Anything MG42 related.
market224
Leutnant
Leutnant
Anti-spam: Mg42

barrel extensions

Post by market224 »

Hi all
Trying to remove barrel extension but it will not un-screw? Do all original ww2 barrel extension removable?
The extension im trying to remove is a german deact barrel with barrel plugged at extension end, Maybe this is part of problem?
Have another barrel with extension that removes ok but extension has had roller lugs ground away so wanting to swop extension heads over
Any body have any thoughts?
Rob
Attachments
003.JPG
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Re: barrel extensions

Post by JBaum »

Unless by plugged you mean that the chamber has been filled with weld and they got some on the barrel extension, it should unscrew. There are no variations of the process of putting the two together. Make sure you check headspace before using after swapping extensions.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
market224
Leutnant
Leutnant

Post by market224 »

jbaum wrote:Unless by plugged you mean that the chamber has been filled with weld and they got some on the barrel extension, it should unscrew. There are no variations of the process of putting the two together. Make sure you check headspace before using after swapping extensions.
Thanks for confirming that ALL barrel extensions are removable ( unscrewed ) .
I was not sure if they would of pushed a heated hardened metal rod into barrel at extension end or drop, dip molten metal weld into barrel opening, looks like it's done by dipping molten metal into barrel.
hopefully by heating threaded part of barrel/extension i might be able to remove it .
It's only for a deact so head space not that important.
best Rob
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

market224
There were a couple of threads on this subject. Most go something like large vise and large wrench. Some talked of heating one spot then trying to turn off. Some have ground flats marks into the bad barrel so they could get a wrench holding spot. Make sure you carefully inspect the extension after you have removed it for cracks etc. Then as John stated double / triple check head spacing. Good Luck. Just thought of this, the term cheater bar was also spoke of a lot. Cheater bar normally pipe or something to extend the wrench so you have 3 to 5 feet of turning ability.

Later 42rocker
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Also forgot check for a peen mark where they might have used a center punch to push metal into the other piece. This punch mark area might have to be ground out. Again Good Luck.
If as you said deactived barrel that does not need head spacing. Well might be something to try to do anyway for two reasons. 1st good practice 2nd for the next person that might own that barrel.

Later 42rocker
TactAdv
Major
Major

Post by TactAdv »

WARNING! -DO NOT- heat the barrel extension past water-temperature boiling point! It is critically heat treated and any attempt to heat to even annealing temperature, which could be as low as 400 def F, will destroy the temper and risk cracking.

That means no "propane torch" or similar.

The correct way to separate using thermal differential is to submerge the BARREL (or barrel stub) into a bucket or trough of ice water and let the barrel metal reach the water temperature over approximately an hour so. The barrel extension surfaces can be brought above ambient temperature by boiling rags and wrapping the extension with the hot rags repeatedly.

Once a differential is reached, place the extension between wooden blocks in a strong vice and tighten HARD. A LARGE pipe-fitters wrench can then be placed around the barrel tube shank close to the extension and a cheater or breaker bar used to break the joint. You won't need much of a temperature differential and the barrel steel will contract far more than the extension steel will expand. With the fitters wrench be prepared to really chew into the barrel, so hopefully you don't care about it if it is ruined anyway. Alternately, with a good barrel you can use a rosin soaked cloth and a strap wrench.

-TomH
Last edited by TactAdv on Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vieles ist bekannt, dass ist nicht offenbart.
Tommygunn
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by Tommygunn »

Rob,
Are you outside North America i.e. somewhere in Europe?

Tom.
crash520
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by crash520 »

If the barrel is a scraper, eith put it in a lathe and machine off the collar that is up against the barrel ext to relieve the crush or run a hacksaw blade around it leaving like a 1/16th piece so as not to damage the extension, once one or the other above is done, it will unscrew easily. That way you wont wreck the good extension

V/R
C
My66coupe
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Post by My66coupe »

Ditto on the peen, make sure its not prohibiting the two from turning away from each other. A nice blast from an air hammer will break them free from each other...
market224
Leutnant
Leutnant

Post by market224 »

UP DATE. Thanks guys for all your help, every reply helped in its own way, All very appreciated.
Did not know extensions were punch pinned to stop them un-screwing.
I had to cut the round washer at extension end to make 4 flat edges and using mole grips and parking car rear wheel on barrel to get enough leverage to break thread.
Thanks guys :wnana:

Fold Regards Rob
Attachments
fitted and working correctly
fitted and working correctly
donor barrel
donor barrel
extension head fitted to donor barrel
extension head fitted to donor barrel
004.JPG
002.JPG
001.JPG
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen a tire vise. If it's stupid and it works, it's not stupid. :)

An 18" pipe wrench and a pipe vise work great, of course for that it helps to have a plumber in the family who has tools.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
Pug42
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by Pug42 »

Be aware that if you are in the UK and tamper with a deactivated weapon component you risk a 5 year jail sentence!!! Barrels are what is known as Section 5 components so tamper with them at your own risk!! Just saying...

I assume the new barrel is plugged but not drilled with large unsightly holes... if you now have a 'live' barrel you need to be careful if you exhibit at shows or whatever (reenactor?). If you are a collector then selling on at some stage could be tricky?

My lips are sealed though... :D
David

Stimme aus dem sumpf
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Interesting sharing of info. Good Luck.

Later 42rocker
K98dkmauser
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by K98dkmauser »

good job removing the barrels

in the first pic i think i seen a mg34 and k98 on the wall :D :mrgreen:
market224
Leutnant
Leutnant

Post by market224 »

K98dkmauser wrote:good job removing the barrels

in the first pic i think i seen a mg34 and k98 on the wall :D :mrgreen:
your make a good sniper. Your eyes are correct.
Rob