WTK: FA MG42 purchase advice

Anything MG42 related.
magnet69
Oberstabsgefreiter
Oberstabsgefreiter
Anti-spam: Mg42

WTK: FA MG42 purchase advice

Post by magnet69 »

I'm considering a transferable MG42 FA to purchase and would like any advice about what to look for / questions to ask/etc. It'll be my largest $$ NFA purchase so far, so any help would be appreciated. I have a 1919a4 FA, M1 Garand and would like to continue with my WWII collection. Thanks for the help from this first time poster.
As my Uncle Fritz said: "Wenn ich rauche, ich sterbe. Wenn ich rauche nicht, ich sterbe. So ich rauche." In other words, Life's short, Just do it!
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: WTK: FA MG42 purchase advice

Post by 42rocker »

First WELCOME to one of the best mg42 mg24 websites out there..... There are several folks on this website that shoot FA Mg42 and I'm sure they will jump in shortly. One of the best buys that you could have made for your 1919 FA was to get several of KKKriverrats manuals. Well one of the better manuals around for the FA MG42 is a German WW2 manual that's translated by out own JBaum, who also shoots a FA MG42. Check out his website.

http://www.germanmanuals.com/

Good Luck with everything.

Later 42rocker
mp44dude
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by mp44dude »

Magnet,

Are you getting a "shooter" or a diaper-wiper?

I have a couple of German FA beltfeds and I will try to provide this advise and a few question suggestions.

MG42 as a shooter:

Ammo can be either dwindling 8mm or more abundant 7.62 NATO - a real benefit.

Parts for MG42/MG1/MG3 are still available; barrels from several sources. Some parts are harder to get and some original WW2 parts are really expensive.

If you are buying for an "investment" prices are lower now than before the recession and will increase as the economy become stronger. Long term investment makes the most sense but I always state that these weapons are my "toys".
magnet69
Oberstabsgefreiter
Oberstabsgefreiter

Post by magnet69 »

Was looking at a shooter posted on sturmgewehr for $25k, reweld. I offered less $22k but wouldn't budge. Oh the search continues. Thanks for the advice.
As my Uncle Fritz said: "Wenn ich rauche, ich sterbe. Wenn ich rauche nicht, ich sterbe. So ich rauche." In other words, Life's short, Just do it!
Gulfstream4
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by Gulfstream4 »

Contact Bob Naess at Black River Militaria. Bob usually knows what MG42's are avaliable.
http://www.blackrivermilitaria.com/
magnet69
Oberstabsgefreiter
Oberstabsgefreiter

Post by magnet69 »

Funny Bob was the one who fixed the original poor reweld. Thanks.
blackreichswehr
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by blackreichswehr »

if your adamant on 42 fa, buyer be were. theses were not made to last forever but, nothing is. unlsess you pay top dollar for one in like new condition, and rare nowadays. investment or shooter, still a gamble. for myself, i can't see the market approaching any new heights. sure the rare, hardly, used will always be premo. ask yourself, do you want to collect guns or stamps--- it's all the same , just what is the market long term?
amafrank
Major
Major

Post by amafrank »

Actually the guns are very durable and wear parts are replaceable. A friend fired over 100,000rds through his and it still ran well. Rewelds aren't a bad deal because the price is much more reasonable. If the welding was done right it shouldn't be an issue. The one advertised was worked on by Bob N and he wouldn't let half assed work out of his shop so it should be good to go. The owner wouldn't drop his price because he didn't need to. The gun would sell (may have sold) at the asking price which was quite reasonable. Thats another thing to remember, despite the internet feeling that its a buyers market prices are what they are and odd, rare, unusual or stuff in demand will still sell quickly and at higher prices. The recommendation to talk with Bob is a good one. He keeps his eye on the market. Try posting a want to buy ad on this and other boards as well. There are quite a few MG42's out there and usually one or two for sale at any given time. Remember that nice guns bring a nice price and despite the poor economy you'll still pay mid 30's for a nice C&R gun.

Frank
mp44dude
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by mp44dude »

I have to agree with Frank. Good advise on checking with good dealers and posting "WTB" on Sturmgewehr or subgunsdotcom should be enough to find a good gun. The reweld at $25K had "extras"? ammo? parts?

My last 42 I bought was a CnR with nothing extra but the hand shake for $30k and I still considered it a good deal.

Transferables usually are 80-66 percent the cost of CnR guns. If the reweld was done really well then I think the weapon was a good deal.
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by DARIVS ARCHITECTVS »

I just sold my MG-42 (exc condition & finish, uncut) to MP44dude above for $30K. Magnet69, assuming you are looking for a C&R gun, not one requiring an SOT of any sort, keep an eye out for an MG-42 on subguns.com, sturmgewehr.com, and give Bob Naess a call at Black River Militaria. Am MG-42 that has some heavy wear will still prove to be a reliable gun, if the rewelded receiver was lined up properly, since the design is so simple and rugged. I noted your last bid on a reweld was rejected at $22K. Keep looking and be patient. You may find a rewelded gun for that price if you hunt around. You will pay more for an untouched example.
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury
magnet69
Oberstabsgefreiter
Oberstabsgefreiter

Post by magnet69 »

Thanks for advice. My $22k bid was rejected w/o counter. I assumed he wanted full asking price which I can respect that. I'll keep looking as suggested. Thanks.
junglewalk
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by junglewalk »

DA;..>did you have two MG-42s??...I have your first one then, and what a wonderful machine it is!.. :cheer:
Beautiful women are like well built machineguns: Some should just be looked at, and left alone, while others were built to get hot.
mp44dude
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by mp44dude »

Jungewalk,

DA is just trying to take credit for my beautiful gun!!!

It was good to hear your transfer came thru.
junglewalk
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by junglewalk »

Mp 44 dude;. ....I see, now I understand!......>...BTW, The two transfers took 'ONLY' seven and a half months..!!
Beautiful women are like well built machineguns: Some should just be looked at, and left alone, while others were built to get hot.
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by DARIVS ARCHITECTVS »

mp44dude wrote:Jungewalk,

DA is just trying to take credit for my beautiful gun!!!

It was good to hear your transfer came thru.
I always get your board names confused. JW has my old gun.
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury
mp44dude
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by mp44dude »

DA,

It's all good