Question about mauser 1945 receivers. ar to the dd and front shrouds rea and bpr

Anything MG42 related.
Chuck42
Gefreiter
Gefreiter
Anti-spam: Mg42

Question about mauser 1945 receivers. ar to the dd and front shrouds rea and bpr

Post by Chuck42 »

Ok, I know that in 1945 the ar code changed to dd but as far as the long step front sight vs short step and the use of barrel door rivet instead of the large screw. I have a front shroud with the long step front sight and barrel door rivet and I know the long step was only made by the arz rea code. most of these went to dfb svq coded guns (gustloff Werke of Suhl) dfb changed to svq in 1945 they used arz rea exclusively. But what about mauser? From what ive learned from other posts:

STEYR: codes bnz swj NEVER used the long step front sight because they built their own receivers and never made that change and kept the short step, but I have seen them with A Barrel gate rivet rather than screw so this would be short step with barrel gate rivet together. This was seen on swj coded Mg42 which changes from bnz in late 44

MAGET: codes cra swd NEVER used the long step front sight as grossfuss bpr like steyr never made the long step front sight change. But was a barrel door rivet ever used on a swd?

GUSTLOFF WERKE: codes dfb svq ONLY used arz rea manufactured receivers so when the long step came in all the weapons made got it and at some point started getting barrel door rivets not sure when that started.

MAUSER: codes ar dd, Now for my REAL QUESTION mauser only built a little over 4000 some guns in 1945.
I have a demilled rear receiver coded df dd serial 4652e. I know the code was 888e at the beginning of 45 and from what ive researched the highest number found was 48XXe something.
I also have a rea front shroud with long step and barrel door flat headed late war rivet. I am wanting to know if it would be proper to match them as I do not have an svq receiver.
I know mauser used a mix of grossfuss and arz rea receivers. So that means it was random some had the short step sight and some had the LONG STEP receiver RIGHT? BUT DID MAUSER EVER USE BARREL GATE RIVET RATHER THAN SCREW.
Chuck42
Gefreiter
Gefreiter

Re: Question about mauser 1945 receivers. ar to the dd and front shrouds rea and bpr

Post by Chuck42 »

IMG_1669.JPG
IMG_1670.JPG
IMG_1671.JPG
IMG_1673.JPG
IMG_1674.JPG
IMG_1676.JPG
IMG_1677.JPG
IMG_1679.JPG
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Question about mauser 1945 receivers. ar to the dd and front shrouds rea and bpr

Post by 42rocker »

Wow, what interesting first posts. Gad to see them and the detail that you have brought up. I'll review my notes and others and get back with you in a day or two.

Later 42rocker
Chuck42
Gefreiter
Gefreiter

Post by Chuck42 »

Well I've done a lot of looking and from what I've found I think Only Gustloff and Steyr Used the barrel gate rivet. From what see Mauser and Maget kept the screw and never used the rivet. Mauser did use long and short step front sight receivers by both grossfuss and arz but used the barrel door screw on both as I suspect they installed the barrel doors. That means my front shroud with long step and barrel gate rivet would only be seen on a Svq receiver..unless I changed the rivet to a screw then it would work but I am not going to do that as the barrel gate rivets are rare or so I read. I also have a demilled Swj receiver with year code XE (1945 Steyr) It would have had the barrel gate rivet, but would have only had the short step sight. I cant have my cake and eat it too I guess I need an svq receiver for this front shroud as thats the only code it would have come from. And I need a short step shroud with gate rivet for my XE swj receiver..that may be hard to find. As far as the Df DD receiver is concerned any shroud 44-45 WITH gate screw would work.
Chuck42
Gefreiter
Gefreiter

Post by Chuck42 »

1944 mauser Ar code long step w/ screw
mg42 44 ar.jpg
mg42 44 ar 2.jpg
Chuck42
Gefreiter
Gefreiter

Post by Chuck42 »

1945 mauser df dd with short step sight no picture of the barrel gate :(
Attachments
1105_ml.jpg
1108_ml.jpg
mg42z.jpg