Bolt Hold Open Pictures?

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
MGSchutze
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter
Anti-spam: Mg42

Bolt Hold Open Pictures?

Post by MGSchutze » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:33 pm

I have read the thread on the bolt hold open, but pictures are worth 1000 words. All the photos seem to be missing from this topic. I am pretty close to finishing my build, however I really want to add a bolt hold-open device to it before its completed.

Does anyone have the photos and descriptions? It would be a big help. Thank you.

marknct
Leutnant
Leutnant

Re: Bolt Hold Open Pictures?

Post by marknct » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:48 am

Seems to work
Attachments
BH smaller.JPG

marknct
Leutnant
Leutnant

Post by marknct » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:50 am

Forgot how to do multiple pics first time around
Attachments
100_1550.JPG
100_1549.JPG

MGSchutze
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Post by MGSchutze » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:56 pm

Thank you for posting these!

Wow, this a bit different from the last design i saw, which had the stud welded to the ratchet plate. This style seems a bit better, although i am missing a small bit off the back end of my ratchet plate.

How do you like this design? Easy to use? Does it get in the way of charging the weapon, clearing malfunctions, ect?

I see this ass a neccesity on this weapon, so thank you.

marknct
Leutnant
Leutnant

Post by marknct » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:37 am

You wouldn't know it was there, the CH spring biases the front hook against the plate. I'm a huge believer in BH for these types of things. People should know better but they still touch things when they shouldn't. You should be able to play with the numbers if your plate is short, there really isn't a right or wrong length there. If you need something else let me know. This useless blurry shot did remind me that the piece came from solid. The 1/4 and .06 rads are from corner rounding and corner rad mills. Before somebody tries to bend one up, yikes.
Attachments
DSC02129.JPG

MGSchutze
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Post by MGSchutze » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:11 pm

I am missing a bit of my ratchet plate on the back, but based on your photo, I think this could be adjusted for with the length of the hook on the charging handle. I have a few questions, if you dont mind.

Just to clarify, this hold open does not effect operation of the charging handle during operation, right? Like correcting malfunction and chambering a round?

So based on your photo, it looks like the hold-open is keeping the bolt just short of contact with the buffer spring?

How did you get the groove on the back of your ratchet plate?

I am ocillating between this method and the stud on the ratchet plate, but this method actually seems a bit easier and less intrusive/noticeable. The only PITA I can see is getting that groove on the back of the ratchet plate and I am also lacking some material thickness on the back of my ratchet plate. I suppose I could build it up with some weld and raise it back up but not sure.

FYI: not done blending welds yet. Only threw some cold blue on the welds to see how well it would blend with original finish. Probably need to go back over and fill a couple places on the insides of the welds too.
Attachments
20191204_203349.jpg

marknct
Leutnant
Leutnant

Post by marknct » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:11 pm

You could make a brass shim about the thickness you want and lay it on the recvr. Then weld over it to the backside of your plate, I used a woodruff on BRP halves. You could have your "cut" then with a little file work.
Wouldn't know it was there. Pull back and engage, it's held there very well. Then pull back on the handle and it releases itself.
The tail of the BRP b/c is about even with the end of the top cover slot.
I remember seeing the stud device, can't remember why I did something else. It was a few years back.
That actually looks like a factory weld with the cold blue on it.
I'm thinking I might finally have time to finish my camming section write up and my other threads. It stalled last time when the cameras and computers crashed and it took forever to get pics back. Anything else let me know.
Sorry for the blur again, it was before I had a macro.
Attachments
DSC02128.JPG

MGSchutze
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Post by MGSchutze » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:12 am

Thanks again for posting, Markntc. I will consider this design. I do like its unobtrusiveness and i DO have to build the back end of the ratchet plate back up anyway, to be proper.

Fjruples design using FAL parts sounds interesting, I wish the photos for the tube design were still up. Sounds a bit above my skill level though. Once I get my gun back from my friend whos assisting me with parts of this build, Ill not have the ability to weld or mill things out. Ill be back to dremeling. lol

At least if I go with the simple stud on the ratchet plate design (and welding the extra piece onto the charging handle), I'll have the ability to fine-tune it at home. Once I obtain a spare charging handle, Ill have to weld and fit that too, but tomato tomato. Ill have to do the same for an extra modified SA bolt as well.

One day in the not-so-distant-future, I really want to learn how to weld. Its just a cost issue right now.

42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:09 pm

Good ideas. I have extra parts, need work on getting things pulled take pics and get them up for sale.

Later 42rocker