Waffenamt Variations

Anything MG42 related.
dartit
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Waffenamt Variations

Post by dartit »

I didn't know which index to post this, but I am trying to learn about the different waffenamt variations. Does anyone know of a web site that shows pics of the different waffenamt variations- especially the earlier ones? German Universal Machineguns, Folke Myrvang has some pics on page 393; however, that's for the belts and not the earlier ones.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Re: Waffenamt Variations

Post by Bil »

There is a book -I think in German and English-that is a compendium of research into WaffenAmpts.I have seen exerpts from it,it looks good and expensive,but less than $100.Not so expensive if it saves you some money.I will try to find it,I saw it on another site,perhaps Axis History Forum. ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
Panzercanuck

Post by Panzercanuck »

Hi Dartit,
There is a book on Waffenamts but not exactly what you were asking .Just the codes themselves with name of the company and location.Sorry buddy that's all I can do for you Jbaum from this forum sells this book at germanmanuals.com

German /English 506 pgs around $60.00

Good luck
Panzercanuck
Attachments
Codebook2.JPG
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by JBaum »

I don't sell the above book. I do have it listed on my website as being a recommended and informative book.

Michael Heidler sells it. His email address is GGBuch@web.de
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Ok, this is a start buttttt... I'm sure there are a few more books out there. I know that the book "Backbone of the Wehmacht - the German K98 Rifle" book has more listings and photo's of different marks. I'm out of town (yes, and mind) but I'm hoping to start posting a few marks that I'm taking photo's of next week.

Lets all take a look at a few of the books that we have, and share a few idea's... PLEASE...

I keep looking at Brian's BRP website and seeing his listings of: well this is a first type, this is different,,,,etc

Where is this info coming from... School of hard knocks??? or ????

I've reviewed Jbraum's translated MG42 German books and the mg34 mg42 Myrvang book and backbone book,, Also Michael Heidler book helps out a lot also..

AND still looking for more info...

Any ideas on where this info is????

Enjoy Thanksgiving....

Later 42rocker
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

Well, for Lugers, it would be "World of Lugers" by Sam Costanzo. That book has 170 pages of WW1 and WW2 proofs (from letters with crowns on them, to all the variations of eagles that are on Lugers).

Great book, printed in 1977, expect to pay over $250 for a copy.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
ChrisPCook
Oberst
Oberst

Post by ChrisPCook »

Also a fair amount of proofs in any Jan Still's Books, Axis Pistols, Imperial Lugers, Third Reich Lugers, etc. Chris.... Goggle as well, there are some handy pages on the net w/ info.
bergflak
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by bergflak »

dartit wrote:I didn't know which index to post this, but I am trying to learn about the different waffenamt variations. Does anyone know of a web site that shows pics of the different waffenamt variations- especially the earlier ones? German Universal Machineguns, Folke Myrvang has some pics on page 393; however, that's for the belts and not the earlier ones.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Well, first of all, we must define what the "Waffen Amt Abzeichen" really was. The books today all cover the WaA's pertinent for the specific item(s) the book is describing. So far no one (to my knowledge) have written a complete book about the subject as such. The WaA is NOT a manufacturers code, it is a "Inspected & approved by ...." stamp. The WaA inspectors had a assigned number and covered geographical areas. The same number was in some instances used on different items from different manufacturers, while other large producer's WaA only seems to appear on their items. It also appears to have been a time-zone thing. Mauser Oberndorf is a good example with WaA63-WaA655-WaA135.
The WaA can with fair accuracy in some instances be used to determine who the manufacturer is. WaA135 marked parts without a code is Mauser Oberndorf made.
A MG-belt is marked "B 4-39 WaA624". The "B" is clearly a makers initial, but which one? Checking coded and WaA'ted belts or starter tabs will give the answer. A Einführstück with the code "dwc" has the same WaA number. "dwc" is the code for "Boehme & Co, Werksleitung Lüdenscheid, Werk Minden." It is fairly safe to asume that "B" is the Bohme company!
Apart from this, the WaA has a thousand appearences. It can have a letter prefix, like "WaAB22" , it can have a Weimar eagle, a standard eagle, a "stick eagle" and so forth. These differences might tell us what part of the war the item was made, but not always. It can have the "WaA", but it can also be just the inspector number.
And then there is of course the LW and SS variations.
So far, no definitive list exists. There is a small attempt available on the net that I guess most have seen, but I am sure any German WW2 collector could tripple that list just by cataloguing his own collection in a night! Problem is still that the only thing we learn is what inspector number was assigned to which factory and at best in which time-frame!
Mit freundlichen Grüße

Bergflak
www.bergflak.com
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

I have always wondered how they could stamp some of the smaller and more fragile parts so clearly without damaging the parts themselves.Some of the pieces stamped are pretty small. ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
bergflak
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by bergflak »

I have always wondered why they stamped some of the smaller and more fragile parts at all...........
Mit freundlichen Grüße

Bergflak
www.bergflak.com
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

Because they are German!!! :lol: ---bil
dartit
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Post by dartit »

Thanks for everyone's input. This sounds like a good book idea for John, Germanmanuals.com. I think it would be neat seeing all the waffenamt variations with the history behind them.