new old helmet

Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

new old helmet

Post by Bil »

Just got this yesterday,but missed out on some other neat stuff that was with it.there is more in the stash,just waiting for the guy to need money again! :lol: ---bil
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
flemgunner
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Re: new old helmet

Post by flemgunner »

Nice man
DougF

Post by DougF »

WOW!!!!! I'm jealous as hell. Beautiful.
oakrodent
Oberst
Oberst

Post by oakrodent »

Bill, It looks like a fake to me. I will give you $20 for it.

Nice Find! Congrats!
Spell check is down and I'm too lazy to get the dictionary
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

Twenty bucks! Thats more than I paid! :lol: It actually was a karma item.A friend,Jack,is an old biker,stops in the shop once in a while.A few years ago he got cancer,and was having trouble with his treatments,working,and paying his insurance so he could keep getting treated.He started showing up with stuff to sell,and between my friend Stan and I ,we bought it all.Most of it got thrown away after he left,or stashed away in hopes it would someday be worth something.But he finally showed up with the helmets,another friend bought them,but sold the pilot leather helmet,and gave this one to me!It is all original,I think.It has been in an attic since 1945.There was once a German uniform up there,but his mother threw it away after she cut off the buttons for something else! :shock: The insignia is still there somewhere.
I find lots of neat stuff that shows up at the shop.Last year I got a Tec 9,brand new,hard case,soft case,4 extra mags,and 200 rounds of ammo,for 400 bucks.Also several tyhousand rounds of Portuguese 8MM in cans for .25 each.Gold is where you find it! ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
oakrodent
Oberst
Oberst

Post by oakrodent »

I need a job like yours! Only thing I get is grief! still really nice helmet., sorry about your friend
Spell check is down and I'm too lazy to get the dictionary
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by DARIVS ARCHITECTVS »

Iz VERY Nice !
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Helmet's, well one of my clients tells the story of the time that he went to ad about German helmets. Well they could not come to terms on the nice ones that were up for sale, soooo.. They went to the garage (inclosed, with ac) to see his other collection of helmets.. He said that about every 12inches there was another shelf down the side of the garage. Each shelf was full with helmets in a row... Everyone of them with battle damage. Holes thru, parts of helmets. Some with human hair etc still on the inside.... That was the personal collection of the fellow. Of course that was about 20 years ago. I wonder what happened to it all...

Bil, thats a really nice new helmet.... Good Luck on getting the rest of the stuff as I'm sure that if you get it, it will have a nice home.....

Later 42rocker
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

A friend of mine was in the service,stationed in Crete,in the early 60s.They would go swimming off a small dock there,and there was an enormous pile of German equipment under the water,just getting rusty.He wasn't sure if the Germans dumped it,or the Allies later.There was another spot where there were hundreds of fallschirmjaeger helmets just dumped in the ocean,and you could still find some if you looked back in the hills.But it was a bit early for them to be collectors items,so....still there! ---bil
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by DARIVS ARCHITECTVS »

I'm happy with my repainted M40 helmet with the repro liner for $200.00. Untouched helmets are just too pricey and the liners too flimsy for reenactment use.
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

The leather is much too brittle to do anything with,someday I will get one of the repainted shells.This is neat because you can see the sweat marks inside,and the way the strap was worn over the brim,it is just as it was way back then.I have another,later helmet,without liner,and an old coal-scuttle helmet from WW I,with the 'horns' for the face shield. ---bil
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.