Looking for demilitarized MG42

Anything MG42 related.
johnb593
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann
Anti-spam: Mg42

Re: Looking for demilitarized MG42

Post by johnb593 »

I found 'em on GunBroker. A box of 10 dummy rounds for $12.00. I can do that!
usmc8488
Leutnant
Leutnant

Post by usmc8488 »

johnb593 wrote:I found 'em on GunBroker. A box of 10 dummy rounds for $12.00. I can do that!

Yes they were made for training..
johnb593
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by johnb593 »

usmc8488 wrote:
johnb593 wrote:I found 'em on GunBroker. A box of 10 dummy rounds for $12.00. I can do that!

Yes they were made for training..
Exactly what I need I'd say.
johnb593
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by johnb593 »

Received the practice ammo and ran through loading, etc. I think all is correct now so plan to go back to the range soon. Will also take my "just bought" M48 Yugo 98k.
Mauser3.jpg
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Enjoy

Later 42rocker
johnb593
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by johnb593 »

Now if I can find a MG42 top cover I'll replace the Yugo one on my M53/MG42.
johnb593
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by johnb593 »

It has been a while since I've posted anything but just to catch up: I took the MG, the Mosin Nagant sniper, and a couple of my Mausers (I now have 7) to the range. Everything went okay until I managed to bend the cocking lever on the MG. It's VERY hard to cock completely so that it picks up the round and pushes it into the breech. I have to push it down with my foot which is how I managed to bend it. Dammit! Easy fix but I wasn't able to shoot the gun that day. I took it apart to straighten the lever and greased the heck out of the whole thing. Haven't been back to the range yet because it's so friggin' HOT (102 today).
johnb593
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by johnb593 »

I have been absent from this site for far too long now and I intend to remedy that. I plan to go to the range very soon and have a re-try on shooting my rebuild MG42/M53. Fingers and toes crossed that all will go okay!
johnb593
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by johnb593 »

I've been doing some checking to be sure my gun works smoothly before heading out to the range. Well it does not. For some reason it is VERY difficult to cock the gun. I have to push the cocking handle down with my foot as I cannot pull it back by hand. It seems to be binding somewhere. I've greased the heck out of it but still have the problem. The fella that did the receiver work on it says he ran 5 rounds through with no problem. All I can say is he must be some strong dude! Advice from members here would be appreciated (and yes, I have sent him a email about this earlier today).
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

Did you check the gun with the bolt and recoil spring out of it to see if the cocking handle goes fully rearward? Did you check it without just the recoil spring? Surely there's something to observe more than just that it's binding somewhere. It's only 3 pieces (bolt, handle, recoil spring) that move.

Check the recoil spring to make sure the coils aren't making contact with each other before the bolt is 100% to the rear. It's possible that the spring is fully compressed before the bolt can pick up the cartridge. Make sure the recoil spring isn't kinking inside the gun. Let us know the results of that.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
johnb593
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by johnb593 »

Thanks! I will do all of that and get back to you some time tomorrow (Thursday). Thanks again!
johnb593
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by johnb593 »

Okay. Here is where the problem is as far as I can ascertain. The cocking handle assembly isn't sliding smoothly but is binding along the track. I tried moving it forward and backward and it just will not slide easily at all. Grease hasn't really helped so it appears some work on either the cocking assembly or the track is in order. I'm not REAL sure this cocking handle assembly doesn't need to be replaced and I have a replacement coming from RTG. Thoughts?
handle 001.jpg
johnb593
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by johnb593 »

Now that I have the replacement cocking handle and slide I can see that that is where the main problem was (the old one). I still have to do some fitting of the slide and cleaning up of the grooves on the receiver, etc but I feel that this will correct the problem. FINGERS CROSSED! More later.
johnb593
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by johnb593 »

Small update. I've been doing some grinding/filing on the new cocking handle/slide and to some areas of the track. It's getting better but I still have more work to do to get it smooth. The way the receiver was set up on the rebuild makes it necessary to "adjust" the cocking slide and some of the grooved area. I won't give up until it's like I want it!! (As a side to all this, even though I have had some very frustrating times with this MG the work I'm doing to get it right is enjoyable. I'm no gunsmith but I THINK I can accomplish this.)
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

Most people hit a point where they feel like giving up. Very few actually quit, and so they end up with a functioning gun for their perseverance. You'll be one of the people in the latter class. :)

johnb593
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by johnb593 »

I certainly intend to be. Persistence and perseverance (and a little bit of cussin")!!
johnb593
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by johnb593 »

Well crap! I thought I about had this frigger sorted out but NOOOOOO. I have the cocking handle/slide where it will slide back and forth okay now and that is a big improvement. HOWEVER, for some reason, after I have it all assembled and pull the trigger the cocking handle/slide/bolt will not budge when I pull on the handle to draw it back. It makes a loud click and then it won't budge. I am not going to try to force it. I can then disassemble the gun, as per the book on the SA MG42 and everything goes back together fine. Here's the sequence I've been using to assemble the gun (less the cover, etc).

1. Install the cocking slide/handle and slide it all the way forward.
2. Slide the bolt all the way forward.
3. Attach the trigger pack with the hammer down.
4. Insert the spring (checking to be sure it is touching the rear of the bolt correctly).
5. Attach the buffer.
6. Attach the stock.
I can then go through the sequence I outlined above with the same results.
SO. I need some help!
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

Simple mechanical processes are what you need to follow. Try one thing at a time till you figure out what the problem is or what the problems are.

When the handle won't pull back, take the grip off. If it pulls back then, see what the problem with the grip is. Is the hammer spring too stiff or is the hammer too long and catching on the bolt extension?

It clicks when you pull it back. What causes the click? Is is jumping past the tab on the bottom of the bolt?

Do I really need to ask all these questions? You figured out one problem and fixed it. Figure out the next problem, and fix that. Then if it still doesn't work, figure out the next problem. Sooner or later, you'll run out of problems.

Grip, bolt, hammer, recoil spring. Which one(s) is it?

johnb593
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by johnb593 »

It appears that the bolt rollers were needing a good dose of grease. I'm now able to cock it but a range shoot will be the proof of the pudding as they say. It's still a little difficult to cock but if I can get it to shoot I'll put 50-100 rounds through it to work it in. Hopefully that will smooth out any rough edges, etc. I hope to go soon but it's so hot right now I might wait for it to cool off a little. Maybe a light at the end of the tunnel. Fingers crossed.
johnb593
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by johnb593 »

I could kick myself! I've piddle farted around and haven't gone to the range even though we've has some very good range weather. Don't give up on me just yet though! I WILL get there.