Any MG42 Transit case plans?

Anything MG42 related.
Starvingboy

Any MG42 Transit case plans?

Post by Starvingboy »

Does anyone have transit case plans out there for the MG42? Or for the m53 since the germans didn't use transit cases. I have a less than computer savy friend that wants me to magically invent one from the internet.... help?
12thWaffenSS

Re: Any MG42 Transit case plans?

Post by 12thWaffenSS »

Starvingboy wrote:Does anyone have transit case plans out there for the MG42? Or for the m53 since the germans didn't use transit cases. I have a less than computer savy friend that wants me to magically invent one from the internet.... help?
Do a search. Seriously. For real. I'm not kidding.
Starvingboy

Post by Starvingboy »

heh, I did. Lots of people asking the same thing... lots of deleted pictures on this forum... but no actual plans that I could find. Any links?
12thWaffenSS

Post by 12thWaffenSS »

Starvingboy wrote:heh, I did. Lots of people asking the same thing... lots of deleted pictures on this forum... but no actual plans that I could find. Any links?
Okay, I guess I'll have to find you pictures of German Wartime transit crates for the MG42. Shouldn't be too hard.
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by DARIVS ARCHITECTVS »

Since the WWII MG-42 transit cases never existed, you'll have a hard time coming up with photos. We use home made cases in reenactment purely as a matter of convenience for packing and transporting our guns. Transit cases for k98's generally didn't go to the front. They went from the factory to the ordinance depots by rail or other means, then the weapons were distributed to the troops from there by all kinds of means, including horsecarts. One of our members here makes absolutely wonderful transit crates, and me and friends also make custom weapon transit crates in my shop. I don't have plans, and usually make such a crate from scratch withe weapon right there in the shop for test fitting and sizing as construction goes. That way, it always comes out a perfect fit.

I hope Salt6 is working on the missing photo problem. We will have lost a LOT of valuable info if they cannot be restored to the forum.
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury
12thWaffenSS

Post by 12thWaffenSS »

DARIVS ARCHITECTVS wrote:Since the WWII MG-42 transit cases never existed, you'll have a hard time coming up with photos. We use home made cases in reenactment purely as a matter of convenience for packing and transporting our guns. Transit cases for k98's generally didn't go to the front. They went from the factory to the ordinance depots by rail or other means, then the weapons were distributed to the troops from there by all kinds of means, including horsecarts. One of our members here makes absolutely wonderful transit crates, and me and friends also make custom weapon transit crates in my shop. I don't have plans, and usually make such a crate from scratch withe weapon right there in the shop for test fitting and sizing as construction goes. That way, it always comes out a perfect fit.

I hope Salt6 is working on the missing photo problem. We will have lost a LOT of valuable info if they cannot be restored to the forum.
I FOUND A PICTURE. You could easily jam a Mg42 in there. Maybe even two. However, I think these were designed for something much more powerful. Who knows...lightning...fire...the power of God.

Starvingboy

Post by Starvingboy »

Well... thanks anyway I guess. It's for my Dad really, he wants to build a case, and we can't finish the guns until my brother gets back from bootcamp. I was hoping someone had posted specs of a yugo case... or a nice home built. If not, then not.
12thWaffenSS

Post by 12thWaffenSS »

Starvingboy wrote:Well... thanks anyway I guess. It's for my Dad really, he wants to build a case, and we can't finish the guns until my brother gets back from bootcamp. I was hoping someone had posted specs of a yugo case... or a nice home built. If not, then not.
Or you can try this:

Klicken Sie auf der Internet hier -----> http://www.mg34transitchest.com/
Starvingboy

Post by Starvingboy »

Thanks for the link. If nothing else, that will get him off my back. $425 for a box to put it in? Wow!
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

The pine one is 175,and by the amount of work in the description,that is a fair price.or you could always use it for ideas and make your own.The one pictured above is real nice,but be careful opening it! :shock: The crate my 42 came in was made of cardboard,said USPS on the side.I am not sure what that means in German! :lol: I would be willing to sell it cheap,though. ---bil PS-some of the pictures went away for ever-if you posted them or saved them,they can be re-inserted in the proper place by one of the mods,I will do it if you repost the pics.
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Don't mind Bil.. He has a singular wit. :roll:

He's also pretty much a fixture here, and we are all used to him now.

Image<--- Bil... don't let this happen to you again.

Making gun crates is not all that hard if you know how to use a table saw, a ruler and pencil, Elmer's glue and some sheetrock screws. Here's a few examples. Myself and others can offer some details and tricks on how to make creating one easier, but once you start making one, you can pretty much figure it out. The inside parts are just glued in place, some with felt pieces at the contact points. The hinges and clasp hardware you get at... well, the HARDWARE store. Buy a $12.00 can of Zissner Amber Shellac and brush two coats of it on the outside when you're done. Spray painting a black image with a stencil before you cover it with a layer of shellac is optional, but you get coolness points for it. There's a sticky around here that goes into more detail on how to make the MP-44 crate...

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg22 ... 4crate.jpg

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg22 ... crate2.jpg

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg22 ... Crate2.jpg

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg22 ... 5case6.jpg

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg22 ... 5case7.jpg

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg22 ... 5case8.jpg
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury
Starvingboy

Post by Starvingboy »

Nice case pictures! I hope whatever I/we end up with is of similar quality. :photos:

Everyone seems hell bent on making fun of me for asking for what does not exist. I'm just trying to get some specs is all. :cross:
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

It isn't meant personally,it is just that we went through it a while ago,and you are getting the brunt of our sort-of humor! :D Actually,most of us are fairly helpful,and we welcome you to the site,I hope you stick around.As for the stencil,I think there was a sort of stencil download here,it may be the one by DA.Good luck with the box,and again,no foul meant. ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Bil's right. We joke around a lot here. You'll figure that out after hanging around a bit, and take a few shot of your own after a while. This is one of the most fun gun forums on the web.
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury
oakrodent
Oberst
Oberst

Post by oakrodent »

They are a bunch of nice guys who like to joke around. But their all gun kit hoarder ! ! Every one of them ! !

Evil ..... Evil ..... Evil ..... Evil ..... Evil ..... Evil ..... Evil ..... Evil .....

By the way. Nice transit case. I hate working with wood, but I have to build some for my toys. I hope they look half as good as your. TO bad I can't use steel.
Spell check is down and I'm too lazy to get the dictionary
Starvingboy

Post by Starvingboy »

Meh, no worries. I'm a 1919 guy myself, but the locals are on a MG42 tear, so I'm going along for the ride. Unfortunately, I'm the research guy, so they look to me to figure out all the details. Like building a transit case that never existed for a gun that none of us have yet.
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

oakrodent wrote:They are a bunch of nice guys who like to joke around. But their all gun kit hoarder ! ! Every one of them ! !

Evil ..... Evil ..... Evil ..... Evil ..... Evil ..... Evil ..... Evil ..... Evil .....

By the way. Nice transit case. I hate working with wood, but I have to build some for my toys. I hope they look half as good as your. TO bad I can't use steel.

I don't have ANY gun kits! I'm at the bottom of the hoarder's list. Now BIL on the other hand . .. :roll:
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury
resting
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel

Post by resting »

You might check out www.browningmgs.com. He has a howto on a 1919a4 transit case that could easily be adapted to an mg42. Just measure the length of your gun and adjust accordingly. Think I'd take off the buttstock to do it.
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

BRP has a nice MG-42 transit chest at the bottom of this webpage:
http://www.brpguns.com/mg42semi.htm
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury
rocco1911

Post by rocco1911 »

Did someone mention hoarding parts kits ....??? :shock: I cant believe there talk of such a thing....lol :lol: