Which drum for the MG1 top cover and feed tray?

Anything MG42 related.
automation
Friendly New Guy
Friendly New Guy
Anti-spam: Mg42

Which drum for the MG1 top cover and feed tray?

Post by automation »

Greetings meine Waffenbrüder,

I picked up a couple of M53 kits from APEX, and managed to get a couple of the MG1 .308 conversion kits from RTG before they dried up. I see the MG3 drums for sale, as well as the MG42 drums, but I'm having a hard time finding a definitive answer on which drum(s) are usable with the MG1 top cover and feed tray. These are my first MGs, and I'm still absorbing all I can from this site as well as WeaponsGuild (not to mention trying to get my mandatory post count up!). Any advice from those in the know would be greatly appreciated.

Along the same lines, can the MG1 top cover be used with the MG3 feed tray (or can it be modified to work?) If there is a 'sticky' on this, a pointer would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance!

Automation
Der Alder
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Re: Which drum for the MG1 top cover and feed tray?

Post by Der Alder »

First off, welcome to the board.

The MG3 type drums (the plastic black round and plastic green box type can only attach to a MG3 feed tray. The metal 8mm Yugo and German type drums can only attach to the 8mm feed tray.

The .308 MG1 type are also known as "Spanish contract" drums which are a more rare type in the US as compared to the plastic HK MG3 type.

The MG1 type are metal and marked "7.62x51mm NATO".

I've found too that this is the only type of drum that will fit on the MG3 Laffette tripod as the other types will interfere with the mount.

From left to right, MG42/Yugo M53 8mm 50 round, MG3 50 round plastic, MG3 120 round plastic box type and MG1 metal 50 round type.
Close up of Spanish contract NATO type:

As for using the MG1 top cover with the MG3 FT, they do not work together. One problem is the raised block on the MG3 FT to help eject links prevent it from closing, there may be other issues as well. Best to use covers and FT's in pairs as per type. Perhaps they could be modified, but I would just try to find a MG3 cover if you intend to use that type feed tray and drums.

One cool thing is too you can run both belts and links with the MG3 cover/FT. It can run DM-1 belts, German DM-6 links and Nato M13 links* (when using a an "0" marked feed pawl*) and it has a nifty feature so that it stays open without falling until you close it.

There is a stickie section here...this one covers some of this info as well;
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2354
automation
Friendly New Guy
Friendly New Guy
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by automation »

Thank you sir, very glad to be here!

I very much appreciate the detailed info, and posting the pictures. Now I understand why the MG1 conversion kits that RTG was selling were cheaper than the MG3 kits. I haven't seen any of the MG1 style drums for sale, and "rare" usually equals "expensive" in most hobbies. I will see if I can round up a MG3 top cover, but I'm sure I'm not the only person looking for those these days. My original plan was just to be able to swap between 8mm and 7.62mm on both guns, but this may not be as realistic (or as easy) as I had imagined. If the MG3 covers are getting scarce, and the MG1 drums are even more scarce, I may end up with one gun configured as a 8mm M53, and the other as a 7.62mm MG3 (which wouldn't be that bad, actually). I have been able to round up some of the 50 round belts & starter tabs for the 8mm, and just picked up a few hundred of the DM6 links from RTG for the 7.62, so I think I have enough to get me started.

Again, I really appreciate the info - it makes it much easier to shop when one knows what to shop for!
Der Alder
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by Der Alder »

The metal MG1 type drums are rarer than the MG3 plastic, but they aren't super rare. Thing is they have dried up from the vendors but they do pop up once in a while on Gunbroker 2nd hand. I've seen them on Ebay as well once in while. Back when a batch of them came into the US about 10 years ago they went for as little as $25 much like the MG3 type now. Seems the average price now for the metal MG1 type when I see them is about $100.

RTG has the MG3 conversion kits back in stock with the top covers, FT, barrel and other accessories. To run the DM-6 links you mentioned you will need a MG3 top cover and FT. I like running them, but get tired of picking them up so I mainly run the DM-1 belts now. That said it's a good idea to have the parts to run both 8mm and 7.62 as we never know where the surplus parts or ammo will be going. Always good to have options IMO.