Prices to weld up a 4 cut?

Anything MG42 related.
ScottD
Major
Major

Prices to weld up a 4 cut?

Post by ScottD »

My German 4 cut is sitting in my parts box and is driving me crazy! What is the general running price to weld this thing together? Anybody running any super deals around here? I know there is a guy here offering services @450, but I was wondering if I cleaned it up or did some other kind of prep/finish if the price would drop?
My soultion for everything "Get a bigger hammer or larger caliber!"
TOM R
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by TOM R »

http://panzer46.net/mg42board/viewtopic.php?t=3101

here is the ad in the suppliers section, you would have to contact stout on his pricing , but having been involved in 5+ builds this is alooooottt of work to get it right and time consuming 3 or 4 cut
Great men are born in fire, it is the privilege of lessor men to light the flame, no matter the cost

FOR M60 GOTO http://WWW.M60MG.COM
nra lifer
mvpa 31698
46 cj2a
54 m37
56 CJ3B U.S. Navy
t24/m29 weasel
tomcatshaas
General
General

Post by tomcatshaas »

To me, $450. is a bargan. I couldn't get Pete the money fast enough when he offered this service. There is another member here that wanted to charge MUCH more for the same services.
Pete (pdstout) is very good to work with. Stands behind his services. And produces a nice product. He told me he had to tack weld, and cut off my nose piece 3 times before he was sure it was perfect. I just don't see how he could charge any less for what is involved.

TC
resting
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel

Post by resting »

I've dealt with Pete and he is a class act. I felt that the price was more than fair. The pieces are hard to come by, didn't want to burn them up gobbing on them myself.
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

I haven't dealt with P Stout,but I did weld my own receiver with some help.The time and effort is well worth $450.That is cheap for the work involved.I imagine he can do it for that price because of the economy of scale.To have someone do just one would be much more.I would be leary of anyone that offers to do it for less,as they would be working for almost free.Just my opinion. ---bil
MGW LLC

Post by MGW LLC »

If you are looking for a bargain reweld price....Pstout is it.

I will be offering a reweld service for 3, 4 cuts and Yugo M53's but it WILL be more expensive.
I'm offering more to my service and guaranteeing the welds for life.

It pretty much boils down to how much of the project are you able to do yourself?
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

I agree-there is a lot to be done after the receiver is welded.And you really need to have the receiver done right to get the rest to work.Its like a wrecked car,if you fix it up but it still has a bent frame,it will never be right.There is a lot of fitting and fooling around as itis,get started straight and you will save a lot of agrivation later. ---bil
ScottD
Major
Major

Post by ScottD »

Well, you guys have sold me on Pete. Looks like Ill email him soon. Thanks for the input.
mp40gunner

Post by mp40gunner »

Pete did my receiver and redid the nose cone again with no questions asked. Just remember that there is really really a lot of work after the welding no matter who does it. Also, based on my experience, there are no (2) Mg's that are the same.

Now that it runs, I couldn't be happier with it. If you're not a welder, Pete is a good way to go.

Cain
ScottD
Major
Major

Post by ScottD »

Oh, I can weld.

Just the other day I tried to tack a battery hold down in my project car. As soon as I put pressure on it, she popped loose.

Sure, I can weld. Just not well!