Best way to complete my parts kit?

Anything MG42 related.
jrc413

Best way to complete my parts kit?

Post by jrc413 »

Well I'm new to this site and to the German belt feds in general but here it goes....I have an M53 parts kit minus any demilled rear receiver portion. The front section supposedly has enough metal remaining were it was considered a "good" candidate for a Wiselite semiauto rebuild. Which was my plan, but thats no longer an option. My company is an 07 SOT now and I now would like to rebuild this myself back to origional full auto state. Any suggestions on how to go about this in the most efficient way. And also looking for suggestions on whether to find a demilled rear section and reweld of go with some new stampings. Thanks for any advice or suggestions, sorry for my lack of knowledge on this, this is not my specialty but I'm very interested in getting this done. -Jason
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Re: Best way to complete my parts kit?

Post by Bil »

Not being a wise guy,just trying to save some time- :D - First thing I did when starting was to read as much as possible here on the site.Although now there is a lot more! There are some very detailed builds featured here,also problems and solutions to each type of build,pros and cons. Everything from machined receivers to hand bent ones.
Go over them,figure out which method would work for you both experiance wise and money wise. We are always glad to help out and answer any questions,but with such a bunch of choices,you can narrow it down,and also see what problems you may run into. Paper-wise,I know nothing about. But you will not have to do the semi conversion,that should help a lot! Good luck,and welcome! ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by 42rocker »

jrc413 Jason
Welcome to this website. I think that you will find the stuff that was posted about on the 1919 website in this website. Use the search and have fun also check under the stickies area.
Personally I think that if you got the halfs from apex and redid the grip area (added weld) and do not install the full auto bolt blocker it might be the easier way to do things. That's because you have an SOT after your class 7... Also I believe that you might have to have everything in the company name before you start in, you need to check on that one.
Check the re-weld area that pirate did.
Also pm jbaum about his mg42 books which will help a lot for the build and after the build.

Later 42rocker
www.Prussia.us
General
General

Post by www.Prussia.us »

Most people are limited by the resources to put into a project and the local laws that are applied. That being said, if I were able to build a legal fully auto MG42, I would wait and take the time to find a World War II German rear section.

When looking for a rear section set, make sure there is enough metal on it to connect it to the front section that you have. You also want to make sure that the buffer tabs where the buttstock assembly attaches are not too badly destroyed, they can be replaced but is often a sign of a rough de-mill. If you choose this, I would place a want to buy posting on this website, you can also check gunbroker as I am sure you know, sometimes there are still good deals to be had.

Again it is best to read the archived material as stated above. If you opt for new receiver sections BRP guns and RTG gun parts, are also great places to look for parts.

Your project will be much easier if it is full auto than those of us who have to deal with all of the mods that for semi-autofire.

Keep us posted, best of luck.
“… corporations have been enthroned, and an era of corruption in high places will follow, … until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.”

- Abraham Lincoln (Republican), Nov. 21, 1864
jrc413

Post by jrc413 »

Thanks to everyone for the tips and advice. After some initial research I think I will begin the search for a german demilled rear section and go the full auto route. I'm sure this will just be the beginning of the questions. I'll keep everyone updated. Let me know if anyone comes across a rear section for sale. Thanks
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by 42rocker »

Jason
Another way to do this is to use a yugo rear. Check out the following link. yugo and German are almost the same and both full auto. The price is more but you should be able to get enough so that you would come close to over lapping parts. And you would also have a lot of spare parts.

http://www.mg34.com/M-53-Mg42-Spare-Parts-Set-p2/

You should have a yugo front anyway.

Later 42rocker
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

Looking at the rear receiver pieces in the picture,that doesn't look bad at all.The same in a German kit is 1200-1500. ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert