FA MG42 continued to fire

Anything MG42 related.
Waffentag
Oberleutnant
Oberleutnant
Anti-spam: Mg42

FA MG42 continued to fire

Post by Waffentag »

I had a range session, using some reloads the I made a few months ago.

After running a few belts in 7.62 NATO reloads without issue, I had about three instances where my full auto MG42 continued to fire a few rounds after I let up on the trigger. It was not a runaway gun, just a few rounds. I checked the trigger group and bolt and all looked ok.

I think that it may have been a light load? I normally load 42.5 grains of IMR4064 for 150FMJ. I did load some bullets for another rifle with 38 grains of IMR 4064. Would a light load cause this problem?

If it is not the ammo, should I just try swapping out the trigger group, bolt or something else? I have one spare trigger group and a number of spare yugo bolts with stabilizers.

Thanks Pat
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator
Anti-spam: Mg42

Re: FA MG42 continued to fire

Post by JBaum »

38 grains is a pretty light load for a 42. If the bolt isn't thrown 100% to the rear, the sear doesn't catch the bolt because it isn't far enough rearward, and the bolt comes forward again without being caught.

If not that, then either the disconnector is worn (at the front of the trigger group and isn't releasing the sear upward to catch the bolt, the rear tab that hangs down from the bolt has a chip missing, or the grip is sticking and not releasing the disconnector to go upward to be tripped by the bolt as the bolt goes rearward (least likely).

I'd go with the light load theory first. If the gun was changing the rate of fire while you were shooting a burst, it's the ammo.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com