Trip to the range

Anything MG42 related.
Sherman

Trip to the range

Post by Sherman »

Took the MG 42 to the range this afternoon, runs great. Took 3 photos, spent most of my time shooting and explaining that it is a semi. This gun just makes one smile. It runs 8mm great, had some problems with 7.62 but I've resolved most all of them now. The "new" MG 3 top cover was missing a small part that I was able to turn on my lathe and the feedplate was slightly bent, easly fixed. As it is now, the old 7.62 top cover/feedplate assy feeds new 7.62 or old 8mm non dis links just fine and the MG 3 top cover/feedplate assy feeds M13 links and only old 8mm non dis links or belts. Who knows, sometimes these things can be just like women and you gotta give em what they like. Lon
Attachments
DSC00393.JPG
DSC00393.JPG (586.71 KiB) Viewed 1195 times
DSC00394.JPG
DSC00394.JPG (340.3 KiB) Viewed 1195 times
DSC00392.JPG
DSC00392.JPG (582.67 KiB) Viewed 1195 times
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by DARIVS ARCHITECTVS »

SWEEEEEET!! :mrgreen: Are you going to add a bipod to complete the MG-42 look?
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury
hakentt
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by hakentt »

spent most of my time shooting and explaining that it is a semi.
Why do you have to explain people that is a semi auto? They can clearly hear when you shoot that is not a rapid fire so why would people come spoil your enjoyment. I took my semi ZB-30 one day to the gun range and thats the last time I went to gun range. First I was asked if it was Turkish, then if it was full auto, then the legality questions. Old pricks are the worse. I only shot 40 rounds because I had a shell pre ignite. I needed a screw driver to un jam the bolt but I figured I will just pack it for now. No need for me to be somewhere where I can't enjoy it. Few old pricks tryed to tell me how I can un jam it, I ignored them thinking "I built the gun my self you dumbass I know what the problem is". When I build my MG there is no way that I will take to the gun range.
propos

Post by propos »

Great looking SA-42. BTW, what minor problems did you have with the 7.62 set-up. And what is the finish?
striker754
Oberst
Oberst

Post by striker754 »

hakentt wrote:
spent most of my time shooting and explaining that it is a semi.
Why do you have to explain people that is a semi auto? They can clearly hear when you shoot that is not a rapid fire so why would people come spoil your enjoyment. I took my semi ZB-30 one day to the gun range and thats the last time I went to gun range. First I was asked if it was Turkish, then if it was full auto, then the legality questions. Old pricks are the worse. I only shot 40 rounds because I had a shell pre ignite. I needed a screw driver to un jam the bolt but I figured I will just pack it for now. No need for me to be somewhere where I can't enjoy it. Few old pricks tryed to tell me how I can un jam it, I ignored them thinking "I built the gun my self you dumbass I know what the problem is". When I build my MG there is no way that I will take to the gun range.
Probably because it was a machine gun at one time and looks exactly like it and people are bred to think machine guns are bad.
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by DARIVS ARCHITECTVS »

At my range, it's the old guys who are the best, some of the are vets. They are always interested in looking at the MG-42. The only ones who are any problem are those few young, snotty AR-15 owners who never clean up their shells, leaving it up to me and my friends to clean up the range before and after we shoot. There's always one or two irresponsible slobs who just come to the range to make a mess. You wanna smack'em around and tell'em you're not their Mommy and it's not your job to change their diapers. The hunters sighting in their deer rifles show no interest in military guns. I like talking to the old guys here, because you learn a lot.
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury
Cpt_Kirks

Post by Cpt_Kirks »

The only "for-real ranges" I go to are FA ranges. No problems there.

Most of my shooting is done on private property.

I got to shoot my BW5 with bumpfire gadget Sunday at a friend's house in the country. He spray painted a bullseye on an old water heater and we filled it with 9mm holes. Tons `o fun!
IMBLITZVT
General
General

Post by IMBLITZVT »

Sounds great! What grip mods did you use? Did you do it yourself or did someone do it for you? FAL or AR?
Sherman

Post by Sherman »

Well let's see, it has a Pirate gripstick and bolt with a few mods, the finish is Parkerizing, manganese to be exact. I have 2 bipods both of which need some tweeking and refinishing, 1 adjustable with Nazi markings and the other nonadjustable, still trying to decide which one to use. The gun from the cam piece back is PJ coded with Nazi marks but the front is mostly Yugo.

Later I will post some photos of what I did to the feedplate to make this thing run, and run it does. I'm glad someone else mentioned "bump firing" because if you've shot one of these off this buffered mount you know it puts "bump firing" in a whole new prospective. Does make it tough to convince the bench rest shooter that it is a semi auto, had to take the gripstick off to show one of the local "experts" that it is all FAL and that the FA part of the hammer is gone. Sometimes they are so dumb it makes your eyes cross trying to see where they are comming from. Thanks, Lon
propos

Post by propos »

Fortunately I go to a private range. You're liable to see anything there. A lot of the guys shoot AK's, AR's, FAL's, etc. Actually that is how I came to build my SA-42. My buddy and I were there one day and there was a young guy there with a 1919 semi. He let us shoot it and I was hooked. He could really work that trigger. Sounded like FA sometimes. On the way back home I started thinking about building a 1919. Then I came across this site. So now, sitting on the floor off to one side of me, is an SA-42 ready for another trip to the range. I hope I have corrected some minor glitches that I have had. Only another trip to the range will tell the tale.
IMBLITZVT
General
General

Post by IMBLITZVT »

Sherman wrote: I have 2 bipods both of which need some tweeking and refinishing, 1 adjustable with Nazi markings and the other nonadjustable, still trying to decide which one to use.
I will buy the Nazi one or trade + cash for my Dangola bipod.
308nut

Post by 308nut »

I try to go to the range as early as possiable. That way I beat all the rocket scientists to the most out of the way spot. Most of those guys are too lazy to walk all the way over there to have a look. I saw one guy using his spotting scope to take a peak. I just smiled and waved and thought, you only have a weatherby mag. that anyone can buy. But I have a rare and beautyfull piece of history that I sculped from a pile of junk. One guy came over and asked what I hunted with that? I told him "DUCKS". He just walked off shaking hid head. The less you tell these dumb asses the better off you are. It is never hard to find someone that likes to make trouble for someone else. Very nice job on the 42 congrats. I love the color.
Sherman

Post by Sherman »

Ducks??? You know, with enough of an impact area, AA tripod and sights , ducks would be doable. As far as the color, if I had known how easy Parkerizing is to do I could have saved LOTS of money. You can get by using 1 tank and a garden hose, no problem. I degrease with solvent washer and brake clean, go to the blast cabinet, blow off with shop air, into the tank and rince with the hose. I spend a good while with the hose, blow dry with shop air and then soak with WD 40. I keep the tank at 195-200, use distilled water and have the mix just a little stronger than Brownells instructions say. It is no joke, if you can boil water , you can Parkerize.

Oh, I think I'll keep both bipods, looks like I may just have to build another '42, Thanks, Lon