and needed this style bipod the price is a drop in the bucket compared to the cost of the ammo used and even if knocked off would complete the look.This isnt for anyone,its for a particular type of collector .I would take the chance if i had an early model i was trying to complete, like the original style booster ive seen sold for $1000. Side charging handles just as bad.But it is what it is and you have to pay to play.I got screwed on GB buying booster retainer that was unmarked yugo somone stamped (thank you 42rocker for selling the correct one at a fair price) and a topcover somone removed a yugo crest and hit with a waffenempt ,And cof feedtray that they hit with a waffenempt(too deeply) probly not knowing tge cof was original (unless that was forged as well) Thanks to sites like this so we have info availiable to make educated decision
Abominog
Major
Major

Post by Abominog »

I have two mg42 bipods like the third shown. Whether they were converted from mg34 or were early mg42 with tabs added I can’t say. Neither has the internal spring mechanisms, though it would be easy enough to repopulate from a mg34 donor.
FNG
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

Countryboy77 wrote:John I hope its ok to use a page out of your book if not my apology.
I'm good. :)
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
Abominog
Major
Major

Post by Abominog »

Somewhat off topic, I forgot about that bipod update in the manual. I have all the Baum mg42 books, and frankly can’t remember everything in them, nor where to find it. Sure would be nice to have a reference list!
FNG
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

There is plenty of room on this site for such a list. Several of us would be willing to help out.

Later 42rocker
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

I've no problem with someone typing up a Master Index with manual and page numbers, and posting it for all to see. I just don't have time to do it. :)
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
Abominog
Major
Major

Post by Abominog »

Doing more research.

First model has just a lug on the head and a spring in the receiver. The receiver has a stud, and the legs are mg34 style

Second model has the head we know and mg34 legs. Receiver has the stud.

Third model is a modified earlier version with the leg spring removed and tabs added.

The change from stud to tabs is later than I thought; my 1943 CRA has the hole where the stud was removed.
FNG
Abominog
Major
Major

Post by Abominog »

Upon further research, all the MG42 kits I looked at just now have the hole for the mounting stud. That includes 1945 kits and Steyr BNZ GZ. That's not comprehensive, of course. Note that M53 kits do not have this hole.

Perhaps the hole was retained in production to accommodate the Waffenmeister modification for the sling ring?

The bipod image above shows an excerpt from a manual date March 1944. So at that time they were still converting the stud to the tab version, although we don't know at what rate. Was this a heavily used modification or one, at that time, already dated? It does make reference to the "new bipod" without the height adjustment.

Given that the stud-type bipod legs are very rare, and there are plenty of 1943 dated bipods with the tabs, I assume that by some time in 1943 the current production was tabbed bipods. I believe this is further supported by pre- and post- Stalingrad guns and components; pre-Stalingrad being more rare. If the stud receivers/bipods were mostly used up around Stalingrad, that would explain why they are so rare.
FNG