Any Opions/Thoughts on Northridge Lafette Tripods?

Anything MG42 related.
DrSmeller

Any Opions/Thoughts on Northridge Lafette Tripods?

Post by DrSmeller »

Any opionions on Northridge's MG42/MG3 Lafette tripods, new w/o optics for $550. Optics avaialble for $150. I think Abwehr has said the Lafettes are nice for show but not for shooting?
TOM R
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by TOM R »

:link:
Great men are born in fire, it is the privilege of lessor men to light the flame, no matter the cost

FOR M60 GOTO http://WWW.M60MG.COM
nra lifer
mvpa 31698
46 cj2a
54 m37
56 CJ3B U.S. Navy
t24/m29 weasel
Cpt_Kirks

Post by Cpt_Kirks »

Why in the world would a lafette not be for shooting?
Abwehr

MG3 Lafette

Post by Abwehr »

From the price Northridge has shown, the tripod sounds like the post war MG3. The post war tripods are the absolute best shooting platform I have seen. The Vickers and Bren Tripods are great, but heavy and lack the recoil action of the MG3 tripod. In my opinion, the post war tripod far exceeds the quality of the wartime Tripod.

It is a shame the post war tripods have gone up in price the past couple of years. The one I have was bought about 3 years ago from SG and I paid about $250 w/optics and it is in new condition. If you want one of the post war tripods, try to find one w/optics for about $500. In reality, I never use the optics on mine when shooting, but it is a nice addition to the rig.

The original MG42 Lafette is selling in the neighborhood of $900, and when you can find the optics, they are another several hundered dollars.

Here is a photo of my MG42 on an original Lafette:
Attachments
MG42_Lafette1.JPG
MG42_Lafette1.JPG (322.05 KiB) Viewed 1232 times
DrSmeller

Post by DrSmeller »

yes i should have said they're post war. http://www.northridgeinc.com is the link, i think. Good to hear they're a nice shooting platform. Maybe it was the original pods that were difficult to shoot from. I'll keep an eye out for some post war closer to $500. Thanks.

SN-787A is the part #. A used, VG condition, is avaiable for $449.
TOM R
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by TOM R »

well I got both and both have the remote tripper, both have a recoil absorbing systm, but the post war seems much lighter, but my 42 seems to fit nicer on the ww2 model :D
Great men are born in fire, it is the privilege of lessor men to light the flame, no matter the cost

nra lifer
mvpa 31698
46 cj2a
54 m37
56 CJ3B U.S. Navy
t24/m29 weasel
TOM R
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by TOM R »

at what they want for the pod with optics like $700? the ww2 I got was $899? from aleghney with the aa extension and straps so it is a matter of preference :D i got both but once I restore the ww2 it is for display

nra lifer
mvpa 31698
46 cj2a
54 m37
56 CJ3B U.S. Navy
t24/m29 weasel
DrSmeller

Post by DrSmeller »

I have an HK MG3 tripod, no optics, from Tapco that i got for $300. Not sure what the diff is between that and the post war MG3 Lafette. They had DISA pods at the time, NIW w/optics for $400 -maybe should have gotten one of those. So many similar pods it's hard to know what the differences are.
Abwehr

Lafette

Post by Abwehr »

I am like Tom, I use my post war tripod for shooting and the WWII Lafette for display. I have too much money in the Lafette, but it would be a fine tripod to shoot from if I wanted too
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by DARIVS ARCHITECTVS »

I'm in the process of procuring a WWII lafette and optics from one of the other members on this site. That will take a while since it required refirbishing. After that, I may be looking to sell my postwar MG-3 tripod with Hensoldt optics, light, and battery case. I used it occasionally, using the optics, and functions great. It is used, with several areas where the paint was scratched, but functionally it is tip top and has no dents. The leather pad looks a little worn, but is 100% intact. When shooting 8mm, you typically have to plop a sandbag on the front leg to prevent lifting and shifting and keep you beaten area small. I only shoot 8mm, so I don't know what the recoil effect of lighter .308 would be like. I am curious to see what difference there is in the performance of the WWII lafette versus the MG-3 mount.
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury
88comm
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by 88comm »

Darivs - Keep me in mind when you think of selling the one you have - I might be in the market by then . thanks, Chris ;)
ruqikr454
Stabsgefreiter
Stabsgefreiter

Post by ruqikr454 »

When the time comes, I'd be interested in the tripod also!