What is the battery for on an MG Z?

Anything MG42 related.
ChevyM14

What is the battery for on an MG Z?

Post by ChevyM14 »

Why do you need power for the sights on the trypods? can some one take a pic of that it looks like when you look in one, I have never seen it.
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by DARIVS ARCHITECTVS »

You need the battery box and the light that clips onto the side of the MGZ-40 only to illuminate the target reticle (crosshairs) when it is too dark outside to see it. You don't need it in daytime. The left-and-right adjustments and up-down adjustments on the sight are made mechanically. Plus there are bubble glass type level gages as are found on a carpenter's level to get the tripod mounted level. You make heading and altitude adjustments after levelling the entire tripod in an ideal situation.
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury
ChevyM14

Post by ChevyM14 »

is it like a red dot sight, were the crosshairs light up or is it just a light in the scope that puts light on the crosshairs? do any of the batterys still work?
Reichpapers
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by Reichpapers »

http://www.panzer46.net/mg42board/viewt ... sc&start=0

The above topic will give you a good idea what the reticle looks like when illuminated. Keep in mind that the MG Z optics has a different reticle, like and upside down Y. They light up red though in the same fashion.
It's better to be silent and considered a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
ChevyM14

Post by ChevyM14 »

THAT IS COOL! I have to get me one. what kind of battery dos it use? can you still get them?
Reichpapers
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by Reichpapers »

It uses the 4.5v flat battery available through Phillips, Duracell and a few obscure brand names. Plan to special order on line as I have not found them stocked anywhere yet. The bulbs will be the G3 mini screw bulbs with the low round bulb. 3.8v, 300mA. I have seen 3.5v too. A friend of mine made me a nice replacement bulb that does not blow utilizing a small resistor and a red light emitting diode all soldered into the small bulb screw housing. The led is then bent and aimed out the lighting window... No more blown bulbs and more efficient battery usage.
It's better to be silent and considered a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
lampwick
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel

Post by lampwick »

Is this what you're talking about?

The answer lies in the soil!