Oakrodents build

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Oakrodents build

Post by Bil »

I wanted to comment on the BRP build tutorial being done by oakrodent,but didn't want to turn his tutorial into a comment/Q&A thread.Maybe we can do so here. This is one of the nicest tutorials I have seen in a while.Plenty of pictures and measurements,the pictures are marked to avoid confusion,pics are all captioned,and we see the order things are being done.Thank you,oakrodent,for this fine bit of work-I look forward to the rest! :D :D ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
Michael J

Re: Oakrodents build

Post by Michael J »

Not so much a question, i would just like to note that: :D, she is going to be real pretty when finished. Nice tutorial, it should be stickied.
oakrodent
Oberst
Oberst

Post by oakrodent »

Thanks guys.

I should have some really nice pics of one that is finished by the end of the week. Just waiting on my gun smith to call and tell me he is done bluing it. It fired very nicely when it was finished and before it was blued. I have 2 more waiting test firing and bluing. Maybe I can take them out next weekend for a good work out.
Spell check is down and I'm too lazy to get the dictionary
oakrodent
Oberst
Oberst

Post by oakrodent »

I am always open to suggestions and have no problems answering questions. I will have more posts on the build Tuesday night.
gdmoore28
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by gdmoore28 »

My kudos also. One of the best build tutorials we've had.

(I didn't want to interrupt the flow of the build, either! Glad you posted this, Bil!!)

GeeDeeEmm
" The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government . . . . When the people fear their government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

Oakrodent-have you done many builds like this? This is fantastic,I enjoy seeing the details and measurements.Excellant work! ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
oakrodent
Oberst
Oberst

Post by oakrodent »

Here is a pic of one of my first receivers I welded in the rails. Looks like it was riveted. That show the build I am doing now will turn out.
Attachments
MG42 Rec B2.JPG
Michael J

Post by Michael J »

Nice welds! I'm new to this whole welding buisness, and just started to learn oxy acetylene method. My teacher is suppose to be showing me TIG welding one of these days, so i can look forwards to that.

Just how did you get welds that look like rivets? Is that some master welding technique, or is it do-able by a newer person :lol: ?
oakrodent
Oberst
Oberst

Post by oakrodent »

I have built a few of them. The rivets are not some secret welding. The inside rivets are real rivets and the rivet heads on the outside are welded on with a stud gun. I will have some more steps tomorrow night. I installed the rails today. I should have the ratchet plate and charging handle done tomorrow and will post them also tomorrow.
oakrodent
Oberst
Oberst

Post by oakrodent »

Any comments about my build are welcomed. Also if you have any questions, please feel free to ask.
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

I admit I was a bit confused about the lack of rivets for the rails,and was wondering about the indentations on this receiver.Todays post and pics clear this up.Kudos on a real nice,precise build tutorial. ---bil
oakrodent
Oberst
Oberst

Post by oakrodent »

Well, I am running a little behind with my posts. Here is a pic of the current state of my build. It is all ready to take out to the range for a test firing. Won't be happening this weekend. Maybe next week.
Attachments
mg42.JPG
FMF

Post by FMF »

nice work , I am still debating weather to build my MG 42 or have it built for me , I have built 1919a4s and 1917a1s , every time I see yourphotos I am just tempted to do it Myself
oakrodent
Oberst
Oberst

Post by oakrodent »

I might have one for sale in the near future.
flemgunner
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by flemgunner »

Would it be possible to get some more pix of your grip? Just various angles of the weld mod. Also who's is it and where did you get the safety bar?
MGMike
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by MGMike »

Hi Oak.....

That's a nice, workmanlike bolt hold open design :D I'll use it on my build (s). Thanks.

MikeD
oakrodent
Oberst
Oberst

Post by oakrodent »

Nice to see somebody else from SD. That were I am originaly from.

Flemgunner: I will post more pics of a trigger frame later today. I bought it from BRP. Great price. I just sent him my old unmodified trigger set-up. I guess I am just lazy somedays. Plus his work is very nice.
oakrodent
Oberst
Oberst

Post by oakrodent »

I have to apologize for not posting for awhile. I am just really busy with the holidays. The next few posts are really involved and will take a while to edit all the pics. I hope to have some more posted in the next few days.

Happy Holidays,
oakrodent
Oberst
Oberst

Post by oakrodent »

Finally put up some more steps. I should be getting the rest done in the next few days. If it doesn't rain tomorrow I will be taking it out to test fire. Will let you all know how it went
oakrodent
Oberst
Oberst

Post by oakrodent »

Finally took it out on Sunday. Ran 200rnds threw it with no problems. Not even the first round. Now its time to strip it and sandblast it before it gets a phosphate finish.