german militaria (uk)

Look here for sites to buy or sell something? Found a good deal or something on the web you want to share? Put it here.
TOM R
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Anti-spam: Mg42

german militaria (uk)

Post by TOM R »

Great men are born in fire, it is the privilege of lessor men to light the flame, no matter the cost

FOR M60 GOTO http://WWW.M60MG.COM
nra lifer
mvpa 31698
46 cj2a
54 m37
56 CJ3B U.S. Navy
t24/m29 weasel
ak47dennis

Post by ak47dennis »

I have been on that sight before, while useful for the most part I don’t care for it. The content/Theme is clearly WW2 German firearms and accessories; it pictures many items that are post war or Yugoslavian and doesn’t label the items as such. It helps to provide “documentation” for the dishonest sellers on e-pay that are continually trying to pass off fraudulent items as “WW2 German”
Pug42
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by Pug42 »

??? Sure you aren't mixing this up with a site called german-militaria.co.uk or maybe .com which is now defunct (the difference was the hyphen) which was a dealer in mostly 'german' stuff, and usually overpriced...?

The one TomR has posted is run by a guy called Bernhard Uytenbogaardt who is a well-known collector over here. The few postwar items he has in his collection are clearly identified as such... but from what I've looked at most of his collection is pukka ( sorry, slang here for 'good'!). Can you point to something on the site now that is not what it is claimed to be....? Just a bit confused as I don't understand the reference to providing "documentation" for fraudulent sellers on FeeBay.... :shock:
David

Stimme aus dem sumpf
ak47dennis

Post by ak47dennis »

Nope, not confusing it.
Example:
-Under MG34
- "cleaning kit in canvas bag" and the 15 pictures of the content.
-The Norwegian front sight tool
-The Czech carry handle

Under the MG42 section:
-Again the "cleaning kit in canvas bag" (post war, yugo)
-The lager 42 & mount is post war.

Under MP44
-The post war flash hider
-new made BFA

I can go on and on & on… probably 1/2 off his MG collection came from IMA.
When I started collecting years ago my collection looked like his had a lot of items that I purchased from IMA (that they stretch the truth to find a German connection)

As you learn you slowly start to turn out items you find are questionable

Have fun and enjoy your collection :mrgreen:
Reichpapers
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by Reichpapers »

I'd have to agree with Dennis here. I was under the impression that he was just listing a hodge podge of 34 and 42 stuff from different nations. But, then he clearly labels certain items as postwar when quite a few of the other stuff is too. None the less, the site is a great reference to 34 and 42 accesories from numerous sources. If the items were appropriatly identified the site would be a valuable visual comparative resource.
Last edited by Reichpapers on Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
It's better to be silent and considered a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
CRA

Post by CRA »

Ak47 Dennis is right on the money with this one :!:

Nice to see someone else notice's this kind of stuff, Ive said it before those Uk BS artist spin that postwar stuff so hard that eventually it seems to be excepted as original.
Pug42
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by Pug42 »

those Uk BS artist spin that postwar stuff so hard
Sounds like you've had a bad experience with somebody along the line? Bit harsh to tar all of us with the same brush!

Bernhard on German Militaria is a collector first and foremost who is aiming to get a complete collection of every single MG related accessory. If he can't get a wartime example of something he starts off with postwar (Like Czech MG34 carrying handle) and upgrades when he gets chance. Equally he isn't an infallible expert (who is?) and sometimes gets it wrong. He doesn't set out to hoodwink anybody. I check his site regularly for new items and have noticed over the years that certain postwar items have been replaced by better examples. I still find it a valuable comparative resource, i.e. you compare what he has with examples elsewhere and those you have seen around with fellow reenactors or at shows.

The worst bullshitters around have to be IMA on your side of the pond - dealers who try and pass off a lot of postwar stuff as "WWII German". Yes they do have some good stuff, but like everything else in this game you have to make your own mind up. I looked for Lafette carrying straps but their "WW2" repros are miles out - they seem to have copied postwar Yugo style... shame when they could have repro'd simpler wartime German ones a lot easier!!!

So 'Caveat Emptor' as the saying goes... :D
David

Stimme aus dem sumpf
TOM R
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by TOM R »

well someone posted this link in a thread, i thought that is looked like alot of great info, shows the tools you should have in the gunners pouch , what they are and their uses :D
Great men are born in fire, it is the privilege of lessor men to light the flame, no matter the cost

FOR M60 GOTO http://WWW.M60MG.COM
nra lifer
mvpa 31698
46 cj2a
54 m37
56 CJ3B U.S. Navy
t24/m29 weasel
ak47dennis

Post by ak47dennis »

Pug42 wrote:
those Uk BS artist spin that postwar stuff so hard
Sounds like you've had a bad experience with somebody along the line? Bit harsh to tar all of us with the same brush!

Bernhard on German Militaria is a collector first and foremost who is aiming to get a complete collection of every single MG related accessory. If he can't get a wartime example of something he starts off with postwar (Like Czech MG34 carrying handle) and upgrades when he gets chance. Equally he isn't an infallible expert (who is?) and sometimes gets it wrong. He doesn't set out to hoodwink anybody. I check his site regularly for new items and have noticed over the years that certain postwar items have been replaced by better examples. I still find it a valuable comparative resource, i.e. you compare what he has with examples elsewhere and those you have seen around with fellow reenactors or at shows.

The worst bullshitters around have to be IMA on your side of the pond - dealers who try and pass off a lot of postwar stuff as "WWII German". Yes they do have some good stuff, but like everything else in this game you have to make your own mind up. I looked for Lafette carrying straps but their "WW2" repros are miles out - they seem to have copied postwar Yugo style... shame when they could have repro'd simpler wartime German ones a lot easier!!!

So 'Caveat Emptor' as the saying goes... :D
"The worst bullshitters around have to be IMA on your side of the pond - dealers who try and pass off a lot of postwar stuff as "WWII German"
Gezz you got their number and your thousands of miles away... :pound: