WiseLite M53 troubles

Anything MG42 related.
Feldkoch

WiseLite M53 troubles

Post by Feldkoch »

Hi! New to the forum. I wish I'd found it before I purchased my WiseLite M53 semi-auto. Hope somebody can help.
First, I am pretty new to this, so please nbear with the stupid questions.
A. When I removed the barrel, I found it would not go back in, as it looks to be hitting what I believe to be the recupeartor? It hits it square on the flat surface.
They evidently got it in at WiseLite, but the thing will not go back out of the way! :(
Is there a way to adjust this or some other remedy?
B. When I went to mount it on my MG42 Lafette, it wouldn't fit...finally figured out (I think) that the wider trigger guard was not fitting in the Lafette part that fires the trigger (sorry...ignorant on the parts names!) Has anyone else had this trouble? My M53 dummy gun has a smaller trigger guard and fits fine. I hate to butcher the Lafatte but am pen to anything!
I called WiseLite and of course they're gone til Monday. How are they about standing behind these guns? I've ready some pretty scary stuff here, along with some pretty good.
Thanks in advance for the help!
Scott
der Feldkoch
noonxnoon

Re: WiseLite M53 troubles

Post by noonxnoon »

Well,

I'll share some thoughts as a fellow WLA owner...

Item A:
You might need to make sure your booster is in place correctly...I know sometimes if it isn't in the right position, it can block the barrel from going back in.

Item B:
My understanding is the WL receiver is longer then a normal 42...so some guys remove the buttstock or as another poster here had done was to twist the stock horizontally to get it into place.

I could be way off base, but it is at least a start for yah!
Feldkoch

Post by Feldkoch »

Thanks! Great to have some other poor soles to commiserate with! I've checked the booster and even removed it entirely...the recuperator just seems to really hit it square on.
And it looks like the butt stock isn't the problem but the trigger housing fitting into the mechanism that fits in and fires the trigger...what the heck do tyou call that! Anyway, that seems to be where it's hitting. I don't see any recourse except shaving down the aluminum trigger housing.
Other than that, how do you like your WLA?
Thanks so much!
Scott
Embalmer
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by Embalmer »

I love my m53. Been reliable *knock on wood*, and love how it looks on my mg3 mount in the the arms room

Got pics of the fit issue? May be easier to see before offering a remedy idea.
noonxnoon

Post by noonxnoon »

sorry...recouperator was more what I was getting at.

try to insert the barrel without the recouperator and see if it has any problems...

Embalmer was the one I was mentioning about turning the stock...he's got a great vid using his...and he has a WL 53 as well
Feldkoch

Post by Feldkoch »

This pic shows the recuperator...it's sticking out and hits the barrel...
It can be pushed in, lot of resistance, but I can't get it back and the barrel in at the same time.
I was hesitatnt to really whack it with a rubber mallet.
Thanks!
Scott
der Feldkoch
Attachments
MG421 (3).JPG
railsplitter

Post by railsplitter »

Had a similar issue with my own build. The '42 recoup is a strong set of springs and do not budge easily. When the barrel is inserted it needs to compress the springs. You will note a slight bevel on the face of the recoup, that helps get the unit pushing back as opposed to just binding altogether. Given the guns are typically two guns rewelded together there is a chance the dimensions are off. The test with out the recoup in place is a good one. Then see if the recoup is assembled correct and the face is contacting the barrel extension. The spings may be stiff and needs some working. The good news is it was in once! Its possible to use a thin piece of metal to act as a shoe horn as you push the barrel in place pushing the recoup backwards. :welcome:
Feldkoch

Post by Feldkoch »

I'll try that today. Thanks everybody!
Scott
der Feldkoch
bbrown
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel

Post by bbrown »

My M53 is kinda stiff, as well, but it's gotten better with being worked. What works for me is to hold the door closed with the left hand as far as it will go, then whack my left hand with my right hand. That gives enough impulse so that the beveled edges and push over each other and the cover latches shut tightly. For the long haul, however, a rubber mallet would probably result in fewer nasty words.

Bryan
oakrodent
Oberst
Oberst

Post by oakrodent »

Sounds like the front recoup bolt is in backwards. If the barrel is hitting it solidly with about 5mm of interference or more that is your problem. You need to unbolt the recoup and remove the front bolt assy. The long part of the tab points to the back, not the front. WLA is notorious for installing this bolt backwards. good luck
Spell check is down and I'm too lazy to get the dictionary
Feldkoch

Post by Feldkoch »

Well that problem is solved! Turns out a few good solid whacks with a rubber mallet drove it in. It looks to be seated correctly. I DO notice that when I cock it , there's a very loud "CLACK!" as you first draw the bolt back. Is this normal? Haven't fired it yet; waiting for better weather.
If I could ask for one more fix from you guys, it doesn't want to mount on my MG42 tripod. The rear lugs and front mount line up fine, but the larger aluminum trigger guard or housing of the WiseLite M53 won't fit into the trigger-pulling mechanism or whatever you call that. I don't want to butcher the tripod, and can't see any way around it except for shaving down the trigger guard. Has anyone else gotten around this? Again, thanks a million. The suppport on this forum has been fantastic!
Scott
der Feldkoch
Tripod mounting problem
Tripod mounting problem
Blanksguy
General
General

Post by Blanksguy »

Try mounting the rear "cross-pin" into the mount first.......then the front mount.

Regards, RichardS in MI.
US Army, Retired
Blanksguy2001@chartermi.net
railsplitter

Post by railsplitter »

"there's a very loud "CLACK!" as you first draw the bolt back. Is this normal?" Seems I've heard that before, most likely the sound of the bolt unlocking from the barrel extension.
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by DARIVS ARCHITECTVS »

Yes, that CLACK! you hear is the bolt releasing the barrel after drawing it back against the recuperator about 3/8". The bolt releases the barrel when the cams mounted on the receiver push the rollers inward, releasing the barrel. The recuperator then pushes the barrel forward sharply.
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury
noonxnoon

Post by noonxnoon »

I agree with the consensus about the bolt doing it's normal functions...it is quite loud...there is no way you are going to cock it and not surprise people a mile away!! :lol: :lol:
Feldkoch

Post by Feldkoch »

Excellent, that confirms my suspicions. If you're not sick of this thread yet, a couple more questions.
How do these things handle blanks? I have blanks for my K-98 and G-43, and I see several blank adaptors available. Any recomendations
for good sources of either? Also who has the best live ammo for these?
I'm a WW2 German reenactor and am looking forward to using this baby with blanks in some evets if it works out well.
I own an original German WW2 Grosse Feldkuche (Field Kitchen) and am the Kompanie cook for 2nd Panzer Division here in Illinois.
If you're ever in Lowell Indiana the first weekend of May, or at the Rockford IL event at Midway Village Sept 24 & 25, stop by the field kitchen and I'll serve you some grub as a small payback for the great advice! Thanks again
Scott der Feldkoch
(check us out at http://www.2ndpanzerdivision.com)
Attachments
p7p1.JPG
Feldkoch

Post by Feldkoch »

(Actually I guess I've read most of the info on blanks and ammo I need from the site...amazing the stuff on here...but if any of you still wants to give me there their humble opinion I appreciate it!)
Thanks again
Scott
der feldkoch
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by DARIVS ARCHITECTVS »

Have Richard (BlanksGuy) sell you a two piece blank firing barrel. It's a copy of the WWII original. No other design works as well. See you at Rockford!
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury
noonxnoon

Post by noonxnoon »

whoa!

Never thought about it...but cool you got an 'original' field kitchen!

Easy to think about the guns, tanks, cool insignia...but one tends to forget about the unsung heros trying to keep the troops moral up!

Thanks for sharing.
Feldkoch

Post by Feldkoch »

Yeah, you never see the supply guys in the Hollywood moves! That's what interested me, the supply trains, bakeries, butcher companies. The field kitchens made it possible for the combat crews to keep going. I enjoy my trigger time, but it's a cool feeling to have 200 combat German combat soldiers lined up and dish them out a mess kit full of gulash or stew. Real time-machine stuff! :lol: