M53 history

Anything MG42 related.
mgfun
Oberleutnant
Oberleutnant

M53 history

Post by mgfun »

There has been a lot of interest in and effort made to track down the general history of MG42s. I know their historical significance drive this, as the period was pivotal.

These days there are a lot of M53s out there and although they are of minor importance, some have gone through a real shooting war and I was wondering if anyonehas tried or even could find out more about where these guns went, who had them and when. I notice that a lot of the weapons out of yugo acquired there own personized markings, so this subject peaks my curiosity.

Since the Yugo states never reached the depth of chaos that followed WWII, you would think there is a lot of info out there. Of course, since it wasn't too long ago, it might be impossible to get access to the info.

Has anyone tried?

Regards,
mgfun
mgfun
Sledge303

Re: M53 history

Post by Sledge303 »

Zastava has a "History" page on their web site.
If contacted they may provide additional information.
http://www.zastava-arms.co.rs/cms/index.php?id=321

I also read the M53 SARAC info on the "JANES" web site.
They actually mention the semi-auto production guns.
352pi

Post by 352pi »

two of the guys at work are from the former yugoslava both were in the armys one croatia one serbian they tell me stories all the time . One of them was infantry one was a commo guy.the one guy remembers training with the m53 , its funny he allways calls it a mg42.
Sledge303

Post by Sledge303 »

When Yugoslavia adopted the PKM and new rifles they offered all their Thompsons, MG34's, MG42's, M1919's, M2's and M53's on the world market. The majority of those guns came here as parts kits.
I have had in my hands kits for the MG34, M1919, MG42, M53, M2 and Thompson that all had Yugo arsenal markings. Some had stock carvings, etc. Now there are restrictions on what can come out of most of the countries in that area.
An outfit here in Colorado also had US WWII tanks that came from Yugoslavia.
They (Yugoslavia) also had US M1 rifles prior to the adoption of the SKS and AK, but I don't know what ever happened to those. We have seen plenty of "conflict" AK's from Serbia/Croatia/Yugoslavia. I am sure those will be traded here for a while yet.
dwmmg08
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by dwmmg08 »

I have heard that from other eastern block or German vets before, no matter what the proper designation is for the gun, it's always seemingly called an MG42! The legend will never die..... :bnija:
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Hi!
Sledge303 i can tell you what happend with the m70 "kalašnikovs" and PAP or sks rifles, here in Slovenija, after the war 1991 they melted the guns a lot of them or built some monuments, the rest of these guns were sendt to avganistan, after the purcase the FN2000.

Spartan from Slovenia :welcome: