Receiver marking question?

Anything MG42 related.
cz2
Oberleutnant
Oberleutnant

Receiver marking question?

Post by cz2 »

Hi All, :?
Any one know what the upper marking, the K 5, in the rectangle above the"rea" in the pix means? There seems to be an arrow inside as well, pointing from the 5 to the K.
The Yugo's seem fond of numbers in boxes but I have not seen a number/alpha combo. No other odd markings on the section of rec. I have, Std. MU dfb marked.
Thanks,cz2
All glory is fleeting.
Michael J

Re: Receiver marking question?

Post by Michael J »

MU i think is year, dfb is manufacturer i think... Nice clean looking weld :D
PvtJoker

Post by PvtJoker »

Michael J wrote:Nice clean looking weld :D
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing when I looked at it. Wish mine looked that clean... :wnana:
Michael J

Post by Michael J »

Just finished welding, and it would be safe to say, if yours were a 10, mine are a 1 or 2 :lol: ! I'll get pics later.

Anyways, to add onto this post, just wondering if anyone can determine the year of make of my code? I have a "PJ" on the top, a "c" at the end of a 4 digit serial #, and i'm guessing it was manufactured by "BNZ" (i think Steyr?).
MGMike
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by MGMike »

Michael J wrote:Just finished welding, and it would be safe to say, if yours were a 10, mine are a 1 or 2 :lol: ! I'll get pics later.

Anyways, to add onto this post, just wondering if anyone can determine the year of make of my code? I have a "PJ" on the top, a "c" at the end of a 4 digit serial #, and i'm guessing it was manufactured by "BNZ" (i think Steyr?).
The PJ is Yugo.

MikeD
longhorn109
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by longhorn109 »

Hi Michael J I hope this helps, quoting from Folke Myrvang's book

"Styre began marking its 1944 production "bnz PJ", then later that year switched to its newly assigned contractor code "swj PJ"."

The c at the end of your serial number just indicates that the ranges 0001a-9999a, 0001b-9999b etc have been used and your gun comes from the "c" batch. once 9999c has been reached it will go to 0001d and so on.

My MG42 had PJ stamped just behind the rear sight.
The only thing that helps me maintain my slender grip on reality is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes.
Michael J

Post by Michael J »

longhorn109 wrote:Hi Michael J I hope this helps, quoting from Folke Myrvang's book

"Styre began marking its 1944 production "bnz PJ", then later that year switched to its newly assigned contractor code "swj PJ"."

The c at the end of your serial number just indicates that the ranges 0001a-9999a, 0001b-9999b etc have been used and your gun comes from the "c" batch. once 9999c has been reached it will go to 0001d and so on.

My MG42 had PJ stamped just behind the rear sight.
Cool, huge thanks :D!