Legal eagles take note, help needed.

Anything MG42 related.
Daskraut
Oberst
Oberst

Legal eagles take note, help needed.

Post by Daskraut »

:?: Cool site!, now lets put you to the test...Who can get me a direct link or section of BATF laws that pertain to display weapons?. there are alot of opinions out there. Before I plop down $400.00+ for a phili receiver, I need to know what the law says. PLEASE HELP!!.
TOM R
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by TOM R »

if you are going to use a philia ord rec there is no need for quoting the laws cause it is a solid block of metel :?
Great men are born in fire, it is the privilege of lessor men to light the flame, no matter the cost

FOR M60 GOTO http://WWW.M60MG.COM
nra lifer
mvpa 31698
46 cj2a
54 m37
56 CJ3B U.S. Navy
t24/m29 weasel
Daskraut
Oberst
Oberst

Post by Daskraut »

Ah, that was a back-up plan, I want to use my torch cut receiver if I can make it legal. I just hear so damn many "opinions" about what to do to it, when I need facts. As far as philies receiver goes, someone stated that it is considered a "construction in process" by the feds. You hear enough stuff like that and you really desire facts!. I have been asking around for a week on most all other sites till I found the perfect site right here. Now that I found you guys, I know somebody here has the real scoop on this issue. Thanks in advance for any and all help.
TOM R
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by TOM R »

don't see how a solid reciever is an in progress but ok, brp sells the rear rec. for 100
Great men are born in fire, it is the privilege of lessor men to light the flame, no matter the cost

FOR M60 GOTO http://WWW.M60MG.COM
nra lifer
mvpa 31698
46 cj2a
54 m37
56 CJ3B U.S. Navy
t24/m29 weasel
Daskraut
Oberst
Oberst

Post by Daskraut »

what is the diff between using my my restored receiver vs a brp scrap piece for a dummy build up?, plus there are other things like no rails and maybe a solid chunk-o-steel where the bolt and rails went...but is that enough??. You guys have no idea how damn hard it is trying to get info for a dummy gun vs a semi auto!, hell, if I could figure a way to limit my rounds to 10 and get the feds to buy it off ,it would probably be easier. One of my fine bretheran out there has to have the answers, and I can wait .......but it aint easy!, reading about you LUCKY sumbitches out there with the freedom to build an mg42 , hell a semi would be awesome, thank your gods you live in an area where you can still be an american.
Never give a sucker an even break, unless that sucker can break you in even halves!
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

If you want an answer to your question that's worth more than the paper it's written on, you'll have to write ATF with what you propose to do, and if it's OK, they'll say so. Anything less than that is just howling at the moon. Of course, with a commercially available solid block of steel dummy receiver, there's nothing to worry about. That's why they sell them.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
BELTLEAD

Post by BELTLEAD »

If I were you I would buy a dummy receiver now while you live in California and save your demilled receiver pieces for the future if you ever move to a gunfriendly state so you can make a legal semi.
Bullwinkle
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by Bullwinkle »

When you apply the LOGIC used to build other FUNTIONAL semi-auto MG's a dummy kit SHOULD be a Breeze! The 1919 only needs a sideplate that PREVENTS a F/A bolt and parts changed to semi-function in such a way F/A parts will no longer fit....makes sense. The BREN is the same....so a none functioning DUMMY gun should be easy if you follow F/A mods and go a FEW steps further to assure the kit can not be READILY CONVERTED BACK to MG status....

1.Cut the trigger stick opening to prevent F/A triggers...WELD in a dummy grip stick.
2.Weld a steel BLOCK along the botton of the rec'vr to prevent a F/A bolt entry.
3.Gring F/A sear catch OFF bolt.
4 Weld up firing pin hole on Modified Bolt and bolt head to body or destroy other key part(s) of bolt.
5.Weld muzzle section TOO close/tight so bearing or forcing cone will not be able to be used with normal lenght barrel...

It would be IMPOSSIBLE to make a functional MG without some serious Voodo magic.....

am I on the right path???
Mess with the Bull and you'll get the HORNS!
Daskraut
Oberst
Oberst

thanks, good info.

Post by Daskraut »

Thanks guys, some very good ideas out there.The path is there, I was just hoping for a MAP from the feds. I figured with all the bull and regs you guys see/know, there would have been a web page with the exact guidelines to follow.My receiver is so hacked that it is not worth saving when I can buy a much better one from angola for $250+ for the future when I retire. I think I might just slip a big solid chunk of steel into the receiver and weld it in place, then no bolt or anything will fit inside, thus it is no longer a gun....correct?.