recuperator assembly

Anything MG42 related.
1919gunner

recuperator assembly

Post by 1919gunner »

can anyone explain to me how and where the recuperator is installed in this gun? I for the life of me cannot figure it out and cannot find a picture of it. Thanks.... Shawn 8)
Apatriot

Post by Apatriot »

The recouperator mounts inside on the left side of the reciever,under the left hand bolt guide rail.The end with the channel attached ,bolts through the bottom of the reciever just behind the grip frame.the front end bolts into the left side of the reciever,under the rail in the feed tray area.
1919gunner

Post by 1919gunner »

Uh. Ok :? Wish I had a visual.
ak47dennis

Post by ak47dennis »

Yes it mounts on the left side under the rail. If you look at your left hand rail the bottom has been machined flat for clearance for the recouperator. The machined side faces down towards the bottom of the reciever.
1919gunner

Post by 1919gunner »

dear wise Dennis, What exactly does the recuperator do (purpose?) :roll:
drooling idiot
General
General

Post by drooling idiot »

pardon the poor graphics but try to visualise
red as the trunion , blue as the pistol grip , and brown as the buttstock.
the recuperator (a mg42 one) in the picture would lay on the bottom of the reciever as it is it the picture.
Attachments
mg42 recuperator 2.JPG
mg42 recuperator 2.JPG (13.17 KiB) Viewed 5077 times
drooling idiot
General
General

Post by drooling idiot »

1919gunner wrote: What exactly does the recuperator do (purpose?) :roll:
after a round has been fired and the barrel and bolt recoil together , they are separated by the trunnion . the bolt continues rearward but the barrel gets pushed forward by the recuperator.
this is a pic of a mg 3 recuperator , notice the "tail" on the end.
Attachments
mg3 recuperator.jpg
mg3 recuperator.jpg (10.94 KiB) Viewed 5075 times
1919gunner

Post by 1919gunner »

OOOOhhhh. :wink: Thank you, Shawn
1919gunner

Post by 1919gunner »

I have heard others complain that they did not recieve the mounting hardware. How it this thing attached to the reciever? screws, rivets? Shawn
aftershock2222
Unteroffizier
Unteroffizier

Post by aftershock2222 »

Well,I think I've figured out how the front of the recuperator is mounted to the receiver.For lack of a better word ,a small machined L-shaped bolt goes into front slot in the recuperator were it catches against the plunger. When the recuperator is put in the receiver,the bolt sticks out through an approx. 3/16'' hole drilled in the side of the receiver.It's fastened with a small nut.I didn't get rear mounting hardware with my recuperator.Somebody please let me know if I'm wrong.
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator
Anti-spam: Mg42

the recuperator. . .

Post by JBaum »

The barrel and bolt recoil together for about 8 millimeters, then the bolt rollers hit the cams, forcing them inwards. While the initial 8mm of recoil is occurring, the recuiperator is being compressed by the barrel extension. As soon as the bolt rollers are shoved toward the center, the bolt unlocks from the barrel extension and the recuperator pushes the barrel forward. The bolt continues rearward, extracting, ejecting, stripping the next shot from the belt, operating the belt lever, and loading and locking to the barrel, ready to fire again.

The recuperator is held by small bolts to the lower left side of the receiver, with the spring loaded knob toward the front. Screws should be peened over to prevent self-loosening.... or use locktite.

May I suggest a manual that would help understand the sequence of operation of the MG42? H.Dv. 216/6 is an origiinal German manual translated to English that has many graphics and an excellent description of how the MG42 works. It will answer some of your questions about which parts do what, and explain the recoiling of the barrel, how the booster works, and what each part does. It also includes exploded diagrams of all parts.

See http://www.GermanManuals.com for details.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
Otis Cambell

Post by Otis Cambell »

Jbaum - good explaination.

AS2222 :
You're right. The L-shaped screw goes up front with the leg of the "L" facing aft in the recuperator slot. The leg can fit either direction - with the leg facing fwd or facing aft. Put it in with the leg facing towards the rear.

The rear bolt is a 5mm speciality bolt with shoulders cut such that the slot in the recuperator retains the bolt head from turning while the nut is being torqued. As I recall a 8-32 x 1/2 english machine screw will work just fine in it's place. The rear recuperator screw only keeps the recuperator down in the reciever. All of the shear of the recuperator is taken by the L-shaped bracket (not to be confused with the L shaped screw in the front of the recuperator) riveted to the receiver just to the rear of the recuperator
Last edited by Otis Cambell on Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Abwehr

Recuperator

Post by Abwehr »

One thing to remember, don't weld the recuperator assembly to the receiver! Use the special bolt only.

Get in touch with John Baum and order some of his excellent translations of the original manuals, they will help with many of your questions. Plus they are great reading too.
Otis Cambell

Post by Otis Cambell »

The cost of the manuals is a small price to pay considering the vast amount of knowledge gained
1919gunner

Post by 1919gunner »

jbaum please tell me exactly which manual to order from you and it's cost. I'll be looking forward to talking to you soon. Shawn
TOM R
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by TOM R »

1919gunner go to johns site with the link above and click manuals there is a discription of all manuals with pics and pricing I just ordered 4 manuals today, hope this helps :)
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

click the link

Post by JBaum »

Full descriptions (and prices) for each of the 10 or so MG42/MG3 manuals I've translated to English can be read at:

http://www.GermanManuals.com/manuals.html

thanks for your interest,

John
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com