Reenactment Photos

Intruder196
Major
Major

Re: Reenactment Photos

Post by Intruder196 »

dwmmg08 wrote:I have to say WWI re-enacting has it over all the others for coolness factor....

Been there, done that. What unit are you with? I used to run with IR459, then gave IR63 a shot.
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by DARIVS ARCHITECTVS »

It's a shame WWI reenactors are in single digits as far as numbers go in MN. My neighbor does Imperial German, but he has NEVER been to any events... because there aren't any.
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury
Intruder196
Major
Major

Post by Intruder196 »

DARIVS ARCHITECTVS wrote:It's a shame WWI reenactors are in single digits as far as numbers go in MN. My neighbor does Imperial German, but he has NEVER been to any events... because there aren't any.
There arent any near where I live either. I attended GWA events at their site in Newville, PA. I have since left both groups I was associated with, not due to personality conflicts or the tactical events. The first group I ran with were a batch of bunker queens. Their sole focus was their bunker. All their efforts were geared towards the bunker. The tactical portion of the event? They wouldnt come out of their bunker long enough to participate. In fact one of the last times I went to an event with that group, one of their guys was newly promoted to a squad leader position and decided to get so drunk that he spent all day Saturday tossing chunks and got so dehydrated that they took him to the hospital. The rest of them returned to the bunker after the Saturday morning safety briefing and stripped off all field gear and continued drinking leaving those of us who werent drinking to wander into the trenches leaderless to participate in the tactical as best as we could.
The second unit I gave a try out with was the extreme opposite. They not only obsessed over their bunker, but spent considerable effort to "improve" their trench positions to make them impenetrable. The end result of this is, nobody leaves the line, so there is no loitering about in the bunker, but nobody attacks their position either because the opposite side cant get through so they dont bother. So very little action occurs in their sector of the Newville trench system.
I would be interested in doing WW1 again, but I have yet to find a balanced unit.
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by DARIVS ARCHITECTVS »

Intruder196 wrote:
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS wrote:It's a shame WWI reenactors are in single digits as far as numbers go in MN. My neighbor does Imperial German, but he has NEVER been to any events... because there aren't any.
There arent any near where I live either. I attended GWA events at their site in Newville, PA. I have since left both groups I was associated with, not due to personality conflicts or the tactical events. The first group I ran with were a batch of bunker queens. Their sole focus was their bunker. All their efforts were geared towards the bunker. The tactical portion of the event? They wouldnt come out of their bunker long enough to participate. In fact one of the last times I went to an event with that group, one of their guys was newly promoted to a squad leader position and decided to get so drunk that he spent all day Saturday tossing chunks and got so dehydrated that they took him to the hospital. The rest of them returned to the bunker after the Saturday morning safety briefing and stripped off all field gear and continued drinking leaving those of us who werent drinking to wander into the trenches leaderless to participate in the tactical as best as we could.
The second unit I gave a try out with was the extreme opposite. They not only obsessed over their bunker, but spent considerable effort to "improve" their trench positions to make them impenetrable. The end result of this is, nobody leaves the line, so there is no loitering about in the bunker, but nobody attacks their position either because the opposite side cant get through so they dont bother. So very little action occurs in their sector of the Newville trench system.
I would be interested in doing WW1 again, but I have yet to find a balanced unit.
Driving your incapacitated buddy to the hospital. Fun times. That's what reenacting is all about. Hell, you could do that at home without spending thousands on militaria. Dood, you really need to find yourself a better group. As for the impenetrable trench area... get some airplanes. And if they don't take their hits, try using real bombs made with teargas canisters. See if they REALLY know how to don a gasmask! :rolling:
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury
Intruder196
Major
Major

Post by Intruder196 »

Funny you should mention airplanes. There are a few replica biplanes at the event that buzz the German trenches and drop simulated "bombs" which are just small bags of baking soda. But it was something to watch out for.
fourfifths1911

Post by fourfifths1911 »

i would like to do ww1 german but i would like to try a few units out to find the "right" one for me