AA Tripod Adapter for MG34

Anything MG34 related.
hkg3k
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter
Anti-spam: Mg42

AA Tripod Adapter for MG34

Post by hkg3k »

Looking for one of the I/O type tripod adapters for my MG34. I would prefer the I/O type because I use the tripod for other guns and a drop-in type would fill my needs best. I understand I/O is out.......anyone know of any other vendors for these? Thanks in advance.
Browning, Maxim, Vickers
Belt-Fed & Water-Cooled
Real Machineguns
rocco1911

Re: AA Tripod Adapter for MG34

Post by rocco1911 »

I'm trying to find one as well so I can copy it..... If ya find one please post up some pics or if a member out there has one Please post pics :?
hkg3k
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Post by hkg3k »

rocco1911 wrote:I'm trying to find one as well so I can copy it..... If ya find one please post up some pics or if a member out there has one Please post pics :?
Will do.....and please keep us informed regarding any success in copying and making a few.

Thanks
Browning, Maxim, Vickers
Belt-Fed & Water-Cooled
Real Machineguns
rocco1911

Post by rocco1911 »

Oh if I get my hands on one I'll make them available for sure & I'll keep all informed :cross:
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

I think I have one,not sure of the type.I will check when I get home,and if so,I will send it to Rocco for R&D. ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
rocco1911

Post by rocco1911 »

Sweet now were in business Thanks bill :wnana:
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

I won't be passing through tomorrow,Rocco-I got held over at the last minute,but only for a few days more! ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
avman
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel

Post by avman »

Would these work. I need to sell them. Seems like they would work.

http://mg42.us/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=8527
rocco1911

Post by rocco1911 »

Not sure these would work for the AA mount but I would like to see what the adapter for the ground tripod looks like that TNW sells 8)
rocco1911

Post by rocco1911 »

Bil wrote:I won't be passing through tomorrow,Rocco-I got held over at the last minute,but only for a few days more! ---bil

Ok let me know when your in the neighborhood :mrgreen:
Blanksguy
General
General

Post by Blanksguy »

Why don't you just machine one to look like the original MG-34 AA-Tripod adaptor (?)......as shown in the photo below.

The I.O. MG-34 adaptor rides too high and looks nothing like the WWII German MG-34 AA-Tripod Adaptor.

Regards, RichardS in MI.
Blanksguy2001@chartermi.net
PS: While we are on "reproduction" information......watch out for the many "reproduction" MG34 and MG42 AA-Tripods that are for sale on E-Bay-Germany.........some guys are going to get "stung".....but I keep putting the information out there. Basically, what they are doing is taking an MG3 AA-Tripod......and making slight modifications.
Attachments
000_0063 (17).jpg
hkg3k
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Post by hkg3k »

Blanksguy wrote:Why don't you just machine one to look like the original MG-34 AA-Tripod adaptor (?)......as shown in the photo below.

The I.O. MG-34 adaptor rides too high and looks nothing like the WWII German MG-34 AA-Tripod Adaptor.

Regards, RichardS in MI.
My preference for the I/O adapter (regardless of its lack of authenticity) has to do with its "drop in" configuration. I already shoot several different machine guns off the AA tripod and each has its own adapter that drops into the unaltered AA tripod pintle. Altering the AA tripod for the more authentic MG34 adapter would require a dedicated AA tripod.......and one more piece of gear I have to drag to the range when I go shooting.

Were it not for this aspect for me......your point is well taken and probably the avenue I'd pursue.
Browning, Maxim, Vickers
Belt-Fed & Water-Cooled
Real Machineguns
rocco1911

Post by rocco1911 »

I concur I want it for the same reason .... :?
Panzerschreck
Obergefreiter
Obergefreiter

Post by Panzerschreck »

I have a post war AA tripod on the way and confirmed Interordnance / Royal Tiger is still out of the 34 adapters for the 42 AA tripod. My primary interest is shooting, but originality never hurts, when possible.

IMA lists a vehicle mount and a early MG13 compatible AA head. http://www.ima-usa.com/index.php/cPath/14_212_66_232 Any idea if either of these would work with a postwar tripod?

Are there any other good products or solutions nowadays for this application?

Thanks for your help.
TactAdv
Major
Major

Post by TactAdv »

IMA lists a vehicle mount and a early MG13 compatible AA head. http://www.ima-usa.com/index.php/cPath/14_212_66_232 Any idea if either of these would work with a postwar tripod?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No way. Typical for IMA, that is misidentified. The head is from the Portuguese AA tripod that was mfgr'd from late '44 to about 1946. See picture here:

The Portuguese AA tripod are an entirely different animal as you can see. Also as you can see the tripod head must be used with its attendant own 'pod and mechanism, which is not to say you couldn't just make the tube to fit one either, but it will take crafting one up.

These Portuguese AA heads are nice though for other guns too as you can open the retaining clamps and clamp in the std aircraft mount lugs from an MG-15 barrel jacket and it works great as the Portuguese 'pods are MUCH heavier and more stable than the German originals because they have much wider footprint and leg out-rigging.
-Tom H.