reloading for semi-auto mg53

Anything MG42 related.
Sw1ngK1ng
Unteroffizieranwärter
Unteroffizieranwärter
Anti-spam: Mg42

reloading for semi-auto mg53

Post by Sw1ngK1ng »

I just finished my setup for reloading 8mm with 298 grain projectiles and hodgdon h414 powder. My reloading book recommends 45gr. of powder so I made a few to the books spec as well as some at 42gr. of powder since my mg runs really smoothly. It is a long drive for me to testfire so dose anyone have a working load with this powder that I could should also try?
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Re: reloading for semi-auto mg53

Post by JBaum »

If you already have 42 and 45 grain loads, why not make a belt with 43 and 44? Mark each belt, and listen to the gun run when you shoot them. The gun will tell you when you get the right amount of powder, as it will run with a cadence that isn't there with too little powder, and doesn't run any better with more. My gun likes 44 grains of Hodgdon BL-C(2). Each powder is a little different, but the only way to know for sure what's best for your gun is to try different loads. A half grain makes a difference, so once you get it to, let's say, 43 grains, try 42.5 and 43.5 and see if there's a difference between them.

Use the lease amount of powder possible to make the gun run smoothly.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
Sw1ngK1ng
Unteroffizieranwärter
Unteroffizieranwärter

Post by Sw1ngK1ng »

jbaum wrote:If you already have 42 and 45 grain loads, why not make a belt with 43 and 44? Mark each belt, and listen to the gun run when you shoot them. The gun will tell you when you get the right amount of powder, as it will run with a cadence that isn't there with too little powder, and doesn't run any better with more. My gun likes 44 grains of Hodgdon BL-C(2). Each powder is a little different, but the only way to know for sure what's best for your gun is to try different loads. A half grain makes a difference, so once you get it to, let's say, 43 grains, try 42.5 and 43.5 and see if there's a difference between them.

Use the least amount of powder possible to make the gun run smoothly.

OK, I already reload for 45acp but i can be plus of minus a grain and have no difference because there is still unburnt powder leaving the barrel so I never noticed the difference when trying different amounts. Ill do some more loads and report the results after. Thanks for the tip!
Sw1ngK1ng
Unteroffizieranwärter
Unteroffizieranwärter

Post by Sw1ngK1ng »

My mg seems to like 42gr. loads, just going to add 1/2gr. for reliability. Dose anyone have a good source for projectiles? Best deal I have found is .30c a piece for privi 198 grain fmj, some cheeper 170gr. stuff but this privy stuff is much nicer.
akvalmet30
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Post by akvalmet30 »

Don't dare touch a round off with a 298 gr. bullet and that powder charge! Hah, joke though, I know you meant a 198 gr.