Is anybody still building a 34? here's my build in progress

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
walkerheaders

Is anybody still building a 34? here's my build in progress

Post by walkerheaders »

looks like my last post here was several years ago when i welded the front 2/3rds of my receiver.
I always thought i could come up with a better system, but never really applied myself to it. (maybe on the next one) so, with that said I finally got off my butt and ordered the TNW kit friday night.
a girl named MacKenzie is answering the phones there now. I asked for the small parts kit, some TN25 grease, instruction blueprints and a copy of the BATF letter. she will ask Lance and mail the stuff on Monday. did i forget to ask for something important?

I have read every post here on the subject and studied Pirates tutorial, so i'll post some progress as i go. I have a mill, lathe and TIG here at home and at work, so i should be able to move along once i get rolling.

thanx for all of the info i have found here. it has helped me a great deal and i hope to return the favor by sharing my experiance.

PS: i chucked the bolt carrier up in the mill thinking i was gonna knock the sear lug off with an endmill............wrong. back to the beltsander for that one. LOL
walkerheaders

Re: Is anybody still building a 34? here's my build in progr

Post by walkerheaders »

I copied several sets of drawings i found here and went with the most current dated. I sure hope that doesnt bite me, since my kit (and drawings) will be here in a few days.
I have only machined the bolt parts so far. I have several sets of extra parts if need be.
My late brother bought lots of de-mil over the years. he had big plans to make something from all of it, then got too sick and left it behind. I'm the only person who knew what any of it was. ( several MP44's, MG34's, MP40's, G43's an MP30 etc...) his estate thought it was a crate of torched scrap metal. I got them to deliver it to my garage.
I sold some of the kits and parts over the years that i couldnt use, still have a few left.
So, I am starting with his MG34 first. he tried to get this one together, but never did. (so this one is important to me)

I am not a gunsmith, but a lifelong fabricator of chromemoly and exotic racecar parts, also i work in the Robotics Division of General Dynamics as a master technician.
I dont know exactly what i'm doing, so i'll watch you guys and try to follow along. (also a GIANT thanx to PIRATE's tutorials)

it's hard for me to feel like working on my projects after all day at work. I could stay late and use the good machines, but my old bones get tired.
at home i have a semi- cheesy chinese hobby mill and lathe. you can see in the pictures. it's good enough for the mods I have made so far.

cutting the main slot with a carbide burr and some wax. I took my time and it turned out very nice:
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p74/ ... G_3696.jpg

next i made a tool to hold the firing pin sleeve into the lathe, and mounted (and squared) the dremel onto the toolpost:
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p74/ ... G_3699.jpg

after some careful measuring and getting the speeds right, the slot came out nice:
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p74/ ... G_3702.jpg

then rough cut the sleeve to length:
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p74/ ... G_3704.jpg

tool and finished sleeve:
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p74/ ... G_3707.jpg

rough cut the length of the pin lock nut with a large cut-off wheel in the mill. I finished it with a honing stone and deburred real nicely:
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p74/ ... G_3716.jpg

I rough cut the bolt length with a 3/4 carbide endmill then finished with a honing stone and deburr wheel:
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p74/ ... G_3717.jpg

I cut the chamfer on the back of the bolt carrier to specs with a 3/8 carbide endmill, but it may need more removed later:
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p74/ ... G_3722.jpg
walkerheaders

Post by walkerheaders »

uh-oh..... I cannot figure out how to edit my last post so that the pics come up when page is opened. sorry.
walkerheaders

Post by walkerheaders »

gonna try again to continue with my build pics and story:

I found a very light spring to use as a test for the firing pin and bolt assy. makes life so much simpler when you operate it by hand. then when everything is good, install the "real one".

as a cure for not having some of the necessary blocks in the receiver, i invented one piece that is the FA sear channel block, trigger roller surface and sear return spring pad all in one:
here is the "walker block" installed (pressed in and ready to weld) this is the roller surface:
down inside above the sear return spring area (11.5 mm deep like the TNW receiver):
FA sear channel block: and i have another at the rear when i weld the rear on.
test assembled on the bench and it works:
walkerheaders

Post by walkerheaders »

[quote="walkerheaders"]I copied several sets of drawings i found here and went with the most current dated. I sure hope that doesnt bite me, since my kit (and drawings) will be here in a few days.
I have only machined the bolt parts so far. I have several sets of extra parts if need be.
My late brother bought lots of de-mil over the years. he had big plans to make something from all of it, then got too sick and left it behind. I'm the only person who knew what any of it was. ( several MP44's, MG34's, MP40's, G43's an MP30 etc...) his estate thought it was a crate of torched scrap metal. I got them to deliver it to my garage.
I sold some of the kits and parts over the years that i couldnt use, still have a few left.
So, I am starting with his MG34 first. he tried to get this one together, but never did. (so this one is important to me)

I am not a gunsmith, but a lifelong fabricator of chromemoly and exotic racecar parts, also i work in the Robotics Division of General Dynamics as a master technician.
I dont know exactly what i'm doing, so i'll watch you guys and try to follow along. (also a GIANT thanx to PIRATE's tutorials)

it's hard for me to feel like working on my projects after all day at work. I could stay late and use the good machines, but my old bones get tired.
at home i have a semi- cheesy chinese hobby mill and lathe. you can see in the pictures. it's good enough for the mods I have made so far.

cutting the main slot with a carbide burr and some wax. I took my time and it turned out very nice:
next i made a tool to hold the firing pin sleeve into the lathe, and mounted (and squared) the dremel onto the toolpost:
after some careful measuring and getting the speeds right, the slot came out nice:
then rough cut the sleeve to length:
tool and finished sleeve:

rough cut the length of the pin lock nut with a large cut-off wheel in the mill. I finished it with a honing stone and deburred real nicely:

I rough cut the bolt length with a 3/4 carbide endmill then finished with a honing stone and deburr wheel:

I cut the chamfer on the back of the bolt carrier to specs with a 3/8 carbide endmill, but it may need more removed later:
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by 42rocker »

Looks like your on your way. Good Luck with your "walkerblock".

Later 42rocker
walkerheaders

Post by walkerheaders »

thanx rocker.
i have seen your projects looking good.
PS: i have no idea what else to call my block invention.......LOL
but i can say that i would be willing to share the drawing if anybody is interested.

the old tutorial that Pirate posted is great and spurred me to do my own build.
i do wonder if the TNW parts have changed since then, some of it's not the same now.

anyhow, thanx for the reply.
anjongni
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by anjongni »

Nice looking work, Walker. There are a couple of us here with operating TNWs if you need any dimensions, photos, etc., please let us know. Keep up the great shop pics!...Phil
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Someday I'll start one of the two mg34 parts kits that I have around here. Seeing your posts makes me want to get at them. However just spent the last several hours cutting plywood to redo the attic area to store stuff. Then talked with the daughter about her upcoming wedding. Too much of this real world stuff need to get back to whats important... Wait hold that thought. Daughters Wedding is more important, mg34 parts kit later..... Good Luck with your "walkerblock" and your builds....

Later 42rocker
walkerheaders

Post by walkerheaders »

anjongni wrote:Nice looking work, Walker. There are a couple of us here with operating TNWs if you need any dimensions, photos, etc., please let us know. Keep up the great shop pics!...Phil
thanx alot guys, i appreciate it and may wind up needing some dimensions. mostly i posted this build to maybe help others. there is a lot of info out on the web in different places. finding all the info and making sure it is good compatable (with your modern components) info is the hard part.
Bob Walker Jr.
netsnerb
Friendly New Guy
Friendly New Guy

Post by netsnerb »

I havent checked in for quite a while --but I'm glad I finally did. These pixs are qreat and the "Walker Block" is very cool.
I have 3 kits and really want to get busy on one. First is welding with the fixture from Pirate. He suggests stainless rod/wire. Is this what you guys are using?
George
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Any new updates on this??

Later 42rocker
netsnerb
Friendly New Guy
Friendly New Guy

Post by netsnerb »

Hi Guys,
Yup, me again but still didn't get started. I loook at the pixs once in a while to get cranked up but there are so many Summer/Fall events etc I just keep hoping.
George