Post by Cpt_Kirks »

What exactly does a ratchet plate do?

That's got me stumped.
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by DARIVS ARCHITECTVS »

Heck.. I don't even know what a ratchet plate is.
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury
MCP
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel

Post by MCP »

The ratchet plate is the plate that the cocking lever slides on. BRP calls it a ratchet plate, their older plates had half dimples, and their new version looks more correct, with full dimples. I'm sure that there is a correct name for that part, but like other weapons, people sometimes make up their own names and they stick.

I don't have Herr Baum's books with me today - at work- so I cannot tell you what the Germans called it.

Top picture new "ratchet plate", bottom picture "old ratchet plate"
Attachments
ratchetplateold.jpg
ratchetplateold.jpg (58.39 KiB) Viewed 1121 times
ratchetplatenew1.jpg
ratchetplatenew1.jpg (72.19 KiB) Viewed 1121 times
Blanksguy
General
General

Post by Blanksguy »

MG42 "Ratchet-Plate"......

The MG42 "Ratchet-Plate" preforms several funtions from where it is spot-welded to the right-rear of the receiver:

1: Acts as a "Guide" for the rightside of the cocking-handle-assembly (right-side) to keep it from falling out during use (it has a slot milled into the underside).....some ratchet plates also have an added reenforcement at the front (a forward-stop).

2: The "dimples" only serve as "reenforcements" to keep the ratchet-plate from bending outward during operation of the cocking handle-assembly and to keep the plate from being bent inward if the plate is hit.

3: That "Notch"/"Stop" at the rear of the ratchet-plate is there for use during disassembly....once the buffer/butt-stock and recoil-spring are removed from the rear of the receiver....the cocking-handle is pulled rearward until the cocking-handle-catch stops/makes-contact with the stop on the ratchet-plate. It acts as a stop.

Regards, RichardS.
Blanksguy2001@chartermi.net
Cpt_Kirks

Post by Cpt_Kirks »

Thanks for the info. That helps.

Now for another question: How much torch damage will cause the ratchet plate to have to be replaced? If only the smooth end, past the bumps is cut, will I need a new one?
Blanksguy
General
General

Post by Blanksguy »

The critical area is the slot cut/alignment on the rear of the plate....not the dimples.

Regards, RichardS.
Blanksguy2001@chartermi.net
MCP
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel

Post by MCP »

Thanks for expanding this post Blanksguy! Now I just need to get to the books and start learning the proper nomenclature of the parts. John Baum's books have been great for the proper ID, care and maintenance of the MG42, as well as other weapons.

I don't think he is tooting his horn when he says that you should invest in a little for his books. They clearly show the parts, location, nomenclature and how it works etc... the way the soldiers were instructed to do back in the big one.

Definately reduces the headache factor trying to "guesss" where parts might go. They would answer many of the questions raised.