Firing from the shoulder

Anything MG42 related.
bbrown
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel

Firing from the shoulder

Post by bbrown »

Just recently I've started re-viewing the 1960s-era US TV show called "Combat". In the first episode, after the assault on the Normandy beaches (pretty well done, IMHO, by the standards of 1960s TV production), the team is assigned the task of scouting out a local French farmhouse. Finding that the house is being used by the Germans as a holding area for captured paratroopers, the team attacks the house. During the defense of the house, one German soldier fires an MG-42 propped across a porch rail before he's cut down. Another soldier fires an MG-42 from the shoulder through an open window, with the extended bipod flopping around. Firing from the shoulder would have been difficult at best, and also pretty inaccurate.

I presume German tactical doctrine may not have covered such eventualities, but one must make do with what one has at the moment.
Folke
Feldwebel
Feldwebel
Anti-spam: Mg42

Re: Firing from the shoulder

Post by Folke »

When I do instructions on how to use the MG3 for the soldiers I normally do a demo where I shoot prone, kneeling behind a wooden bench with the bipod folded and resting on the bench, from the hip and finally from the shoulder standing up firing it like a rifle. I can hit a group of man sized targets at 30-50 meters in any of these positions, but they are of course not firing back. Its not difficult at all for me, and I am not a very tall guy, 170 cm. I have fired these guns a bit, though.
SturmHead
Obergefreiter
Obergefreiter

Post by SturmHead »

Folke wrote:When I do instructions on how to use the MG3 for the soldiers I normally do a demo where I shoot prone, kneeling behind a wooden bench with the bipod folded and resting on the bench, from the hip and finally from the shoulder standing up firing it like a rifle. I can hit a group of man sized targets at 30-50 meters in any of these positions, but they are of course not firing back. Its not difficult at all for me, and I am not a very tall guy, 170 cm. I have fired these guns a bit, though.
Where do you put your support hand when firing from the shoulder standing?
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

I shoot it with my left hand under the front of the gun (as far as I can reach) holding it up. It doesn't take long to get hot.

The manuals suggest holding onto the bipod leg like a handle.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
www.Prussia.us
General
General

Post by www.Prussia.us »

I still cannot wrap my head around the idea of German troops firing the 08/15 while standing, yes it has a grip, but that must be awkward when filled with water, a drum mag, and that exposed recoil knob slamming back and forth.

I gather in war when it is life and death, you man up, or get cut down.
“… corporations have been enthroned, and an era of corruption in high places will follow, … until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.”

- Abraham Lincoln (Republican), Nov. 21, 1864
messerschmittfan
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by messerschmittfan »

I agree, firing the MG34 or MG 42 from the shoulder is not that big a deal if you know how. Shooting the MG08/15 from the shoulder would require a BIG person with lots of bulging muscles. It is all I can do to move mine from one place to the other. Does anyone have a carry sling for the MG08/15 or know where one can purchase. Reproduction is fine. Thanks Harry
Folke
Feldwebel
Feldwebel

Post by Folke »

SturmHead wrote:
Folke wrote:When I do instructions on how to use the MG3 for the soldiers I normally do a demo where I shoot prone, kneeling behind a wooden bench with the bipod folded and resting on the bench, from the hip and finally from the shoulder standing up firing it like a rifle. I can hit a group of man sized targets at 30-50 meters in any of these positions, but they are of course not firing back. Its not difficult at all for me, and I am not a very tall guy, 170 cm. I have fired these guns a bit, though.
Where do you put your support hand when firing from the shoulder standing?

The bipod, fold it in the normal way and just place your support hand on it, works like a dream!
Folke
Feldwebel
Feldwebel

Post by Folke »

messerschmittfan wrote:I agree, firing the MG34 or MG 42 from the shoulder is not that big a deal if you know how. Shooting the MG08/15 from the shoulder would require a BIG person with lots of bulging muscles. It is all I can do to move mine from one place to the other. Does anyone have a carry sling for the MG08/15 or know where one can purchase. Reproduction is fine. Thanks Harry

Assault fire with the 08/15 would have to be with the gun on a sling and firing from the hip, I think the gun is too awkward to do it from the shoulder standing - at least very unstable!
Sarge
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Post by Sarge »

Take the 42 sling loose from the grip and put it over your head, disconnect the bipod feet from the back bbl jacket and hold it by the feet u. out at about a 45 degree angle away from the gun.
This allows the weight of the gun to rest against the sling and with the butt under your arm the bipod now gives you control of the gun. This will not work worth a sh-- for long bursts, But when firing short - 5-8 rds - gives good controllability and I can make consistant hits at 100 meters. This also works equally good when doing walking fire.
With the MG 3 and it's slower rate of fire this would be a very simple and effective form of walking fire support.
Sarge