New to MG42s and have questions

Anything MG42 related.
SimonLeeGree
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter
Anti-spam: Mg42

New to MG42s and have questions

Post by SimonLeeGree »

Hello everyone. I'm new here especially to MG42's. I'll try to keep a long story short. just over 10 years ago I did a job for a new business owner who couldn't afford to pay me. So he gave me parts kits in trade for my electrical work. I ended up with a bunch of kits including an Izzy 1919a4 (building now), 4 sten kits, FAL kit, Romanian AK kit, a tec9 and Mas bolt action rifle, and 2 MG42 kits. I stowed the kits away and am now in a position to start building some (of the easier ones). I have never messed with MG42's, so it will undoubtedly have to be built by someone who knows what they are doing. I know the kits are missing small parts and one is missing a bolt (gripstick is missing in picture, my brother has it). Some parts are M53 parts but a lot have 43 and 44 markings. I will try to post pictures, my question being, can one be built to semi auto or is there too much missing to fool with? I would love to have a semi auto for my military collection. I have been collecting since I was 8.

Remember, I'm a rookie here so go easy on me. I want to learn everything I can here.
Attachments
Resized_20190122_194731.jpeg
Resized_20181102_162203.jpeg
Resized_20181102_162004(1).jpeg
Resized_20181102_161948(3).jpeg
IMG-20181107-WA0002.jpg
IMG-20181107-WA0000.jpg
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Re: New to MG42s and have questions

Post by JBaum »

If you're not going to bulld it for yourself, you'll need to find someone with a manufacturer's license to do it for you.

www.Lewmanarms.com would be my suggestion. They won't be cheap (nobody is cheap anymore), but they've done some very nice work.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
SimonLeeGree
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Post by SimonLeeGree »

I spoke to them already. They said they only do re-welds. I know it wont be cheap but I'm an electrician by trade not a machinist,I have no skill or equipment to even begin, so I know I would have to pay for semi auto parts and having one built, if one can be built.
I guess I can part them out or put them on GB. No biggie I guess.
I wasn't sure if there were many people out there building these kits like I have (for others). I hear they can be a real pain.
I guess I'll shelve them. back in the trunk they go.
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

Tons of people have built MG42s and M53s into semi guns, but to do it for someone else requires a manufacturer's license. That leave most people out. It's not a small job to reweld and make it work, so it's past the ability level of most people.

SimonLeeGree
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Post by SimonLeeGree »

Would it be economical to buy the semi parts as I can afford them and later assemble it or have it assembled? I am an electrician by trade but my dad works for a gun repair shop and they are a full machine shop.
I may not know much about it, but I am willing to study and learn.
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

SimonLeeGree wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:31 pm Would it be economical to buy the semi parts as I can afford them and later assemble it or have it assembled?
I don't know what you mean by "economical". If you're going to build it or have it built, getting the parts when they're readily available is better (cheaper) than hunting for them at the last minute.

Anyone can learn the skills needed to build the gun, given the time and resources.

SimonLeeGree
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Post by SimonLeeGree »

What I meant by economical was say buying the grip stick now, a little later the semi bolt. Then the rear receiver section. Or just save up and buy it all at once? If I do decide to do this are my shrouds savable or just get new made ones? And with that are there threads here on how to start one as a beginner.
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

What you buy and when you buy it is up to you. Someone else can't decide that. I've already given my advice on when to buy (see my last message above).

People have built good looking and properly functioning guns with worse kits than yours. I'm just saying that someone who has assembled (not built) a few AR-15s, is not an MG42 builder. Being able to do a brake job on a car doesn't qualify that person to rebuild a wreck. Read the build threads on here to learn what you'll need to know.

SimonLeeGree
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Post by SimonLeeGree »

well that is a great way to look at things. I can assemble an AR15, but I'm no builder. My stubborn side doesn't want to give up but sometimes you have to take that step back and check your own limitations.
SimonLeeGree
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Post by SimonLeeGree »

I talked to BRP and they said If I wanted to do a build start at the front and work my way back. I have read a few threads about the front bushing. Is there a "best" thread for removing what's left of my bushing in the front shroud and replacement process? Preferably one that was cut like mine?
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

There is no "best" thread. Every thread is slightly different in its methods of accomplishment, and uses different techniques to solve the different problems that arise. If you're looking for the easiest way to do something to guarantee the finish product, buy one that's already done. There isn't a single crescent wrench that turns every nut and bolt you have.

SimonLeeGree
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Post by SimonLeeGree »

Guess I will have to read a few and find one that can best match my application and the equipment at my disposal.
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

Another big variable with different threads is the skill level of the builder. I've seen a guy weld that is seamless when it was done, and I've seen a few jobs that took two grinding wheels and a cut off blade to fix so that it could be rewelded. You needn't be a master of all the skills, but reading everyone else's solutions for their problems will give you ideas that will work best for your kit and abilities.

I think Lewman rents welding jigs, which is a great help.

SimonLeeGree
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Post by SimonLeeGree »

I've done some modifying of gun parts through the years but I know this will be by far my toughest challenge ever. I am no expert welder to say the least. But my friend has a gun repair shop that is a full machine shop. And I know he IS an expert welder. He builds custom guns and repairs guns for a living and has done so for 49 years. My father works there too and he has been doing it for just as long. So I do have at least a little bit going my way. They have never taken on a challenge like this either so it will be a learning process for all of us.
SimonLeeGree
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Post by SimonLeeGree »

After some thought and reflecting with some builder friends, I've decided to build one of my 42' kits. One kit is earlier and has good looking waffenamts on it. Even the barrel door. I got the GTM shells and a friend is going to help me build it into a dummy, from there I will finish it. There isn't much out there on short shroud builds so I am going/have to take pics of everything as we go.