SOG M53 kits

Anything MG42 related.
Cpt_Kirks

Post by Cpt_Kirks »

I bought a kit from SOG the last time they had some.

I had forgot about it, but they did have me fax a copy of my DL.
stearmandriver

Post by stearmandriver »

SOG is a wholesaler and doesn't deal to the general public. If you have a FFL or C&R, send them a copy and the door will open without any hassels. You also get this great monthly newspaper sent to you that has lots of great stuff not listed on the website. It's worth it.
Sure, technicaly they don't need the info they asked for for the kit purchase, but as the are strictly a wholesaler, I'm sure they are just covering there ass and probably trying to deter the general public from buying from them. I've been very pleased with them. I've bought lots of stuff from them. Plus, the girls are fun once you get to know them.
MPLoyd
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel

Post by MPLoyd »

Well I agree that it is a bear to have to do all that stuff. Likewise I just ordered my SOG kit. It took me 3 tries. First I had to send them the damn permission slip, Second time I had to wait a full 24 hours for them to enter me in their data base, and Third time actually got it ordered. Pain in the a$$ but worth it for the cost.

Back to the build side. I noticed that in Stearmandriver’s pictures there was some of the trunion section/camming piece left. Is this a f-up on their kits or standard sop. Any one else got a SOG kit with some of the trunion area left on their barrel shroud? I’m asking because I am thinking about buying 2 SOG kits to get the metal to make a trunion section from 2 barrel shrouds.
A noble and honorable man does not fear violence. He does not hide and cower from it, permitting vicious and evil men to commit heinous acts.
msg1956
Leutnant
Leutnant

Post by msg1956 »

This must be something new. I ordered an M53 kit from SOG this spring, and all I did was call them up and give them my credit card number. It was a pretty nice kit too!

Jim
When in worry, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Press One to continue in English, press Two to be put on hold until you can!
none123

Post by none123 »

MPLoyd wrote: Back to the build side. I noticed that in Stearmandriver’s pictures there was some of the trunion section/camming piece left. Is this a f-up on their kits or standard sop. Any one else got a SOG kit with some of the trunion area left on their barrel shroud? I’m asking because I am thinking about buying 2 SOG kits to get the metal to make a trunion section from 2 barrel shrouds.

I have some w/ more and some w/ less. Just luck of the draw
MPLoyd
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel

Post by MPLoyd »

I ordered one kit and am waiting to see how much of the cam is there. If I can get around half it seems much more doable then making it up totally from scratch.
A noble and honorable man does not fear violence. He does not hide and cower from it, permitting vicious and evil men to commit heinous acts.
hcpookie
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by hcpookie »

msg1956 wrote:This must be something new. I ordered an M53 kit from SOG this spring, and all I did was call them up and give them my credit card number. It was a pretty nice kit too!

Jim
Ditto... this was my experience as well.
Demontrooper
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by Demontrooper »

These SOG Kits are exactly the same as my FTF kit; it includes part of the cam peice, and as my topic "Fabricating the Cam Piece" in the MG42 Build It Yourself forum; you will find yourself in the same boat as I am (if you have an IMA type cut rear receiver or BRP rear). Like I said in that topic, it's only about 1/2 inch missing of the cam peice between the shroud and rear receiver. I just bought a whole cam peice from Sherman; ergo I will be elaborating more in that topic about the actual fabricating theory.
MGMike
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by MGMike »

Deamontrooper:

As a newbie with an M53 in hand and IMS rear sections coming, who is Sherman? Does he/they have the nose pieces of the shroud too?

Thanks, Mike
Demontrooper
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by Demontrooper »

Hey Mike. Welcome to the forum!

Sherman is a member here; he may have a cam section left to sell you. You need to be a more well established member (start talking more on this site, put up more posts and responses) to access the for sale section to meet Sherman. He does not have the nose peices, but as you may now know, Weaponeer from Weaponeer.net is making nose sections for a large group buy, so I suggest you join Weaponeer.net so that you can join up in that group buy. He is the only source for nose peices, no one else has them.

I will tell you honestly; as you know you are missing about 1/2 inch of the cam, just like me (IMS receiver = IMA yes?) I am using Shermans peice more for reference so that I can fabricate this missing bit rather than use the whole peice he sold me.

I started two topics about Fabricating the Cam Peice and Fabricating the Barrel Guide Sleeve (the nose). Check them out!

Happy browsing!
Demontrooper
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by Demontrooper »

Bad news for Mike and everyone with SOG kits; Sherman is out of cam sections.
Good news; It's only 1/2 inch missing of the cam peice; so if you guys get your IMA peices, you will be OK.
handym3000

Post by handym3000 »

can these be rebuilt easily? as in just as hard as the mg-42.
none123

Post by none123 »

same as the 42.. if you can get a receiver
Demontrooper
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by Demontrooper »

Yes, the MG3/ m53 is exactly the same as the MG42 for building. I am building my m53 with an MG42 receiver, and everything fits, etc.
daves100

m53

Post by daves100 »

what is the total cost to build a lit
smokinggun

Post by smokinggun »

hey guys, Does SOG still have kits in stock ? Does anyone know anything about the sarco kits avalible ? Are they workable ?
Cpt_Kirks

Post by Cpt_Kirks »

I got my SOG kits in. They look pretty much like the earlier SOG kits and the earlier CFS kits.

Torched shroud section, fair to good barrel, other parts in good condition.

One barrel has surface rust, but the rifling is OK.

About average, I guess.
KMURPHY

Post by KMURPHY »

^^^^How long to ship to you?
Cpt_Kirks

Post by Cpt_Kirks »

Less than a week.

All the current parts sets appear to come from the same source. The boxes and packing methods are exactly the same.
Sledge303

Post by Sledge303 »

I thought I mentioned this a while back in a previous thread. ALL Yugoslavian M53's were brought into this country by Century International Arms. They were de-milled here, in the bond warehouse. Century disposed of all the the Yugo leftover receiver sections, none were sold. Century creates all the sets and packs them all into boxes. SOHGI is a Century distributor as is CFS and so get them direct from the warehouse, just as APEX (who I work with) does.
Hope that makes a clearer picture for those parties that are interested.