.....where the 'Iron Crosses' grow!

junglewalk
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

.....where the 'Iron Crosses' grow!

Post by junglewalk »

This an account of the trench fighting(re-enactment) at Marion, Kentucky back in January; It might give a picture to readers of a typical Eastern front battle there:

".....Where the Iron Crosses Grow"!
« Thread Started on Jan 14, 2008, 9:24am »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
.....any self-assured and confident german unit, that has it's members centered within a reasonable drive to the north-western part of Kentucky, must try its metal in the fires of the trenches of the Russian Front near Marion Ky.
On 12 Jan(Sat) german troops moved into prepared trench positions, which were further worked on the night before. We were welcomed by russian mortar fire, once we broke thru a soviet ambush as we approached our own front lines. New-comers to the Eastern front quickly learned a full magazine, and round in the chamber at all times, is a necessity for survival.
Russian attacks were incessant, and some were pushed thru our fortifications with fanatical determination. Heavy rifle, machine gun fire and grenades were continuous, and it was easy to see our positions were made for the lafette tri-pod for the mg-34/42.
I was amazed to see that by noon, our positions were taking on a lived-in look, as though we were there for weeks!..Pots and pans, food lying about, cooking going on, spare clothing, tools, ammunition, grenades, and ammo boxes everywhere.....I noted that on a successful trench raid on the russian positions, that their enplacements looked like ours; as a matter of fact, I was tempted to remove a large pot of boiling beans that they had left on a fire in one of their dug-out/fighting positions!
Attacks and counter-attacks took place all day long. We initially moved in with all our gear when we went into our trench positions, and there shed some of our heavier gear in our emplacements, and operated out of our trenches, using it as our base of operation. (as you know, most battles are so mobile with moving over a broad area, with no return to where you begin). This allowed both sides to make the extra effort of carrying heavier items like tripods, mortars, more ammo, food, and grenades into position, and work from there all day long.
I lugged a mg-34 in three attacks on the russian trenches, and what intense engagements they turned out to be. This time, the weather was perfect, but that aided little in traversing the the rough hilly and wooded terrain. By God it seemed like the russians were everywhere!...******
I can not remember how many russian attacks we fended off, but I insured a full belt of ammo was in the 34 at all times! ....> In these attacks, it seemed to be a wall of russian brown surging at our trenches with great determination. There were rubber trench knives everywhere, and i swear I saw a rubber entrenching tool come down on a german helmet when they were almost on top of us! There was so much hand to hand happening, that my asistant gunner held his rubber trench knife in one hand, and the mg-34's ammo-belt in the other, just in case a russkie flew at us. (like Don King!)
I must tell you guys, you have got to be in some sort of decent physicial shape for this Eastern front place......No dressed up pretty parade sodiers need come. You will spend much of your time on your knees, crawling around, behind your gun, preparing/improving your positions, trying to eat something between fights. Listening, probing and attacking the enemy! The russian trenches have barbed wire obstacles to overcome, and you do your best to blend into the country-side.
.....there, is where you will earn the East Front medal, and where the 'Iron Crosses grow'.(bh,10thKp, 'GD')
« Last Edit: Jan 14, 2008, 10:14pm by junglewalk » Link to Post - Back to Top Logged
Beautiful women are like well built machineguns: Some should just be looked at, and left alone, while others were built to get hot.
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Anti-spam: Mg42

Re: .....where the 'Iron Crosses' grow!

Post by DARIVS ARCHITECTVS »

Wow, JW...

Most of MY dreams just have sexy naked women trying to please me.... I'm really missing out. :lol:
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury
junglewalk
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by junglewalk »

On the Western front, we were set up in the town of Wasserstadt (tn), here I'm with my 34 behind the sandbags, in defence.

Beautiful women are like well built machineguns: Some should just be looked at, and left alone, while others were built to get hot.
junglewalk
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by junglewalk »

At the 60th Anniversary of the Patton Museum Battle in May 09...... This was to be the last big public re-enactment battle as we knew it all these years;
Here I am desperately placing the AA spider sight on my 34 waitin for the P-51 Mustangs to come in!

FKpt.Fritz
Major
Major

Post by FKpt.Fritz »

our leader just got a new truck.... going to be a good time. to bad Marion is in the middle of nowhereland.

More Marion Picts.
12thWaffenSS

Post by 12thWaffenSS »

Very Nice.

Do you or your group ever attend the Rockford, Illinois event? I thought that was the biggest re-enacting event in the midwest.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Thanks. Great pictures. Would not mind seeing more......Rupert
junglewalk
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by junglewalk »

Hey 12thSS; the Rockford event is a public one. We are not much on public btls, but go mostly to closed tactical events, where we fight it out .......

Rupert; visit our Kompanie site, and there are more pics there;
http://10grossdeutschland.proboards.com/index.cgi