Barrel Dimensions

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
86Merk
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter
Anti-spam: Mg42

Barrel Dimensions

Post by 86Merk » Sat May 23, 2020 6:46 am

I have a .308 barrel blank and a barrel extension. Also I have the original barrel stub so the chamber end is taken care of. Lathe, taper attachment, reamers, etc...

What I need is the overall length, length of the section that fits into the front bushing, diameter of the two ridges on the muzzle end and diameter at the end of the taper.

Are there drawings available somewhere, or has someone measured one?

Thanks
Gary

Jaredrlewman
Feldwebel
Feldwebel

Re: Barrel Dimensions

Post by Jaredrlewman » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:55 pm

I spent good $ having barrels reverse engineered and blueprinted because the info was not available.

86Merk
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Post by 86Merk » Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:52 am

Fair enough, I *think* you're a commercial builder and I would never ask you to divulge info that could cost your business.

At this time I believe I'm covered. I posted a tie rod based blank in the last thread I started on the other forum we are on, but without any information on dimensions.

Is there an unspoken (or spoken for that matter) etiquette on asking for or providing drawings or CAD models for shop made components?

thanks
gary

JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:04 pm

You MIGHT be able to buy a dimension drawing from someone who paid to get it made, but it's not likely. Once something like that goes out into the world, it seems to appear on every gun board in short order. Which means that the person/company that put out the money to start with, doesn't recover another dime for their expenses, time, and knowledge after that. Being bitten once is enough for anyone to know not to do that again.

It's the same reason I don't sell PDF files of my manuals. I only did that once, many years ago. It was a small manual that "only" took 3 weeks of work, and within two weeks after I emailed it to a guy in Canada, it was spread all over the internet. I was being nice to save the guy $10 in postage and 10 days of waiting for the mail. I don't even stock that manual anymore. Sales of it are gone. I made less on that manual than it cost me to buy in German to start with, and lost 3 weeks of work translating it besides that.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com

86Merk
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Post by 86Merk » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:39 am

I understand what you mean. Not that it matters but I bought the armorers manual and the M53 manual from you John, very happy with both but part of the reason I got them was looking for some dimensioned drawings.

My response to Jared was genuine, I'll not expect him, nor anyone else, to provide any information that he had to pay for. I made a blank barrel, both for practice and to align the barrel bearing. I had intended to post a DXF and STEP file of it but I won't.
fixture1.png
This is an example made from a tie rod, extra long because I decided to make my own barrel bearing. BTW don't trust the drawings you find of that part either.

Now for a completely different question; with the fall of the Soviet Union what happened to the original technical drawings? If anyone knows I figure you do John.

JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:16 am

I've never seen original drawings for most of the German guns. The MG42 was still made after WWII, progressing into the MG1 and MG3, which is still being made today. As such, it seems that the Russians never got hold of those drawings, and since the Germans still license the manufacture of the gun, I'm sure they keep the original dimension drawings locked up.

Dimension drawings aren't something you'll find in a field maintenance manual, since the field repairmen wouldn't be making barrels, bolts, and trigger groups. Even a depot level maintenance manual won't have that, and I've never found a factory level manual that has dimensions either. I've translated over 200 manuals, and don't have dimension drawings for anything German. There are a few dimensions (such as receiver or spring length and size, but nothing that could be really used directly for making gun parts. If that's what you were looking for, you could have asked and I'd have said that those drawings aren't in a field manual.

The East German manuals have dimension drawings for small parts that wear out or break, but those are for emergency use to make a temporary replacement to keep the guns in service until new factory parts can be acquired. Apparently they didn't keep stocks of small parts in the field.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com