Delinking rounds in MG34/MG42/MG3 belts

Anything MG42 related.
bbrown
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel

Delinking rounds in MG34/MG42/MG3 belts

Post by bbrown »

As part of the process of slightly stretching my MG34/MG42/MG3 belts to aid extraction, I lubed them up well and pushed fired 8mm Romanian steel cases far into some belts, and unfired 1950s-era Yugo 8mm far into others. So far they've sat for about 5 days. Time is not of the essence.

Now the question is, how do I remove the rounds (both fired and unfired) without setting off the unfired Yugo primers or ruining my fingers by pushing them out? I've got one of those surplus Yugo loaders, and was thinking of using a wooden dowel with it to push the rounds out.

Any other suggestions for safe extraction?

Thanks,

Bryan
Tommygunn
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Re: Delinking rounds in MG34/MG42/MG3 belts

Post by Tommygunn »

Piece of wood with a 7mm hole (or neck size if you so wish) drilled into it and go round by round pushing down on the bullet.

Tom.
drooling idiot
General
General

Post by drooling idiot »

Its been a while since i played with a loader but i though they were linker/delinker capable. I've only delinked in quanity through the 42.
"good , bad, .....I'm the man with the gun."

Its amazing anything works right around here with a bunch of
over-age juvenile delinquents running the place.
bbrown
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel

Post by bbrown »

Here's a picture of what I got from Sarco about 18 months ago, top view. The crank handle is on the right side, chute on top (naturally). It didn't come with a special tool to use for de-linking like you get with some of the Russian linker packages, hence the question. A dowel with a dimple in the business end should work, however.
Attachments
mg34056.jpg
haak48
Offizieranwärter
Offizieranwärter

Post by haak48 »

I made a punch that simply replaced the link cleaning brush. Works great and is fast! JH