mg34 bolt head disassembly - help

Anything MG34 related.
mgfun
Oberleutnant
Oberleutnant

mg34 bolt head disassembly - help

Post by mgfun »

ok, so I have this broken inner bolt roller and I got a new clip and roller. Still, I need to put in the parts. I've looked around some in the stickies, tutorials and questions, but no help.

I've followed the available info to this level shown in the attached picture from the stickies thread.
MG34_059.JPG
Great, I have an assembled bolt head. Now what? I know there must be a straight forward way to do this without starting to arbitrarily pushing out pins and watching springs fly or heaven forbid - breaking another part. I've also heard the clips are quite tricky to put into place.

Is there any help out there?

Regards,
mgfun
mgfun
tomcatshaas
General
General

Re: mg34 bolt head disassembly - help

Post by tomcatshaas »

so your question is "how to replace the bolt rollers"?
mgfun
Oberleutnant
Oberleutnant

Post by mgfun »

tomcatshaas,
Basically, yes. How to do it from the level shown in the picture?

Regards,
mgfun
mgfun
tomcatshaas
General
General

Post by tomcatshaas »

Ryan Shnee was selling a special tool that fit between the inner and outer rollers that would pop the outer roller off past the c-clip. But I don't see anything for sale anymore on his web site.

I did it once by accident.....And wish I never did. It was a pita getting that clip back into place. Sorry, I'm not much help.
mgfun
Oberleutnant
Oberleutnant

Post by mgfun »

tomscatshaas,

So your telling me that you don't actually try to get them apart from the inside of the bolt somehow (here my ignorance is really showing), but that they disassemble from the outside in by getting the outer roller to pop off the retaining ring?

I just assumed it was some kind of German puzzlebox where you pulled on tab A to release shaft B and the stuff landed in your hands.

I'm still pretty lost and would hate to start prying on the outer roller ...but I will if that's all anyone knows. I'd hate to wreck something.

Regards,
mgfun
mgfun
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

Boy,just when you think you are safe!No DA in sight,I was looking for a 34 bolt schematic on Google for mgfun,there was a picture of a 34 team,I clicked on it,and WHAMMO!!! :shock: :shock: :lol: That damn sound effect and DA's site opened up! My speakers were set loud,scared the crap out of me,I thought it was incoming! :? The guy can't tie his own shoe,but he can build a good site! Back to topic.I turned the speakers off and will keep looking. ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
tomcatshaas
General
General

Post by tomcatshaas »

mgfun
Oberleutnant
Oberleutnant

Post by mgfun »

tomcatshaas,
They were very good pictures. That will make a big difference in the effort. Looks truly like a pain, but at least I have a clue now. :wnana:

Thank you very much. Most tutorials stop at the basic bolt tear down and leave you with a few big sub assemblies.

Regards,
mgfun
mgfun
flemgunner
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by flemgunner »

Ive got the same problem. Anyone have any info on this? The site link is dead
stegger
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by stegger »

If I understood you correctly, you don't know , guys , how to remove the inner roller ? Maybe this will help ? :

You will need either to make such a device, or buy it. Otherwise you could damage somthing ...
... krieg kann man nicht spielen ...
Mg34gunner
Stabsunteroffizier
Stabsunteroffizier

Post by Mg34gunner »

You are making this way too complicated.
The outer roller is held on by an internal snap ring. There are grooves cut in the shaft and also on the inside of the outer roller.

All you have to do is pry the outer roller off with a blade. Not much force is needed, just finagle it a bit. God knows how many of these I've changed over the years with no drama.

The inner rollers can and do crack, get peened, etc. They take a great deal of abuse. They are also easy to change.

Mind though to keep control of the little snap ring when you pop the outer roller off though.