Where to buy loose bolt head?

Anything MG42 related.
Waffentag
Oberleutnant
Oberleutnant
Anti-spam: Mg42

Where to buy loose bolt head?

Post by Waffentag »

Well, now that I have the Gage's, I found that one of my barrels has head space that is too tight!

I have five bolt heads, one bolt head is too tight for any of my barrels, may work on my 8mm?

One barrel is too tight for any of my bolt heads! Now, with the G3, you can change the rollers to fix head space.

How can buy loose bolt head by mail without ending up with just another bolt that is too tight?

Pat
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Where to buy loose bolt head?

Post by JBaum »

Right. Uh, the only guess I'd have for that request is that you'd have to send your barrel to the bolt head seller and have him check it with your gauge.

There is no practical way to get what you're asking. Buy the bolt and take your chances, or take your barrel and gauge to Knob Creek in a few weeks and ask the bolt seller if it's OK to check spacing. Where are you located?
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
Waffentag
Oberleutnant
Oberleutnant

Post by Waffentag »

Central Pa, Not going to Knobb Creek, but will be at the Max Show and the SOS.

No, Rush, I have three barrels that I have bolts for.
mtnlvr
Offizieranwärter
Offizieranwärter

Post by mtnlvr »

What about shimming the barrel extension to increase chamber length or machining the barrel's shoulder shorter to decrease chamber length to make it headspace with the various bolt heads?
Waffentag
Oberleutnant
Oberleutnant

Post by Waffentag »

mtnlvr wrote:What about shimming the barrel extension to increase chamber length or machining the barrel's shoulder shorter to decrease chamber length to make it headspace with the various bolt heads?
I have an MG3 bolt on the way, maybe this bolt head will work on all or the some barrels?

I really do not want to mess with an NOS barrel. For headspace that is too tight, I suppose that one could use a chamber reamer and take a thousands off the shoulder and neck until it headspaces. That is something that I would have my Gumsmith do, if it came to that. I think that the chamber is chrome lined, so this could compromise that. I have heard that unscrewing the barrel extension a bit and shimming may also work. I would be concerned if it left too much of the base of the case unsupported. I suppose another option is to just swap the barrel extension with one that is a bit more worn and see if you get lucky and it wil headspace.

In the mean time, comparatively speaking, bolts are relatively cheap and available. So, I will just keep trying. If I end up with spare bolts, that is not a bad thing. They can always be traded if they fit someone elses barrel.
hakentt
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by hakentt »

sell me you worst 7.62 barrel, need one badly
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

MG34.com is back open and has unused and used bolts for sale.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
Waffentag
Oberleutnant
Oberleutnant

Post by Waffentag »

Update, I found an MG3 Bolt for a good price and it was still too tight in all four 7.62 barrels. So, there goes that theory. It headspaces on a couple of my 8MM Barrels, so I kept it.

I am just going to have to bring my barrel and gage to a show that has a dealer with a bunch of MG42 bolts and try to find one for this barrel. I will not make Knob Creek, but no rush, I have three barrels that I can use.