Whats it worth...

Anything MG42 related.
schuft

Whats it worth...

Post by schuft »

Guys,
I hate posting whats it worth subjects but... I need to get rid of my MG42 parts kit. It is a WW2 reciever, all welded togather (nice welds too)rails installed and the FA bolt lockout pin welded in. I have a WW2 8mm topcover(nice stampings) and a .308 topcover, and 1 ww2 8mm and 1 .308 feedtray. The bolt is an early version of Pirates mod, the grip is also an early Pirate mod. I have two barrels for it, 1 8mm and 1 .308. Also included is the rest of the parts kit, this kit is one of the earlier ones from Dan Angola. Nice kit. Also incuded is 3 50 round basket drums and 1 carrier (WW2) painted apple green. So if you experts can put a price on this I'd be obliged. Thanks
CRUSADER
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Re: Whats it worth...

Post by CRUSADER »

Can you post some good photos of everything?

If you decide to break your collection up, I might be interested in the drums, carrier, belts and barrels....
EnfieldEd

Post by EnfieldEd »

I know I am second in line but I would take the drums (or just 1) and some belts.

Thanks,

Ed
flemgunner
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by flemgunner »

I saw a reweld MG42 at knob creek for 5k but it didnt come with anything. Hope that helps
Blanksguy
General
General

Post by Blanksguy »

Prices..........

I believe that a kit like this just sold on a GunBroker Auction 1-2 days ago.......4-cut receiver tac-welded, two barrels (.308 and 8x57mm), two top-covers (.308 and 8x57mm WWII) semi-bolt and extra parts....came with welding-fixture.

Aution went for $1,076 if I remember correct (by GDMoore-??)

Regards, RichardS in MI.
Blanksguy2001@chartermi.net
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

Our own GD Moore??? I thought I remember him saying he had enough of these! :lol: That is a good deal,the prices seem to be dropping some,1200-1500 was the norm for quite a while! ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
www.Prussia.us
General
General

Post by www.Prussia.us »

BIL I think you would win the Showcase Showdown on "The Price is Right" with those numbers. Maybe we can get you one of Barker's beauties :D

A year and a half ago your German kit, welded correctly, with the semi-mods, on a good week could have brought you
well over $2K-$3K on GB, I saved some of those auctions' screen shots because I thought some day that would be a good deal, but what goes up must come down.

Prices have fallen on these, the good thing is that it is welded, the mods are done, it just needs some tinkering and maybe the ears welded on for attaching the gripstick, right?

You could try your luck on GB, I think you would be lucky at this point to get $1500, maybe, maybe, $1700 if you are willing to air it out for 5-8 weeks. Most gun stores in recent years have done their best in the spring, tax returns help. Finally depending in what kind of rush you are in, if any serious talk of another AWB gets moving prices will jump again, but only so much, credit is tight :? , 25 million Americans are out of work or under-employed :( , talk of a jobless recovery,etc :shock: .... Best of luck, while it sounds like a REALLY nice set up, I do not think the days of de-milled Mg42 parts kits selling for $1800-$2100 on Gb are going to come back anytime soon. Therefore finding the best price and where to sell it may be difficult, maybe Armsbid.com, they have a huge auction but their commission is high and without a reserve you might get boned :shock:
“… corporations have been enthroned, and an era of corruption in high places will follow, … until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.”

- Abraham Lincoln (Republican), Nov. 21, 1864
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

OUCH!!! :shock: We have seen prices cheap in the last few weeks,600 for on by Flemgunner was a new low price.Most have been around the 1200 to 1500 for a few years now,but GB has had some go for much more.I don't know if it was like that Barret-Jackson crazy money or what.Last year I got one for 900 and an almost identical one for 1500-averaged 1200.Sold what I thought was an extra for 1500,then did an impulse buy and got another for 1400.I think the 600 was a fluke,as the yugo parts kits are about 200 and lots less parts,also not real German.Yours would come in at the upper end with the work and mods you have,plus any extras.Although I love a bargain,I wouldn't undersell yourself,the real German guns are still the ones to hold the value for collectors.Good luck with the sale whichever way you go,and please let us know how you make out,if you don't mind.I am still tracking the prices on these.Thanks. ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
flemgunner
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by flemgunner »

To be honest with you Im not really sure of the worth somewhere around 2500 to 3500 would be my guess (unfinished like it is). Ill tell you this though, nice job on putting it together. If I had teh cash Id buy it Id like to have a semi to go with my FA
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

I would agree with the above.That is a nice job,and with the extras well worth it. ---bil
rocco1911

Post by rocco1911 »

I second that bil its a great buy at that amount and with all you have assembled... real German guns are getting scarce there is no comparison to what wiselite is selling... there is History in this one and therefore worth the extra funds to someone who knows the difference. I have quite a few of these and would not part with one of mine with the above extras for less than $2500.00 :photos:

I would like to see a clearer picure of the stock markings if ya can...
schuft

Post by schuft »

I dont have a good macro lens, the markings on the stock is "hvg 44"
Blanksguy
General
General

Post by Blanksguy »

Schuft,

What type of welding was used to put the receiver together (?).

Is it a working semi-only gun (?)....or does other work need to be finished other than the receiver outside-finish (?).

Regards, RichardS in MI.
PS: That other SA42 "Auction" that sold for $1,076 was listed at:
www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=142785753
gdmoore28
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by gdmoore28 »

Yep, that was my last, and cherised kit. I have some medical bills that are eating me alive, and have to be paid. It was an all-German kit with both 308/8mm components, AND all the semi components ready for installation from Thompson Machine. I had over $2000 in that kit and it brought only a little over $1000. :puk: :puk: :puk: :puk: :puk: Yep, I got toasted. I fully expected that the kit would bring at least $1800 -- considering that only months before I had sold my Yugo kits for around $1200 each with no conversion parts!

I had a terrible feeling that things weren't going to go well when, perusing the GunBroker.com listings, I saw that out of ALL the lisings in MG42, only my kit and one other even had bids!!!!

This economy is disintegrating before our eyes. Go to ebay and check out the sales. Thousands of once-popular items don't even get bids anymore. (I browse mostly the German WWII sections and the musical instruments sections, and the story is SAD....)

I have a number of friends in the used auto business, and they are dropping out of the profession like fleas. People are understandably frightened to part with money in this wretched economy. But, the bargains are out there for those who have the cash to snatch them up. Just as the nice fellow who bought my kit. :( :( :( :(

Garry
Blanksguy wrote:Prices..........

I believe that a kit like this just sold on a GunBroker Auction 1-2 days ago.......4-cut receiver tac-welded, two barrels (.308 and 8x57mm), two top-covers (.308 and 8x57mm WWII) semi-bolt and extra parts....came with welding-fixture.

Aution went for $1,076 if I remember correct (by GDMoore-??)

Regards, RichardS in MI.
schuft

Post by schuft »

Yes this news is disheartening. I'll prolly just hang onto it, I'm not going to let it go cheap. Thanks for the info guys.