Placing Belts in Feed Tray Question

Anything MG42 related.
robertmcw

Placing Belts in Feed Tray Question

Post by robertmcw »

When you guys put the belts in your 42's, do you put the first round in the feed tray slot or just to the left of the slot? When i put the first round of the belt in the slot, I can not pull back the charging handle but when I place the first round of the belt just to the left of the slot everything works fine. Thanks in advance.
Mike

Post by Mike »

I leave 2 links empty and hook the end link over the tab on the right hand side of the feed tray to hold the belt while I shut the top cover, works for me.
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by DARIVS ARCHITECTVS »

Mike's got it right. Leave two rounds out of the end and hang the end link onto the right edge of the feed tray. An experienced MG-42 crew doesn't mess with inserting belt tabs into a closed feedcover. Belt tabs have been known to occasonally cause feed mechanism jams if their end link has been bent out of proper shape. As long as you are aware enough to check that the feed mechamism rail is on the correct side to it does not interfere with the bolt's stud, you will find that you can reload the MG much faster than using a belt tab. Only a careless operator (dumb bubba) damages the feed mechanism rail by slamming the feed cover down without first checking the rail alignment.
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury
robertmcw

Post by robertmcw »

I take it to mean that you do NOT put the cartridge in the slot? I take it to mean that you put an empty space on the belt in the slot and then the feed mechanism pulls in the first cartridge that is in the second placeholder in the belt? Dont mean to seem dense and maybe I am making this more difficult than it should be. :?:
drooling idiot
General
General

Post by drooling idiot »

the bolt wont charge over a loaded round .
this is normal for the 42.

In full-auto the sequence is
boom-boom-boom-boom-boom-boom-boom-boom-boom, clunk.
rack the bolt , load new belt , with bolt held to the rear by the sear, and your ready to go.

In semi-auto its
boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, click .
rack bolt , hold charging handle back under pressure with one hand while trying to feed the next belt .
release handle and let it fly forward under power of the bolt and recoil spring to strip and chamber the first round.

i like the starter tabs for the semi-auto , they make reloading quicker and easier in my opinion.
"good , bad, .....I'm the man with the gun."

Its amazing anything works right around here with a bunch of
over-age juvenile delinquents running the place.
Intruder196
Major
Major

Post by Intruder196 »

Mine works the same way. I either leave the first 4-5 empty and lay the first loaded cartridge just to the left of the slot or I leave the cover down and load with a starter tab.
M1 Tanker
Oberst
Oberst

Post by M1 Tanker »

According the John's manuals you are supposed to leave the first link empty when not using starter tabs. Loading a semi auto is a pain in the ass for sure.
robertmcw

Post by robertmcw »

That is what I thought. My 1919 is different, you can start it with a round in the slot on the feed tray.

Thanks, thought there was something wrong with my gun.
M1 Tanker
Oberst
Oberst

Post by M1 Tanker »

Nawww, just operator headspace and timing.
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by DARIVS ARCHITECTVS »

Gee you fellas really know how to confuse the guy. Look, it's VERY easy. Leave the first TWO links EMPTY for a full auto MG-42. When the bolt flies forward, the gun goes BWWAAAATTTTTTTT!!!! as long as you hold the trigger. SA guns are a WHOLE DIFFERENT deal. They don't work like FA guns, so yeah... they are a pain because of all the extra steps you have to take to chamber the first round.
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury
blckwlfny
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Loading belt

Post by blckwlfny »

Just got my SA back from a reweld. I make sure that the feed arm is all the way to the feeding side (left) and I hold the bolt back, but I cannot close the top cover.
However, when I align the feed arm the same way, load the belt with an empty link over the feed tray, and the bolt forward it cycles OK
Am I damaging something when I do this?
John
joshk98k

Post by joshk98k »

Not to add to the confusion, but is there a bolt-hold-open option for the semi-autos??? I also have a hard time loading a belt while holding the charging handle all the way in the rear position.

Thanks,
josh
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

I think this all points to the need for installing a bolt hold-open device for the SA guns, to be able to place the belt in the tray with the first cartridge against the stops while closing the cover.

Some later model top covers have a spring loaded feed arm, some bolts have a spring loaded feed roller. The two together ensure that the feed arm and bolt don't need to be in a particular position to be able to close the cover. If the cover closes with the feed arm pushing on the feed roller, the roller is pressed down onto the bolt housing, and when the bolt is pulled back, it jumps up into the feed arm slot. I think the spring loaded feed roller may not apply with the SA guns, because of the firing pin arrangement through the bolt. Older FA guns had to have the feed lever moved to the side to align it with the feed roller, but the gun was loaded with the bolt held back as standard procedure. For FA guns, the spring loaded feed arm and feed roller are the way to go.

For semi guns, the bolt hold-open device eliminates a problem that is encountered every time a belt is laid in. It's worth the trouble, I'd think.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
Karbinator

Post by Karbinator »

joshk98k wrote:Not to add to the confusion, but is there a bolt-hold-open option for the semi-autos??? I also have a hard time loading a belt while holding the charging handle all the way in the rear position.

Thanks,
josh
Josh... Yes !! I was happy with building up some weld just below and behind the
last rearward rivet hole, and then making a scallop off the back of it. It was shaped
like a ramp, with the tip curving towards the back. When you pulled the handles all the
way back there, the outside of the catch would slightly bury itself into this recess.

Another board member made something else. It's more secure, and very much like
a locking device. I thought there was a sticky on it. The one I mentioned above allows
you to push the handle forward, and it releases the catch instantly, and flys forward to
strip the round. I've never made the latter. So I don't know if it does this or not.

hope that helped. Sorry guys for the off topic.
joshk98k

Post by joshk98k »

Danke! And wouldn't that solve Robert's problem? (Keep this ON topic :mrgreen: ).

Josh
blckwlfny
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by blckwlfny »

Just to refocus, is what im doing going to damage the gun?
joshk98k

Post by joshk98k »

I don't think it will hurt anything because the feed pawls will pull the belt and line up the next (first) round won't it?
fjruple
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by fjruple »

joshk98k--

Take a look under the Sticky in MG42 Build It Yourself. In order to safe load a S42 you need a third hand. A bolt open device lets you load the SA42 like the MG42 with ease.

--fjruple
drooling idiot
General
General

Re: Loading belt

Post by drooling idiot »

blckwlfny wrote:Just got my SA back from a reweld. I make sure that the feed arm is all the way to the feeding side (left) and I hold the bolt back, but I cannot close the top cover.
However, when I align the feed arm the same way, load the belt with an empty link over the feed tray, and the bolt forward it cycles OK
Am I damaging something when I do this?
John
with the bolt held back the feedarm MUST be on the rightside.
with the bolt forward the feedarm MUST be on the leftside.
your not damaging anything its just how you prefer to load your SA42.
"good , bad, .....I'm the man with the gun."

Its amazing anything works right around here with a bunch of
over-age juvenile delinquents running the place.
WallyG.

Bolt Hold open

Post by WallyG. »

There is a very low tech hold open used by BRP....
A piece of anlge Aluminum (painted red) is inserted into the ejection port when the bolt is pulled rearward. The angle is sized so tha the bolt rides forward 1/4 inch or so to engage the hold open. Load your belt... then pull the cocking handle to the rear for the 1/4 inch or so and release for a full power round strip... the angle falls out of the way of the forward traveling bolt and is left on the ground until needed again for the next belt.

1.5 inch aluminum angle 3 1/16 inches long.