Adjusting Gurtfuller 41?

Tripods, ammo cans, gunners kit, etc.
dwmmg08
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Adjusting Gurtfuller 41?

Post by dwmmg08 »

Does anyone know how to adjust one of these? Mine seems to not quite seat the rounds deep enough in the belt, they are stopping just before the tab would go down into the extractor groove. It looks like it should be something easy I'm just missing due to a lack of knowledge. :(

Is there a manual for these things, by the way? :read:

Thanks in advance,

Glen
railsplitter

Re: Adjusting Gurtfuller 41?

Post by railsplitter »

I have the same issue - they're non adjustable :( - the caming rollers wear and it will not push the round all the way through the hopper. I have mine disassembled ready to have new rollers made.
amafrank
Major
Major

As Railsplitter noted, they are not adjustable....

Post by amafrank »

and the reason they won't push the rounds all the way into the belt is wear on the rollers, pins and slop in these parts. I've got a number of these that won't work for this reason. One of them was worked on and had the pushers welded up to a slightly longer length in an attempt to fix the problem. It now sticks on the belt because the pushers are too long. When I got this loader I tried cutting the pushers back to a length that would not hang up and its right back to the problem of not far enough. The only way to fix it is to rebush all the parts that have worn so that there is no slop in the system. I don't know if just making larger rollers will do the trick but look forward to hearing the answer when rs gets his done.

Frank
railsplitter

Post by railsplitter »

Experimenting with various bushing diameters now - the plate that the rollers push against is also worn - but IMO there is no issue with the pusher rods - they must clear the hopper and extend to just beyond it to work right. Anyone have a exploded view of one(Gurtfuller), or original dimensions. :? As I reassembled with new rollers the springs have me somewhat puzzled. :oops: Hopefully another update soon.
dwmmg08
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by dwmmg08 »

Any new info on this??? I'm very interested in this, perhaps so many of these just don't work because they're basically worn out?? I still believe that there is a manual for the gurtfuller 41 lurking out there..... and that these could somehow be adjusted to compensate for wear at the unit armorer level.. :read:
railsplitter

Post by railsplitter »

Here is where I believe the basic problem lies. As rollers depress two levers which push the rods that drive the rounds from the hopper into the belt, both the rollers and the levers wear. :( As needed you can improvise and replace the rollers with slightly larger diameters. The lever may also need some attention as well, as it has a visible burr. Still puzzling on how those springs go back :oops:
Attachments
new roller installed
new roller installed
replacement had from to bushings to get correct ID and OD
replacement had from to bushings to get correct ID and OD
Gurtfuller with roller removed
Gurtfuller with roller removed