The MG34/42 by Folke Myrvang

Anything MG34 related.
Turtleguy

The MG34/42 by Folke Myrvang

Post by Turtleguy »

First Post.
Hi there, where can I get a copy of The MG34/42 by Folke Myrvang, for a decent price? It looks like a good book for me to use and get aquainted with the extra goodies and tools used on the MG34. Is the book as good as it looks ?
Thanks
Turtleguy
Sd.kfz.173
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Re: The MG34/42 by Folke Myrvang

Post by Sd.kfz.173 »

Might try amazon. Got mine there at a fair price. Welcome to the site :welcome:

Bill :mg:
2receivers
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel

Post by 2receivers »

You should really consider the german books translated into english by jbaum---a member on this board. He offers several different books and all are great additions to your mg34 library
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by JBaum »

Myrvang's book is worth buying for the history and development of the guns, pictures of the accessories, manufacturing processes, etc. For operating instructions, the original manuals are required. It depends on what you want as to which source you go to.

Amazon has sold out of original new copies. They offer used ones for $210. The guy who publishes Collector Grade books is retiring and trying to sell the business. Who knows if there will be any more of Myrvang's book published, or if it will become a $275 collector's item like World of Lugers did.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
Chappy
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Post by Chappy »

Hello,

I bought mine direct from Folkes website.

They do appear on Ebay now and again, not at $200 though :shock: or at least I have not seen any going for that sort of price.

Regards,

Mark.
longhorn109
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by longhorn109 »

Wow that has gone up in price quite a bit since I bought mine!
The only thing that helps me maintain my slender grip on reality is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes.
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

I bow to John on a lot of things. Good Translated German books. On the Myrvang MG34/42 book, when I talked with the folks at Collectors grade they said the they were working on a 2nd edition of the book and Myrvang was adding more material to the book and hope to have it out in 6 months, about 1 month ago. I think that the book is very good in a lot of areas but is light on some areas and very heavy in other areas. I think that it's over kill on concrete bunker mounts and different countries doing things and other designs and light on who made what and more detail is needed on the internal parts, However that's just my thoughts on a book that's trying to cover a lot of stuff for a lot of diffeent folks.

Later 42rocker
railsplitter

Post by railsplitter »

Try this guy "Dolf Goldsmith" in Texas or do like me just web surf the title $80.00 :D
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Here for $100... Note is now out of print with hopes of a 2nd ed. So if thinking about one,,,, everyone is starting to learn about the out of print and all are starting to raise prices...

http://mg34.com/LIBRARY-c18/

Later 42rocker
TactAdv
Major
Major

Post by TactAdv »

Yes, Folke -IS- working on an updated release of his original book as we speak. I have been in very current continuing discussions with him now as he is running down lots of pertinent new information for inclusion in the next printing edition. As he has said to me recently, the new edition will both update the original, and importantly, add much new information on the Post-War guns. He was just very recently on a major trip to visit and collect more data in Europe/UK.

And no, I have no idea on the timeline, but I would guess at least a year from now.

Blake Stevens is still in the game, there is nothing definite that I am aware of as to him hanging up his printers smock in the immediate future. The problem with "trying to sell Collectors Grade Publications" is that it is REALLY a labor-of-love enterprise, and will be very hard to just hand over the reins to someone new.

That said, John's books are absolute must-have resources for all technical details. They really are the only current source for the original armorers details. Can't recommend them enough.....and I have a full shelf of them. ;-)
-TomH
Vieles ist bekannt, dass ist nicht offenbart.
Gulfstream4
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by Gulfstream4 »

Thanks for the update TomH. Keep us in the loop of Folkes progress. I'm sure all of us are looking forward to the 2nd additon.
Gulfstream4
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by Gulfstream4 »

Check out ebay. I did see Folkes book for sale.
olli
Major
Major

Post by olli »

I've bougt 2 of Myrvangs book, just to be sure I got it :D
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

I bought 2 used ones then sold the 2nd one to someone on this site for cost. It's a good read and great to refer to. Looking forward to the 2nd ed just not the new and improved price that I think is coming.

Later 42rocker