who's going to fig

fourfifths1911

who's going to fig

Post by fourfifths1911 »

who is attending fig 1 in january we should all get together and have a bs round table in one of the barraks
12thWaffenSS

Re: who's going to fig

Post by 12thWaffenSS »

fourfifths1911 wrote:who is attending fig 1 in january we should all get together and have a bs round table in one of the barraks
Not I said the fly. Perhaps next year. I'd love to go though.
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by DARIVS ARCHITECTVS »

fourfifths1911 wrote:who is attending fig 1 in january we should all get together and have a bs round table in one of the barraks
Nicht ich. Der Kampfgestank!
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury
Panzercanuck

Post by Panzercanuck »

I am not going this year due to my Mom's bad health but if you guys are going next year I shall be there.I would like to meet you all.
Panzercanuck
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

OK, what is fig?
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
Sd.kfz.173
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by Sd.kfz.173 »

Same question...What is fig?

Bill :read:
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

AHAH!

29 -31 JAN: 65th Battle of the Bulge. Ft. Indiantown Gap, PA (reenactment)
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

jbaum wrote:AHAH!

29 -31 JAN: 65th Battle of the Bulge. Ft. Indiantown Gap, PA (reenactment)
JBaum's got it...

Go there to buy stuff because the shopping is awesome. However, the battle event is the WORST organized thing you shall ever witness. Believe it.
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury
railsplitter

Post by railsplitter »

Alas, you can freeze your butt off just like the real thing :oops: (no frozen smilies)
Intruder196
Major
Major

Post by Intruder196 »

The battles there arent that bad as a whole. When they get "bad" is when they try to have everyone in the same area for one big mass battle rather than small unit action. What always happens in the mass battle is the GI reenactors advance one big wave, become more invincible, dont take cover, dont take hits, and fire their garands like there is no tomorrow. It seems that the more GI reenactors there are in the same spot the higher the "bullet proof" factor. The big mass battle ends up being a big waste of ammo. I usually take a hit and save the ammo for another day in those situations.
fourfifths1911

Post by fourfifths1911 »

i 2nd that intruder
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Intruder196 wrote:The battles there arent that bad as a whole. When they get "bad" is when they try to have everyone in the same area for one big mass battle rather than small unit action. What always happens in the mass battle is the GI reenactors advance one big wave, become more invincible, dont take cover, dont take hits, and fire their garands like there is no tomorrow. It seems that the more GI reenactors there are in the same spot the higher the "bullet proof" factor. The big mass battle ends up being a big waste of ammo. I usually take a hit and save the ammo for another day in those situations.

And you don't call that a cluster-fukk: When was there we froze in the wilderness for 6 hours before the Allies even showed up on both days. Our squad humped an MG-34 and all the supporting ammo to the top of the bluff where we were told to join up with a Luftwaffe unit that we later found out was 1/8 mile BEYOND the town (Allied objective). So we were ordered to hump all the way back down into the valley. Still the Allies were a no show. When they finally showed up, all 700 of them were marching down the road behind three trucks in one huge clump toward the town, and out 1/2 mile long skirmish line was about to open up and eat their lunch when this GI Major comes out and says that the "Germans had declared a cease fire for the next half hour". We watched the whole column of enemy forces walk past us TOWARD THEIR OBJECTIVE and without ANYONE firing a shot. Remember: this is the SECOND day with not ONE SHOT FIRED. FINALLY some flanking GI's who were sick of all this inaction opened fire, and IT WAS ON! GI's mixed with Germans at hand-to-hand range all opened fire. Chaos reigned. We had to disengage to reform. The whole battle was a huge mess.
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury
CRUSADER
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by CRUSADER »

I like the barracks there ... so nice & cozy.
:puk:

The only reason to go is to hit the flea market .... and the Zapfenreich...but even that's not gonna happen any more...GI's are frackin PC crybabies.
Intruder196
Major
Major

Post by Intruder196 »

DARIVS ARCHITECTVS wrote:
Intruder196 wrote:The battles there arent that bad as a whole. When they get "bad" is when they try to have everyone in the same area for one big mass battle rather than small unit action. What always happens in the mass battle is the GI reenactors advance one big wave, become more invincible, dont take cover, dont take hits, and fire their garands like there is no tomorrow. It seems that the more GI reenactors there are in the same spot the higher the "bullet proof" factor. The big mass battle ends up being a big waste of ammo. I usually take a hit and save the ammo for another day in those situations.

And you don't call that a cluster-fukk: When was there we froze in the wilderness for 6 hours before the Allies even showed up on both days. Our squad humped an MG-34 and all the supporting ammo to the top of the bluff where we were told to join up with a Luftwaffe unit that we later found out was 1/8 mile BEYOND the town (Allied objective). So we were ordered to hump all the way back down into the valley. Still the Allies were a no show. When they finally showed up, all 700 of them were marching down the road behind three trucks in one huge clump toward the town, and out 1/2 mile long skirmish line was about to open up and eat their lunch when this GI Major comes out and says that the "Germans had declared a cease fire for the next half hour". We watched the whole column of enemy forces walk past us TOWARD THEIR OBJECTIVE and without ANYONE firing a shot. Remember: this is the SECOND day with not ONE SHOT FIRED. FINALLY some flanking GI's who were sick of all this inaction opened fire, and IT WAS ON! GI's mixed with Germans at hand-to-hand range all opened fire. Chaos reigned. We had to disengage to reform. The whole battle was a huge mess.

Yeah, I call that a huge mess. But sometimes there are smalll unit engagements that really make the event. I have two instances that really made my day. Once my unit discovered a long shallow depression with a fallen tree lengthwise in the depression. Most of the guys took cover in the depression behind the dead tree while I covered the right flank with a G43 and another guy covered the left with a MP40. There was snow on the ground and along comes a unit of GI's moving perpendicular to the depression. Their point man walked right up to the depression and everybody inside opened fire. He goes down. But his buddies have no clue where the fire is coming from and another Gi lumbers forward along the same path in the deep snow his fallen buddy just took. He too gets taken out once he exposes himself to the guys in the depression. A third GI tries to move forward, this time blazing a new path thru the knee deep snow. But he also gets shot up when he gets near the shallow hole in the ground. Finally the rest of the GI's figure out where the shots are coming from even though they cant see into the hole. So two of them try to make a run for the right flank. But they run right in front of me and I open fire and take both of them out. The rest decide to move back and disengage.

Another time at FIG, my group was detailed to do some recon at the very start of the event by the overall German commander. We were to move forward to the main road and observe where the GI's were moving and report back without engaging them or allowing ourselves to be spotted. We came across the main force moving along a hardtop road, but then a large group of them turned off that road and began to move down the road we had taken to spy on them. Apparently this was not part of the scenario. and we sprinted back to report what we had seen. Since the Gi's broke scenario and were attempting to flank the whole German force, the German commander positioned some German units, including us, to counter the move. We traded fire with them but they didnt seem interested in trying to overrun us and moved past us on our right. A unit of Brit paras moved past us on our left between us and a pond that bordered our left flank. About 10 minutes later we decided to pull back and moved along the route the Brit unit had taken and when we found them they had bumped into a group of Gebirgs and had taken cover. They saw us moving in behind them but none of them turned to fire at us. We wiped them out. They then told us that they saw "guys wearing green" (us) coming in behind them and assumed we were their Allies. They were idiots for not being able to recognize Feldgrau.

FIG can have it's moments like alot of other events.
FKpt.Fritz
Major
Major

Post by FKpt.Fritz »

every reenactment i have been to lately has kind of sucked. i may be getting out of the whole scene for awhile.
oakrodent
Oberst
Oberst

Post by oakrodent »

I will be there. The bullet proof GIs are really aggravating. But my MG-13 is ready for them!
Spell check is down and I'm too lazy to get the dictionary
fourfifths1911

Post by fourfifths1911 »

oakrodent come by for a cold one and we'll shoot the (Try a different word.).I'm goning up on tuesday after work
oakrodent
Oberst
Oberst

Post by oakrodent »

I was wondering is anyone is bringing their Wise Lite M-53 to the event. I would like to take some nice comparison pics of it and the MG-42 I will be bringing one of my MG-42s
MP44
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by MP44 »

I've never been there before but would like to go this year. Since I've never been there, when would be the best time/day to get there? I will not be participating in the reenactment but would like to go for the flea market/shopping part of it.
oakrodent
Oberst
Oberst

Post by oakrodent »

I have no idea. I will first be showing up Friday afternoon