Semi automatic and full automatic in one receiver?

Anything MG42 related.
cbass
Hauptmann
Hauptmann
Anti-spam: Mg42

Semi automatic and full automatic in one receiver?

Post by cbass »

Hello all,

Aside from the 308 kit i am trying to sell i havent posted in years here but have been in touch with a few members :D .

So a while back i came across a photo of an mg42 varient (not sure if it was a 42, 53 or mg3) on instagram and it caught my attention. The receiver was currently set up with the semi auto bolt and fire control group and to the side of that he had a full auto FCG and Bolt.

Now as far as my knowledge goes and unless there was major changes made as of the last few years the semi auto and full autos cannot use the same reciever without making some huge modifications, correct?

Well i asked the individual if he had broken into a new terrority and made the impossible possible. All he had to say was "no" or something to that extent short and vague. Now im sure he had deleted the post with the photo as i have not been able to locate it since. If im not mistaken he also had video of the full auto version in use but i cannot confirm if he was using a different and or same mg.

What are your thoughtS?

Sebastian
salt6
General
General

Re: Semi automatic and full automatic in one receiver?

Post by salt6 »

If it's a home build and can run full auto parts, it's an illegal machinegun. To be more clear, if it was built as a semi-auto and he modified full auto parts he has made an illegal machine gun.
Through many dangers, toils and snares
I have already come;
'Tis Grace that brought me safe thus far
and Grace will lead me home.

John Newton (1725-1807)

George Orwell

salt6
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

Salt6 lives! Welcome home, friend.

Conversely to the above possibility, it could have been a registered machine gun, and the guy made a semi auto kit that works in the MG receiver. It's perfectly legal to do that, just not the other way around.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
Abominog
Major
Major

Post by Abominog »

JBaum wrote:Salt6 lives! Welcome home, friend.

Conversely to the above possibility, it could have been a registered machine gun, and the guy made a semi auto kit that works in the MG receiver. It's perfectly legal to do that, just not the other way around.

Yes, and no. Yes, one can use semi parts in a registered auto to make it work like a semi.

In some situations, auto operation using dedicated auto parts may be used in a semi. This is commonly done with HK rifles, where a registered trigger pack is used in a semi gun. It's been done by SOTs that register auto internals and use them in semi Browning 1919/1917. So theoretically one could register MG42 auto parts and use them in a semi gun, though I don't know technically how that would be accomplished, and it's generally considered one of those things not discussed in an open forum. And don't PM me asking me, because I know neither the mechanical nor paperwork solution.
FNG
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

A trigger pack AND a full auto style bolt can enable an H & K semi receiver to fire full auto.

The term "registered" needs to be defined. You're using it to include "research" parts made by an SOT, while most people use it as meaning that it is a transferable item, that is, a part that is considered by itself to be a machine gun, which can be sold to and owned by private individuals, as in it is "registered" on a Form 4. SOT made parts are not registered on a Form 4, can't be registered on a Form 4, and therefore are not able to be owned by people without an SOT. They are not equivalent parts in a legal sense for private ownership.

42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Good to see a salt6 post again.
Interesting subject. Forgetting the legal side of this. After all it's only 5 years $25,000 fine more or less. Could a mg42 legal semi use sot made parts and be made to shoot full auto again??
PLEASE don't post an answer or pm one just think about it. Could it be done by changing out a few parts.
Remember this is normally only done by a class 7 dealer that has an sot. Read Very special gun maker reviewed by the batf a lot.
Something to think about. Again not legal 5 years $25,000 fine and of course legal fees.
I don't think so with the bolt blocker welded in place. My thoughts.

Later 42rocker
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

I thought it was 10 years and $250,000?